Why I'd not recommend Airbnb anymore, at least in Taipei

Totally agree about not wanting problems on holiday, which is why Airbnb is good. Read a hundred reviews, look at the decor, location etc and put in the filters. Must admit I’ve never gone low budget, so don’t know what is at that end of the market, but I’ve had some magical places at around 6-8KNT$ per night.

4 Likes

dang. a bunch of broke-ass haters. Not you @Celeborn
I use AirBnB a lot in many different countries. Worst experience was in Fukuoka that was nasty and once in Chiayi involving a mouse, but she was gracious and gave me a quick refund. Aside from those two I greatly prefer the privacy and homey feel that isn’t found in a hotel. I do agree that the platform is predatory, some details are lost in translation, sometimes hidden add-on fees that you have to hunt for… overall the homeowners are friendly, keep a clean space and are helpful if there is a problem.
Doing folks’ taxes, I get to see the homeowners end of the AirBnB income. Lots here in Austin have vacation rentals or rent out their home come SXSW time. AirBnB doesn’t remit the cleaning fee to the homeowner, but keeps it. I’m sure not all contracts are created equal and having add-on fees reduces what gets taken out of the rent check. It is expensive and it drives up the price, but I don’t like the alternative. I’m grateful to have the service.
Anyone use VRBO? It looks like the same platform, but is owned by HomeAway.

2 Likes

“…and once in Chiayi involving a mouse, but she was gracious and gave me a quick refund

She sounds like a reasonable mouse!

6 Likes

I’ve had mostly great experiences on AirBnb (never used it in Taiwan) but to @bdog 's point, when things do go wrong – and on vacation in a foreign country is high on my list of less than ideal times for that to happen – you’d be surprised how poor their customer service is.

Once in Venice, I got off the train and no host in sight. Had to buy a SIM to call the host who answered once, then hung up and did not answer again. Called AirBnb, waited for three hours, got offered alternatives in other cities and finally booked on my own. I think they gave me a 10$ credit or something stupid. The host merely got a “cancelled reservation within seven days of booking” on their file. Was more like seven minutes, leaving us roasting in Venetian sun and contemplating 500 USD/night hotel rooms in high season.

I would not chance that with kids in tow.

But, when it has worked out, which is almost always, it can be great. Read reviews!

2 Likes

Read that article. Good post!

Use it a lot for big houses on the east coast in Taiwan or other places like ski resorts or condos in the US… never had a problem, but wouldn’t choose it in any big city that has good hotels.

Aww, I wrote basically the same post and then noticed you beat me to it.

1 Like

I’ve used AirBnb for years and the experiences have ranged from good to outstanding. In some places like HK, it is great value for money (a complete apartment for the price of a hotel room). In Taiwan, it is not always price competitive when hotels also provide breakfast but it is a good alternative when you find the midrange hotels all booked up or need a larger space. The locations can be very unique (in a good way) and much more convenient than a hotel.
Agree with the posters here that you really have to spend time doing your online research.

I use Airbnb all the time. I’ve used it in the US, Switzerland, Germany, Austria and Taiwan. They are a great value compared to hotels in Taipei as you can get an entire apartment new for like $70-$80/night. I don’t see good hotels in Taipei being that cheap.

The big advantage for me though since I’m usually traveling on business is laundry. I’ve typically travel for 2 weeks at a time and do not like to check bags when I have hop all around Asia. And hotels will charge to by the piece for laundry.

The only thing that is odd is that Airbnb is still technically illegal in Taiwan so at times I’ve had to tell the security guard that I’m a friend of the landlord which is awkward.

1 Like

*Dear Pokemon-House Rentee: (in the off chance you’re a member here) *

Thanks for not telling your guests about your super POS air-conditioner unit that would leak copiously and fill up a bucket every 3 hours so that your guests can’t get a good night’s sleep because they have to wake up at 3 in the morning to throw out the bucket of water that would otherwise flood the floor.

Yeah…that was 2 summers ago and I’m still salty about it. I don’t do AirBnB anymore. Hotels all the way.

I’ve used Airbnb a number of times both in the US and in Europe, and I’ve never had a problem with it. I typically look for whole-place rentals that look like they’re run by someone who’s doing it at least semi-professionally.
Even my sketchiest experience wasn’t that bad – me and some buddies booked like three bunk beds in a house deep in Brooklyn Chinatown. The listing disappeared a week before we were due to stay, but we showed up and somehow we were given keys and a clean place to sleep for the night… yeah after that I stuck to my “semi-professional” rule…

But wouldn’t a place that did not match the photos get bad reviews? And couldn’t the renter complain to airbnb and get their money back? My family has had good experiences with airbnb in the U.S. The one problem we ran into led to a partial refund from airbnb. I ask because we have been planing to stay in an airbnb in Taipei when we are allowed in. The prices do seem remarkably low, which is appealing.

Had my worst Airbnb experience ever in Taipei. The photos were Photoshopped, which became apparent if you looked closely enough. The studio apartment I rented was really a room in a large multi-level building. There was a large mattress on the ground floor, and they even had a “closet” that had been turned into a sleeping area too. I’m pretty sure that if I had arrived at a different hour, I would have had to step over people, cockroaches and even perhaps rats to get to the stairway that led to the room.

I noped out immediately. I got a refund because the host agreed to it after creepily begging to meet and make it up to me, but Airbnb’s response was appalling. The listing was still active months after.

I haven’t used Airbnb since. You cannot trust the reviews.

1 Like

The experience you described is certainly bad. Misrepresentation of a room as a studio apartment. Seems likely to be infested with cockroaches and rats. Thanks for the link to the article.
Airbnb left it up even after you complained. Did you try Airbnb in other countries? What kind of experiences did you have in other countries? I am wondering if Airbnb is worse in Taiwan. What website to you use to find places to stay now?

I’ve been staying in AirBnBs in Taipei for the past 5-6 years, usually 2-3 times a year, and I’ve never had a problem. I’ve stayed in different ones, though if it’s available I usually go back to the same one because it’s in a location I like.

I usually rent longer-term (several weeks), though – that may make a difference.

I’ve used it in the US as well and also never had an issue (so far). Obviously not much traveling going on this year though.

The alternative is to just front up in a night market and find the person who knows what’s for rent in the area and talk the landlord into a short-term rental. Used to do that before Air BnB came on the scene. Ms. Tsai, the key lady in the Shita Night Market, never failed.

2 Likes

I had used Airbnb in the US and Europe previously. That was my first true nightmare experience, but overall, in hindsight, in cities (as opposed to rural areas), Airbnbs were always inferior to hotels in terms of quality and cleanliness.

I’m residing in Taiwan now, so I rent long term/“for real”. When I travel, I won’t use anything but legit hotels and serviced apartments.

My worst experiences at Airbnb are staying at places where the landlord runs the place like a business, typically I never even see the landlord and they’re probably not in the country. I had a few times where I booked Airbnb for 50-100 a night and the first night they put me in alternate accomodations which is of lower quality. Airbnb tends to side with the host rather than the visitor in most cases. I try convert to a long term lease with the host if I like the place.

No pictures of cat-shaped cushions to base your decision on I bet, in which case it’s all on you. What are you even doing?!

:wink:

Thank you everyone. My relative recently rented an airbnb house for a long-term rental in the U.S., and has been very pleased with it. If you want the space available in a large house, hotels would not offer many choices.

We were staying in airbnbs for a while in Taiwan but now you can find lots of cheaper hotels here with car parking and breakfast for family so I don’t bother with them .