Why Englishmen Make Poor English Teachers

Before you assail me with how ridiculous this claim is watch this video clip of the rule: i before e except after c:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duqlZXiIZqA&NR=1

Ooh, if that’s not a deliberately confrontational thread title I don’t know what is :slight_smile: .

Nice find, Fox. That’s a really good link to show Taiwanese adult students just to emphasise the weaknesses in the ‘rules’ they’ve had drilled into them at school.

[quote=“tomthorne”]Ooh, if that’s not a deliberately confrontational thread title I don’t know what is :slight_smile: .

Nice find, Fox. That’s a really good link to show Taiwanese adult students just to emphasise the weaknesses in the ‘rules’ they’ve had drilled into them at school.[/quote]

That’s actually the funniest thing I’ve seen on TV in a while. It’s a bit heavy on the canned laughter.

[quote=“tomthorne”]Ooh, if that’s not a deliberately confrontational thread title I don’t know what is :slight_smile: .

Nice find, Fox. That’s a really good link to show Taiwanese adult students just to emphasise the weaknesses in the ‘rules’ they’ve had drilled into them at school.[/quote]
Those rules are all bullsh*t. How about the Be verb, and American “ain’t”?

[quote=“bismarck”][quote=“tomthorne”]Ooh, if that’s not a deliberately confrontational thread title I don’t know what is :slight_smile: .

Those rules are all bullsh*t. How about the Be verb, and American “ain’t”?[/quote]

well thats the point innit? the rule has been rescinded in this case…

“are you really that stupid?” :roflmao:

Oh man that was funny, thanks dude.

The only thing I hate worse than that rule is people who promote it.

[quote=“the bear”][quote=“bismarck”][quote=“tomthorne”]Ooh, if that’s not a deliberately confrontational thread title I don’t know what is :slight_smile: .

Those rules are all bullsh*t. How about the Be verb, and American “ain’t”?[/quote]

well thats the point innit? the rule has been rescinded in this case…

“are you really that stupid?” :roflmao:[/quote]

Only in British schools. There is no governing body controlling the English language, yet the way people are taught in Taiwan you would think there was. There is just a generally accepted standard. The number of times I get a student arguing the toss with me about how his teacher at Junior High had taught him such and such a rule…

Thanks Fox that was great start to my day, I’d forgotten how funny QI can be

That was funny. I’ve never seen that show before, but I liked it. Thanks.

Finding their prattle barely comprehensible, I did what I have noticed common when dealing with the British and turned up the volume.
Nope…no hep. I ain’t got the slightest idee what them folks 'er tawkin 'bout.
Funny lookin clothes on that modulator feller…he git paid extra for that?

(I am not an engrish teechur - mebbe thats why I dinit unnerstand 'em)

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]Finding their prattle barely comprehensible, I did what I have noticed common when dealing with the British and turned up the volume.

(I am not an engrish teechur - mebbe thats why I dinit unnerstand 'em)[/quote]

Turning up the volume to get it. That’ll work. The thing about the Brits and comedy is they have a never say die attitude and take it from there.

I common have notice British when did I.

Right.

It’s Stephen Fry, isn’t it?
Dr House’s old comedy partner?
He’s fucking hilarious, man.
Even the Henry Fuckin Porter kid was entertaining.

[quote=“the chief”]It’s Stephen Fry, isn’t it?
Even the Henry Fuckin Porter kid was entertaining.[/quote]

That wasn’t Henry Porter. That was that Anakin Skystalker kid.

[quote=“Chaon”][quote=“the chief”]It’s Stephen Fry, isn’t it?
Even the Henry Fuckin Porter kid was entertaining.[/quote]

That wasn’t Henry Porter. That was that Anakin Skystalker kid.[/quote]

Oh well what the fuck ever.
I hate Star Trek.

Except for the part with Mick Jagger’s daughter as Princess of the Midgets.
Or 7 Dwarves, I forget.
Because she was hot.

I think so. I only know him from the movies but it looks like him. The whole series is hilarious.

[quote=“Fox”][quote=“TainanCowboy”]Finding their prattle barely comprehensible, I did what I have noticed common when dealing with the British and turned up the volume.

Turning up the volume to get it. That’ll work.[/quote]

Of course it will. If anyone doesn’t understand me I just shout.

[quote=“tomthorne”][quote=“Fox”][quote=“TainanCowboy”]Finding their prattle barely comprehensible, I did what I have noticed common when dealing with the British and turned up the volume.

Of course it will. If anyone doesn’t understand me I just shout.[/quote]

Sorry, come again??

[quote=“the chief”][quote=“tomthorne”][quote=“Fox”][quote=“TainanCowboy”]Finding their prattle barely comprehensible, I did what I have noticed common when dealing with the British and turned up the volume.

Of course it will. If anyone doesn’t understand me I just shout.[/quote]

Sorry, come again??[/quote]

DO YOU UNDERSTAND THE WORDS COMING OUT OF MY MOUTH? WHY CAN’T YOU SPEAK ENGLISH?

Bloody foreigners.

Made my day!
:laughing: Thanks, fox.