Why is it so hard to leave Taiwan?

Yeah, a flat.

https://www.sfgate.com/news/us/article/Evacuations-ordered-as-wildfire-spreads-in-rural-13374716.php

We don’t have tornados and don’t have much hurricane worries but we have these fires every year

This is very true.
People repeat the fallacy that Taiwan is cheap but it really isn’t. Yes cheap night market food is available but anything good isn’t, owing a car is for the rich, hotels are super expensive if you want to take a vacation and items in the mall are expensive as well as electronics. Rent is expensive in Taipei compared to salaries.

I find the only people that seem to be really enjoying life here are the upper 1% factory and SME owners that can afford all the luxuries. The salary man not so much.

London I don’t know about.
But Toronto and Vancouver in Canada is much worse. Garbage average salaries and massively overpriced housing market. Eating out every day will bankrupt you. Labour costs are outrageous.

1 Like

Running a car is cheap as chips in Taiwan.

2 Likes

The car and the gas is cheap yes.
The parking fees will slaughter your budget though. Unless you live in the countryside.

1 Like

50NT an hour in Taipei?

EDIT: sorry, I guess you mean a permanent car parking space. It’s about 3k a month, isn’t it?

Low humidity makes us old fast

1 Like

Taipei east area you can’t find anything less than 6k

1 Like

I actually prefer it to the bay (except for living in SF itself). Most people here seem to be from the bay anyway, since rents are so high.

For me, the East Bay has the best weather in the world. Sacramento gets way too hot in the summer. And I’d never want to live in SF, and don’t even go there at all unless there’s a very compelling reason. A once great city has become a complete shithole.

Different strokes. I find the east bay too gloomy, rainy, and chilly. That’s where we just moved from, were in the snobby/boring/pretty/safe/yet close to everything Lamorinda area.

Hmm, that sounds like SF to me. The East Bay is much sunnier and warmer. Most of the time when it’s foggy and cold in SF, it’s warm and sunny in Berkeley and Oakland. But Lafayette is pretty boring.

And then you pay again when you take it out at external parking lots. That and then driving around trying to get a parking spot.

1 Like

But compared to most cities renting a parking lot at 6k NT is seriously cheap.

From my experience parking fees in Taiwan compared to Western European cities are on average much cheaper. You can park in the center of Taipei for a dollar an hour whereas that would be unheard of in any capital city I know. In the center of Dublin folks could pay up to 110 nt/hr. Max I’ve seen in Taipei is 60 nt/hr. You can usually find parking for 30 to 40ntd an hour at schools and municipal lots and also under try overpasses.
Parking fees for apartment living are annoying but still less than 2000 ntd a month, can negotiate as part of the rent.
Also they have congestion charges in some cities such as London just to enter the city.

I work in central Taipei, I can find parking near my office under the expressway for 30nt/hr. I think max is 300 a day. That’s really pretty good ! In many cities you wouldn’t even be able to find a parking space I would bet. On the weekends I can always find parking in Taipei city hall car park which is gargantuan.
Interestingly parking in Hsinchu and Taichung could be a lot more difficult especially at weekends.

6k is very cheap compared to most metropolitan areas, but then again, the salary is also ‘cheap’ here

1 Like

35? You can’t live on that

In London you need 4K/month minimum, and even then it sucks

1 Like

So, obviously you don’t drive in Taipei city, that doesn’t make any sense. If you need to travel by car use Uber or a taxi

Car is for longer weekend trips, and in those cases parking won’t be an issue as you are always driving out of the city.