Why don't any MMA fighters train classical martial arts?

I know the answer to this is going to be, “Because they don’t work.” But that’s not enough for me. What’s inherently wrong with them so that they don’t work? Is it that they don’t have the techniques available to hurt people for real? I doubt that. All of the styles widely studied by successful MMA fighter; wrestling, BJJ, boxing Muay Thai, are styles that have live practices and fighting. Is that the reason?

Because most traditional martial arts have been watered down to nothing and are being taught by cowboys.

What do you mean by Classical? Muay Thai is hundreds of years old- while it’s style has changed over the years, so has that of every other traditional martial art.

There are plenty of guys with backgrounds in Taekwondo- L’oiseau for one. Judo is another martial art that is gaining popularity amongst MMA competitors- Yoshida in Pride is a good example- along with the UFC’s Karo Parysian.

You could well be right about the live sparring factor…In the dark and distant past I studied Karate for 10 years. Sparring always involved no contact to the face and any other contact was to be ridiculously light- it would be hard for someone who relied on this as a base to fight in full contact events. I had to unlearn a lot before I went into Muay Thai and kickboxing- That is not to say that I did’nt carry anything over from Karate- On the contrary, it gave me a lot of speed, timing, and accuracy.

I think that perhaps a lot of people who take up traditional martial arts are not interested in fighting. Also in a one on one situation, I really think a wrestler or Muay thai fighter would simply plough through say, a Xing Yi Quan stylist. I am admittedly reasonably ignorant when it comes to kung fu, but what I have seen is that they have no idea about how to defend their heads, and blocking strong kicks with the wrists and forearms is a ticket to the hospital.

Having said that, I mety a guy who has bare knuckle boxing experience and was grappling long before the UFC thing hit. I think that guy may be fenlander judging from his posts- he said that he was studying some wing chun that is brutal, and definatley a credible fighting system…

yes that is me. I also agree with your entire post!

You are a Thai boxer Canis, then have you seen the Burmese boxing i guess you have. When i say Burmese boxing i mean as it is practiced in Burma. Just like Thai boxing except no gloves and to make it even more brutal the hands are taped. Ouch !!! that is what i call a fight :notworthy:
you can buy vcd’s of it i believe, although not easy to find.

I’ve seen a couple of tapes of the Burmese boxing- good stuff.

I train Taiji. :smiley:

I credit my take down skills to Taiji (and natural talent :slight_smile:). Taiji brings one thing to my game that I don’t think anything else does…

Sensitivity (not crying at girly movies sensitivity.) Legend has it that the higher level Taiji cats could react to moves as soon as you thought about doing them (or something like that).

Sensitive like a cat!

Stealthy…like a jungle cat. Promise not to drool on me when I Make you purr. Shudder :joker:

Reminds me…

I train Ninjitsu as well!

Come off it Miltown. You have no take down skills. You’re just so monsterously strong that all you need to do is get a hand on someone and you can throw them all over the place.

All because of Taiji :wink:

See, even when you get some skills from TMA, people just blame it on freakish strength. :laughing:

This is what makes you the best guy to train with. Your sense of humour, even in the face of scathing criticism remains hilarious. But honestly, you have a point. As I once said to you, I agree that there are many amazing fight techniques ready to be discovered in TMA. Mark Denny, a well-known practitioner of one of these TMA, once said that a technique too deadly to use is an untested technique. One of his great innovations was a search for methods to put these teachniques ‘too deadly to use’ to the test. I wish there were more practitioners of Tai Chi, Wing Chung, or whatever willing to come out and train MMA without seeing it a test of their style. I can say for a fact that I’m willing and ready to accept that there are great things I can learn from these guys. I hope that they’d be just as willing to accept that their styles can’t possibly remain at the top without an equal wilingness to innovate and change.