Why is it so difficult to find friends in Taipei? What am I doing wrong?

Yes! I am actually half filipina/japanese, and it is really difficult to make friends at school. I had a european classmate before, and i can tell they like her, and they are very friendly with her, there is deffinetly a discrmination! Like hello i am waigouren too! Haha

2 Likes

foreigners who are Asian definitely donā€™t get the same treatment on the roc

Especially if you look Taiwanese
Do you? Being part Japanese and philippino.

Then you would kind of blend into the background

Which can be an advantage as then you are free to find friends who donā€™t like you simply because you are foreign

1 Like

Some say i donā€™t look like filipinaā€¦ Haha
And in my situation it is still very difficult for me to find friends here because i can only speak a little bit of mandarin, but i am pretty confident that i dont have a hard filipino accent when i try to speak mandarin! Lol but when tell them i am from philppines, i can feel that they are not intrested, it sucks

my suggestion is to try to make friends with foreigner straight women. I totally get you being discriminated against for being SEA. Try to be friendly to the foreigner straight women and work for it. I know we arent used to working for platonic friends but this is what u gotta do when ur in a new country

1 Like

People in Taipei are just not that friendly. No one really says hi or chats. They mostly avoid prolonged eye contact or even small comments.

I love visiting Taichung especially, where it seems everyone has a smile and something nice to say everywhere.

1 Like

Yes, Taipei locals - I think some are friendly and helpful (small percentage) probably too busy and you know everyone are in rush for work, meetings and so on.

There are many Pinoys around in Taipai, why not hang with them?

Or if you can speak Japanese, pretend to be a Japanese and suddenly you will have a lot of potential friends.

I know! But most of them are older than me, they dont get a long day offs from their work, and they are more into doing shoppings, karaoke, eating which is not my thing. :joy: And no i cant speak japanese! Haha cuz i was born and raised in the philppines! lol

1 Like

I meant there were many young Taiwanese of around you age who were interested in Japanese girls but if you couldnā€™t speak Japanese, then might not work for you.

IMO, the best way to make friends in the university is to start activities, making a student group of any kind.

Good luck to you:slight_smile:

I think most taiwanese can say that they also enjoy karaoke, shopping and eating so I think you might have to find like a niche group then

2 Likes

hi~i can be your friend even i live taoyuan,i can also teach you chinese if you want to learn. i am glad you like taiwan .:slight_smile:

:slight_smile: sure!

I have never made friends like this.

I really like Taiwanese people, they are very nice and friendly, much more than in my country, but this is definitely the shallow side of them. Well nobody is perfect anyway! Good luck to you.

1 Like

Very good advice IMO.

Come to DV8 pub on Fuxing South Road! Itā€™s the friendliest pub in central Taipei, and youā€™ll meet a wide variety of people. Itā€™s not a language exchange haunt or meat market. Itā€™s an old school talking pub!

1 Like

Hello~~
(I raised my handā€¦)
Iā€™m a Taiwanese girl, also a Chinese teacher(for freeā€¦), now I live in Taipei:grinning:
Please feel free to contact me^^

Hi,
Iā€™m sorry for being late by 3 months : )
You live in Taipei too? And near by what MRT station?

Hi, I could use a friend.

Friends are hard to find and I donā€™t have many in Taiwan so Iā€™m not giving any away. First introduced to a friend and then your friend stops calling you and then youā€™re alone again and ohhhhh

Good luck. Oh and early Merry Christmas.

5 Likes