Why is everyone so scared of China?

Wow. It’s a long read, but the level of scrutiny of the population is Tom Cruise futuristic.

1 Like

That’s why

“China aims to dominate the biggest technologies in our lives”

It’s probably about time the rest of the world starts building a ‘Great Wall’ around China.

The release follows the detention of four Japanese nationals on suspicion of violating Chinese law regarding the protection of military facilities, though Japanese Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshito Sengoku has denied a link between the two matters.

That’s one reason. China will grab your citizens on unrelated matters and hold them hostage.

Total trade, China-Japan $297 billion- status #1. That’s another.

Military budget: China $180 billion (announced; it’s probably much higher) Japan $50 billion.
That’s a third.

Me scared of pooh bear?!?!?
He’s sweet, soft, cute and cuddly!

More hypocrisy as usual from the usual suspects. “We’re concerned about forced labor” - sure. Only as long as someone points it out and hurts your bottom line. Anyways they don’t have the guts to move out of China. Neither do their governments have the guts to do anything about it other than big talk.

Yeah, they should bitch about it on the Internet- that’ll show 'em.

‘The Magical Kingdom’ is run by the CCP.

https://www.cbr.com/disney-removes-simpsons-episode-hong-kong-tiananmen-square/

1 Like

You know there would need to be some serious military buildup that everyone would see (would make Ukraine look small in fact) in order to invade Taiwan… They’d need boats to get all the tanks and stuff here for one.

2 Likes

Yeah, we would know months ahead and there are only a few months where it’s suitable to invade. One of the only things to ever stop the mongols was a storm when Kublai Khan tried to invade Japan.

1 Like

I’m not scared or anything, but it is something Tsai is ordering out of an abundance of caution.

If we were connected to them like Ukraine is to Russia (or like a giant Hong Kong) we would’ve been screwed a long time ago.

3 Likes

I do wonder when countries are going to start seeing that country for what it is and what it’s done. They (accidentally?) released a virus that effectively put the world on hold for two years, they’re probably viewing the Ukraine situation with an eye toward Taiwan, and they did a really shitty job of hosting the Olympics. When are other countries going to start disengaging with them in a meaningful way?

I’ve been reading a book, “IBM and the Holocaust,” which describes the Reich’s reliance on IBM machinery up to and during WWII. It also describes the enormous profits IBM reaped as a result of doing business under the American government’s radar. If you replaced “Nazi Germany” with “China,” and “IBM” with “most multinationals,” it really wouldn’t read that differently in 2022. The system of punch cards (i.e. the application of census data) used by the Nazis, based on their pseudoscientific race theory, is also very similar in some ways to China’s social credit system.

2 Likes

A lot of countries look at China and think, “I wish we could run our country like that.”

Maybe in public, except for Trudeau (whom openly glorifies China) most leaders pretend to condemn China, yet secretly adore their systems and ideology.

3 Likes

People don’t realize this takes years. Russia has been in Ukraine for awhile too. Can’t say the same about China being in Taiwan.

I seriously can’t with people thinking it will happen instantly. Plus how is Taiwan different than China culturally? It’s not.

I disagree with the last part, there are significant differences culturally between china and Taiwan

3 Likes

It is though. Culturally Taiwan is as much like Thailand as it is like China. I wonder how many places outside the US you have lived, and in particular how many years you have spent in China…

2 Likes

And I’m reminded of why I stopped coming on here :joy:

Why is that?

It takes much, much more to defend a border in Europe because it’s only separated by a river or maybe some mountain, which isn’t hard to cross. The only significant mountain barrier in Europe is the Ural Mountains but that’s deep in Russia. So NATO will need to devote a huge amount of land asset to guard it, and the only real safe country would be the Alps countries.

Taiwan on the other hand is separated by a large body of water which is in poor condition most of the year, so significant naval asset is needed to cross it and project the force. So far only the US has that kind of resource.

2 Likes