Why don't they have_______ in Taiwan?

Self-sticking postal stamps, or at least stamps that you only have to lick before sticking them on, instead of globbing the paste on with a brush and getting it on your fingers and when you push down the stamp the paste oozes out so perhaps the letter will stick to other letters. I’ve seen the same paste and brush technique in Vietnam or Cambodia, but fer crisakes, Taiwan boasts about its technology – why not some decent stamps?

Telephone directory assistance, so you can call and ask for the number of Sandman in Bitan, for instance, and they’ll give it to you unless he requested anonymity. My understanding is that in Taiwan directory assistance is only available for businesses, not individuals, and even then only for businesses that request it. Why so lame? With a monopoly on phone services it should be no problem for Chunghwa to provide this simple basic service.

Real estate magazines, like they have in every city and town in the US, crammed full of photos of properties for sale, with prices, descriptions and the various realtors’ contact info. Such magazines are tremendously helpful for buyers and are surely well worth the price for realtors who post ads in them. So why the hell don’t they have them in Taiwan? Instead, here one must walk down the street looking at the photos in the windows of individual realtors and deal with one realtor at a time (not that I want to buy a house here, but just wondering).

Probably because the humidity would cause all the stamps to stick together. Same reason they don’t have lickable envelopes.

That said, the last time I went to the post office (2 weeks ago), I was given lickable stamps.

Maybe it’s because there are too many people with the same names here: Chen Da-Ming, Zhang Mei-Ling, etc.

I just bought some of those the other day at 7-11 so I guess they’re here now.

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]

Real estate magazines, like they have in every city and town in the US, crammed full of photos of properties for sale, with prices, descriptions and the various realtors’ contact info. Such magazines are tremendously helpful for buyers and are surely well worth the price for realtors who post ads in them. So why the hell don’t they have them in Taiwan? Instead, here one must walk down the street looking at the photos in the windows of individual realtors and deal with one realtor at a time (not that I want to buy a house here, but just wondering).[/quote]

They publish everyday in the papers or some of them have their own publishing and are delivered with the papers everyday.

But the pictures are so lame :s

Probably because they have to many surnames in Taiwan and China. In western countries you only have like 26 of them, easy … but here man how many? Impossible to rank. :slight_smile: would look more as a dictionary.

Free Public Schools (K-12)

National Do-Not-Call List (telemarketing)

Arby’s, Baja Fresh, In-N-Out Burger, Long John Silver’s, Souplantation, Mrs. Fields

Law ENFORCEMENT - particularly traffic enforcement. I know this might be hard to believe for the majority of folks on this generally Taipei-centric forum, but outside of Taipei and Taoyuan - it’s pretty much a ruse and little more. Imagine how the quality of life would improve for all if there was actual traffic safety. Star there, and then work on cops actually following their OTHER responsibilities in enforcing law and public safety in a reasonable, responsible manner.

Dream the impossible dream…

Respect for Other Living Things - if you’re not family or friends or offering favors or money then you don’t exist. Ahaa, the joys of the occasional feeling of “fellowship of man” in such simple gestures as holding doors open enough for the people behind you to NOT get slammed in the noggin’ and other small favors of courtesy.

A Better Offering Of Nightlife From Jeelung to Kaohsiung, the island has the sorriest nightlife of any Asian nation that isn’t under Islamic law or military dictatorship…

Better respect for soldiers… for some reason military personnels here are treated with upmost disrespect. If you were ran over by someone even if its his fault you still pay the penalty. Its like being a soldier is like jews wearing the star of david in nazi germany. I just thought that people should deserve more for protecting the country…

Pav.

Real Christmas Cake like mom makes

This might stem from the fact that military service is compulsory for males here. It means the Army is filled with soldiers who simply don’t want to be there or care about what they’re doing, and since every male serves time in the army it’s not like it’s something special.

[quote=“Ric Flair”]Law ENFORCEMENT - particularly traffic enforcement. I know this might be hard to believe for the majority of folks on this generally Taipei-centric forum, but outside of Taipei and Taoyuan - it’s pretty much a ruse and little more. Imagine how the quality of life would improve for all if there was actual traffic safety. Star there, and then work on cops actually following their OTHER responsibilities in enforcing law and public safety in a reasonable, responsible manner.

Dream the impossible dream…

Respect for Other Living Things - if you’re not family or friends or offering favors or money then you don’t exist. Ahaa, the joys of the occasional feeling of “fellowship of man” in such simple gestures as holding doors open enough for the people behind you to NOT get slammed in the noggin’ and other small favors of courtesy.

A Better Offering Of Nightlife From Jeelung to Kaohsiung, the island has the sorriest nightlife of any Asian nation that isn’t under Islamic law or military dictatorship…[/quote]

You really need to post more in the legislator’s thread ironlady posted. Great stuff, hope to see you post (a lot) more!

Walmart…seriously! I would be so much happier if I can buy everything in one place, instead of traveling all over the city to get something.

Just take a trip to nearby Mainland China. I mean, you’d be getting (in regards to cheap, household goods) things from the horse’s mouth. :wink:

Is there any place I can buy:

except for this site

Red Rooster :cluck:

Potato and gravy at KFC

One day cricket on 9

I don’t mean this lightly, but…’

(tempering anger)

…do a little bit of research on Wal-Mart and their violently destructive on small business capitalism, anti-labour, anti-human rights, etc., record. I don’t have time to throw you twenty zillion links proving my accusations. Just trust me on this - they are bad, bad guys, OK?

But they supply what I demand. Do some more research and see how well they treat the community and their employees.

[quote=“Quentin”][quote=“Frost”]

…do a little bit of research on Wal-Mart and their violently destructive on small business capitalism, anti-labour, anti-human rights, etc., record. I don’t have time to throw you twenty zillion links proving my accusations. Just trust me on this - they are bad, bad guys, OK?[/quote][/quote]

Well, I’d say this is true for most the big companies that outsource labors to places like China. I dont think the companies are completely to blame the system there has its share of blames as well. But the thing about business is all about money. That roadside stand wasnt there to feed you, they’re there for your wallet. That’s just the fact about business. But then again what would you do if those business didnt exist. Are you going to make your own scooter, soapbox, toothbrush, and all your everyday items? If you had a zillion dollars but no businesses to get whatever you need then those money are nothing but paperweights and rags. So lets just accept the fact that if you wanted you can say bad things about just about any stores/businesses but we need them just as much as they need us…

Why no Ben & Jerry’s in Taiwan?

True, Ha’agen-Daz is more rich and creamy than generic ice-milk. But it doesn’t compare to Ben & Jerry’s, especially regarding available flavors. To make matters worse, every store in Taiwan seems to stock only the lamest of H-D flavors – marshmallow toffee swirl, essence of caramel, vanilla pablum, and the like.

What I wouldn’t give for some real ice cream, some Ben & Jerry’s

• New York Super Fudge Chunk
  • Chocolate Fudge Brownie
  • Chunkie Monkey
  • Chubby Hubbie, or even the old favorite. . .
  • Cherry Garcia

Does B&J not ship internationally, just as Coors once didn’t ship more than 1 or 2,000 miles? I doubt it.

Or does H-D have some killer contract locked up with Welcom and President-UNI, such that no other premium icecream brands can get in? Maybe.

Or is B&J not interested in Taiwan because they know how Asians get so fixated on fancy-schmancy name brands that they actually believe HD is made by the king of Denmark, or something, unaware that the name is a made up word and the stuff is made in New Jersey (maybe if they would visit NJ, they wouldn’t think it’s so luxurious anymore)? Could be.

In any event, I’ll be in the states next month and I’ll be sure to eat lots of Ben & Jerry. :slight_smile: