Why is it so easy to "Hurt the feelings of the Chinese people"?

5 Likes

Citation needed

2 Likes

I have just skim read the article and it comes across as Americans are more prone to mood swings, people of Chinese ancestry have more mixed emotions and work to keep them balanced. To me that says they are stronger emotionally, as they have better control of their feelings.

but i did only skim the paper.

Here’s one for 2021.

Instead of celebrating Chinese Canadian actor Simu Liu’s newfound stardom (he was already well known in Canada for his work in the now sadly defunct CBC series Kim’s Convenience), Chinese netizens energetically trash him while authorities ban his new Marvel film.

Guy

5 Likes

It always amazes me how few people it takes to control a country. At one point ISIS nearly controlled Iraq with only around 20,000 combat troops. The Taliban did not have huge numbers either.

2 Likes

A similar example from a different period would be the British in India.

Guy

China Makes Sure Everyone Writes Taiwan’s Name Just So - Even a Colorado High School

The Wall Street Journal - 9/10/2021

Summary

What a bunch of glass hearted crybabies!

5 Likes

Chinese have learned professional victim culture from BLM.

2 Likes

They had it way before then

I have seen quite a lot of BS on this site, but this may be close to the gold medal. Congratulations! :rofl:

Guy

14 Likes

China was doing professional victim culture years before BLM was ever thought of. However, they have learned to better use the semantic overload of the organization in dealing with the US which is logical because they are smart and because it is effective.

Any criticism of Hong Kong or Xinjiang or remembrance of Tiananmen is met with responses of “George Floyd”, “black people are not safe in America”, or, more commonly, the accusation that such criticism is simply “Asian hate”.

The entire #stopasianhate movement grew out of #westandbywuhan rallies early in the pandemic that were attended by the US Speaker of the House though the former hashtag proved to be more effective in the long run for obvious reasons.

This shouldn’t be surprising. Even the Taliban was using the same language, saying that their cabinet would be “inclusive” and it takes about thirty seconds to find criticism of the group labeled as “Islamophobia”.

10 Likes

Good post. A nuanced point you’re making—and with this I agree—is that the PRC’s propaganda machine has grabbed onto the “Stop violence against Asians” movement in the US and appropriated it to claim that any criticism of the PRC’s actions (whether genocide in Xinjiang, smashing the democracy movement in HK, questioning the handling of the COVID outbreak in Wuhan, etc etc) is recoded and spread far and wide, often through bots on social media, as “attacking Asians.”

The other point is the classic whataboutism move. “Hey Black people are getting killed and harassed in the US! Therefore do not speak about the PRC!” Or something like that.

Guy

11 Likes

Wow. He criticized the police in wechat and is arrested

The Land of Snowflaked is at it again

2 Likes

Time to buy the game then.

1 Like

I’ll wait and see if they cuck out and remove it.

1 Like

It’s a power play from the government.

One thing to remember with a lot of the diplomat stuff is that usually the audience is internal rather than the outside world.

The loud wolf warrior style barking may undermine their foreign relations though. The knife can cut in different directions, and apparently Xi is aware of this and has reportedly asked officials to tone this down.

Guy

Because Chinese people are trash.