Why I'll Probably Die in Taiwan

i’m off to B&Q, thanks H&K for the heads up. Bury my hat at Wounded Knee.

F, the GET A LIFE was more of a “Carpe Diem.” I meant then, that instead of dwelling on death, you should sieze the day.

A little while ago, a friend of a friend made the most acute observation of me: she said, you do not strike me as a person who reads fine print.

She was exactly right; I find there is no joy in the bits and pieces but only in the essence. So any talk of death, retirement funds, life insurance–not just the talk, the hedging itself–takes away from life as the planning and preparation to die takes from life, and a life undertaken in any measure but to the brim is wasted, don’t you think?

Heads up Formosa, Carrefour has some leftover “Ghost Month Friendly Funeral Packages.” Comes with fiberglass tombstone, twelve mourners (guaranteed to wail for at least two hours) and a pile of incense. Buy two, get one free.

Durins & Tigerman. Many thanks for the info.

Alleycat:

Thus far I’ve pretty well lived me life as you outlined yours. Unfortunately I have a lad to think of these days. Does weird things to your head.

Toesave wrote:

[quote]As I am totally alone here and you fellow forumosans are the closest thing I have to a family, I hereby bequeath all my possessions to all of you to sell, so you can have me cremated in one of those funereal pyres on Koh Tao or Koh Racha Yai in Thailand…I want you all blasted on Mekong and Opium (I know, a juxtaposed mix to be sure) and I want you all to read out all posts involving Toe Save and the one StewPendous one under a blood moon…and then party your asses off…

Tigerman…you bring the beer…[/quote]

Um, not that I want to see you shuffle off quite yet but I’m so there for your final gig. Lets settle on Koh Tao if you wouldn’t mind. I’ll provide the black putty.

HG

[quote=“tigerman”]
Make certain that you have in addition to your living trust a “pour over” will. A pour over will takes all of your possessions and assets that have not over your lifetime been put into your trust into your living trust… that is, the pour over will distributes all your other stuff to your living trust.[/quote]

Oops forgot to mention that. A “pour over” will is needed when you have a trust. It acts like a safety net and catches everything that you missed putting into the trust.

Especially if you have young kids that need to be taken care of.

[quote=“Alleycat”]

She was exactly right; I find there is no joy in the bits and pieces but only in the essence. So any talk of death, retirement funds, life insurance–not just the talk, the hedging itself–takes away from life as the planning and preparation to die takes from life, and a life undertaken in any measure but to the brim is wasted, don’t you think?[/quote]

I don’t believe that my setting up things so that my children are taken care of in case of my death has taken anything from my life. On the contrary, it has given me peace of mind.

I’m sure there is some fancy French word that describes how you think, but the reality is that being prepared is the way to go.

Cat’s tend to land on the feet :slight_smile: as I have done.

I can’t start planning now; I just might muck up the order of the universe.