Why Is Green Tea Not Green in Taiwan?

Why is green tea in Taiwan not green when it’s ready to drink? When I order green tea, it’s turns out red or brown. When I specify Japanese green tea at places that have Japanese green tea, it’s green or at least light yellowish.

Green tea in Taiwan = red or brown

Green tea in Japan = green

I asked more than one Taiwan friend. They say they don’t know why but it’s Taiwan green tea.

Red or brown? Most green teas I’ve had here is light yellowish with a tint of green.

The red or brown color of tea comes from the fermentation process, and green tea is supposed to be not fermented at all.

If they are to be really green, and opaque, it’s either that they put tea leaf powder in the tea (mocha) or they used coloring.

2 Likes

Because Oolong is a green tea, partly fermented. Probably the green tea you got was partly fermented.
Macha (green tea powder) is powdered tea leaf. Or in adulterated macha some other green powdered substance mixed with tea powder.

1 Like

Personally, I never got the whole “green tea” thing. Why would anybody want to drink something that tastes like lawn clippings?

Green tea can be as good as a good Belgian beer or mature wine.

This tastes like lawn clippings

wheat sprouts

1 Like

Fake news!

1 Like

It’s not New(s), it’s a fact. And not an alternative fact.

There’s no accounting for taste, I guess. Lucky for you, lots of people prefer Belgian beer.

my cats go crazy for that stuff.

They have access to wheat grass? Is @hansioux a closet hippie?

grazing cat

Everything I try to grow dies, so I don’t normally like to keep plants in the house, but my cats kill the wheat grass within a week anyway, so I’m fine growing them. At least the grass didn’t die from my incompetence…

1 Like

Just as long as the humans aren’t eating it. That stuff is nasty. :sunglasses:

(you should put that photo in Cat of the Day)

Fixed that for you! :wink: