Why is Jeremy Lin allowed to spread his poison?

Looks like he’s gone Linsane.

How Tall is Lin, in cubits?

I say shephard those sheep, by any means necessary.
Keeps them far away from me, those dim-witted peons with latex hearts.

I am confused with the word “allowed”. Do Taiwanese have no freedom of assembly? No right to free speech or freedom to practice their religion?

Not all Christian are anti gay and anti abortion. I was actively involved with two churches that voted in the declaration of gays, lesbians, bisexals and transgender are welcome in those churches. I marched in DC for pro choice marches. I lived in different states in US, all the churches I went to do not spout hate messages.

This is not to say there are many Christian that cherry picked bible verses to stone people with it. However, I have not read any of Jesus’ teachings that tell them to do so. Therefore, it is questionable that those people spewing hate messages are really Chastain. Jesus said love thy neighbor, he did not say kick your neighbor’s ass so you can feel superior. In fact he has a name for those people.

I won’t worry about the converts from those events, unless there were follow up activities with substance, the seeds will not take root.

Everyone has their own spiritual needs and spiritual level. To me it is waste of time and energy to worry about other’s spiritual path. For those who use God to enriched their own pocket, that is between them and God.

I am confused with the word “allowed”. Do Taiwanese have no freedom of assembly? No right to free speech or freedom to practice their religion?

Not all Christian are anti gay and anti abortion. I was actively involved with two churches that voted in the declaration of gays, lesbians, bisexals and transgender are welcome in those churches. I marched in DC for pro choice marches. I lived in different states in US, all the churches I went to do not spout hate messages.

This is not to say there are many Christian that cherry picked bible verses to stone people with it. However, I have not read any of Jesus’ teachings that tell them to do so. Therefore, it is questionable that those people spewing hate messages are really Chastain. Jesus said love thy neighbor, he did not say kick your neighbor’s ass so you can feel superior. In fact he has a name for those people.

I won’t worry about the converts from those events, unless there were follow up activities with substance, the seeds will not take root.

Everyone has their own spiritual needs and spiritual level. To me it is waste of time and energy to worry about other’s spiritual path. For those who use God to enriched their own pocket, that is between them and God.[/quote]
This whole post, most especially that last para, holds much resonance.
:notworthy:

If you thought that you discovered the elixir for all of humankind’s ills, would you not be OBLIGATED to tell as many people as possible? This man (irrespective of his physical or spiritual aptitudes), is only doing what his belief commands. Those who choose to follow his words based on his 3-point shot will undoubtedly fall away (seeds planted among thorns, on stoney ground), while those who follow through wholeheartedly with the Christian faith may experience positive rewards. Who are YOU to judge?

If the DriedMangoism brand of atheism or anti-Christianism is to take root, I would suggest that you either polish your basketball skills or improve your (evidently entirely lacking) logic in order to convince others to follow your particular style of living.

Why is this thread in Temp? Its a good discussion.

I second that.

Mods?

It looks to be in the Religion forum now.

the thread up and got religion all of a sudden…

Ask and ye shall receive!

[quote=“niaoahgin”][quote=“DriedMango”]This doesn’t sit well with me. Can you recall the last time a foreign star - athlete, movie star, whatever -

If you thought that you discovered the elixir for all of humankind’s ills, would you not be OBLIGATED to tell as many people as possible? This man (irrespective of his physical or spiritual aptitudes), is only doing what his belief commands. Those who choose to follow his words based on his 3-point shot will undoubtedly fall away (seeds planted among thorns, on stoney ground), while those who follow through wholeheartedly with the Christian faith may experience positive rewards. Who are YOU to judge?

If the DriedMangoism brand of atheism or anti-Christianism is to take root, I would suggest that you either polish your basketball skills or improve your (evidently entirely lacking) logic in order to convince others to follow your particular style of living.[/quote][/quote]

I dont see a problem with participateing at a church event.Im Buddhist if I was a famous person I would be doing the same thing.if people dont want christianity to spread to their community then they need to address the problem like we do in the united states,post websites showing how the bible is immoral,and actively talk to the christians in your community about the harm the bible causes(lev 20:13,lev 24:16,ex 21:7,ex 21:20-21,duet 13:6-18,1 sam 15:1-3,numb 15:32-36,numb31:17-19)

Infomation and education about what is actually written in the Bible is the reason why 30% of christians in america have left this religion,and started becoming Atheist or Buddhist.

[quote=“Karuna Dharmakaya”]

I don’t see a problem with participateing at a church event.Im Buddhist if I was a famous person I would be doing the same thing.[/quote]

Absolutely correct.

Freedom of speech is at the heart of a democratic republic. It is disturbing to hear people want to shut others up because they don’t like the message.

And, that would be how you do it. Passing laws shutting down free speech is the road to tyranny.

[quote=“Karuna Dharmakaya”]how the bible is immoral,and actively talk to the christians in your community about the harm the bible causes(lev 20:13,lev 24:16,ex 21:7,ex 21:20-21,duet 13:6-18,1 sam 15:1-3,numb 15:32-36,numb31:17-19)

Infomation and education about what is actually written in the Bible is the reason why 30% of christians in America have left this religion,and started becoming Atheist or Buddhist.[/quote]

The bible is immoral? And, you quote only the Old Testament? You cannot quote anything from the quintessentially Christian part of it? No? And this is the reason why 30% of Christians are leaving Christianity?

Completely and utterly inaccurate, but feel free to say so as loudly and publicly as you wish.

Is anyone being forced to attend the events, listen to or agree with ANYTHING J. Lin is saying? Are they free to leave at any point? Can they choose to disagree and live their life as they see fit? Where is the problem?

As to the immorality of the bible (and apparently, though indirectly Christianity). Are comments directed at the supposed immorality of Judiasm, Christianity or Islam as all are based upon or strongly reference the bible to ne degree or another. I think your anger is misplaced. The immorality is in the heart, not the word. ANY text or teaching no matter the cultural origin can be twisted to serve an immoral purpose. Plenty of examples from from east and west, north and south, rich and poor, developed and not, white/black/brown/yellow and red - and every shade in between (apologies if I missed anyone). We are all in the same stew.

At least some (maybe lots of) impressionable young people who look up to him will get suckered into the same delusional belief system that seems to have befallen him. That’s the legitimate concern here.

So, which delusional belief system would you rather they get sucked into?

We have a whole world full of delusion. At least, with Christianity the kids are taught wholesome values like ‘turning the other cheek’, humility, loving your neighbor, community service, etc.

Of course, maybe Christianity isn’t delusional after all. :ponder:

The Bible is immoral, and causes harm?
Are you out of your skull?
You sound like a goddamn Nazi, should we start burning even more books?
The Bible is a piece of literature, and as such cannot be immoral or cause harm.
People are immoral and cause harm. Perhaps it might be argued that some folks got even more evil after reading a certain book, but I’d have to say they were zealots to begin with.
Next you will be telling us that Buddhists never made war or caused other harm.
Cognitive dissonance is universal upon the element of religion when put into practice by mostly men.
Get over it.

Who cares if Jeremy Lin goes around proselytizing a bit. A few weeks or months down the road, the Taiwanese will forget about him and go back to complaining about housing prices, blaming the president for natural disasters, expressing outrage at Koreans, or whatever else strikes their fancy at the moment.

The Bible is immoral, and causes harm?
Are you out of your skull?
You sound like a goddamn Nazi, should we start burning even more books?
The Bible is a piece of literature, and as such cannot be immoral or cause harm.
People are immoral and cause harm. Perhaps it might be argued that some folks got even more evil after reading a certain book, but I’d have to say they were zealots to begin with.
Next you will be telling us that Buddhists never made war or caused other harm.
Cognitive dissonance is universal upon the element of religion when put into practice by mostly men.
Get over it.[/quote]

That’s somewhat disingenuous.

There is no doubt that the Bible, OT and NT, are internally inconsistent in advocating both love and the sword. That cannot be denied or ignored. Karuna has named some of the more violent ones, and someone could certainly name things from the Sermon Mount and so on.

There is no doubt that the Book has been quoted to do great harm to other human beings. Certainly you could say, the people who used the Book in such ways were initially immoral, but that in no way resolves the primary issue of why the Book does contain exhortations and examples of extreme prejudice and violence.

Anyone who reads the entire OT and NT has to, at some point, find himself in some moral dilemma, and has to use his own moral judgment in deciding which parts to believe and which parts to ignore. Perhaps this is one reason (aside from Control) that priests never wanted laypersons to be able to read the Book.

Rarely has Buddhists proselytised by the sword. Certainly, some Buddhists kings, but not a Buddhist clergy. and those were very early on. You cannot ignore the fact that People of the Book (Monothiests) are singularly unique in this fashion.

Your own angry response is in itself telling.