Why is Persecution of Christians Acceptable?

[quote=“Mother Theresa”] When did you grow a heart? And have you forgotten about the Crusades, the Inquisitions, the Holocaust, etc.? Don’t those count as persecution by Christians or were they justifiable due to some neocon logic that normal people cannot understand? [quote]

It was all justified at the time… proven to be incorrect later on…

So Maoman:

I suppose we can sign you up to the old “the slaves should be grateful or they would still be living in Africa argument.” Or better yet, rape is good because without it the nuns would never have known the pleasures of good sex. No, then what about those millions of Chinese who died were just standing in the way of economic and political progress as were the Jews in Europe during WWII. Gosh! I just cannot stop laughing about it.

What a hoot. Perhaps, we should lynch a few more Blacks in the South because the result was the sorrowful sadness that spawned Southern Blues and Jazz? More crime against the elderly to kill them off and save the nation billions in care costs?

Again, I find it incredible that persecution of 300 million people is either something that is “deserved” or the cause of such “mirth” and “flippancy.”

AND I still want to know if MT supports collective guilt and historical guilt. Dying to find out.

Hey, maybe someone could post some good jokes of Christians getting raped, killled, enslaved etc. so that we can let the good times roll. Whoo boy. I hope so, I have just been having so so so much fun today.

Fred, I was just answering your question. You asked why some might strike out against Christians. I replied what goes around. . . I didn’t say I advocate retaliation, and I don’t (as usual, you distorted my words when you claimed that I do). I was just answering your question.

Maybe I should have replied that after 2,000 years of abuse and persecution, non-Christians are finally being converted, they are finally starting to understand what the Good Book is all about. After all, doesnt it state something in the Old Testament about an eye for an eye. :wink:

And, while I don’t understand your question without further fleshing out, I don’t think I believe in collective guilt or historical guilt, but you’d need to be more specific. Sorry to disappoint you.

Is it okay to make fun of Mormons?

Do you believe in collective guilt? It is a simple question? Should Christians in other lands suffer for the actions of Christians in say America?

Do you believe in historical guilt? Do you believe that Christians today should suffer for the actions of their ancestors?

In that case, perhaps the Muslims were getting what they deserved when the Crusades took place? I mean who started this rumble anyway? Christians invading Arabia?

Finally, the Good Book. Have you ever read it? Do you know what an eye for an eye means? Do you know what Jewish law interpreted this to mean and how such injustices were punished? And if specific Christians commit sins does that nullify the religion and the Good Book? Would you be willing to put the same test to oh say Islam, which as well know (repeat after me…) is a RELIGION OF PEACE?

Careful now. You are a lawyer. I will warn you that I am very hopeful of pursuing this conversation with you further and it’s not because I want it to make you look good. Fair warning.

What about all us non believers? Why are we forced to hear all the stuff about religon. Thankfully i do not live in Jesusland (USA) or i would be upset that my money talks about god. How my president or future presidents religous views are important. How God Bless America is heard all the time in speaches. Any time someone wins an award or competiton they thank god. What about the persecution of all us non-believers, having to put up with all this. Those fanatics complaining about halloween being pagan, easter being pagan, etc. And the party poopers who go to mardi gras to hold up their big signs condemming us for sinning. Maybe we should start a campaign to retaiate against the bible thumpers and force our views on them, and condemn them when they dont. Or people can just suck it up and mind their own business and stop trying to change everyone.

Troy:

You obviously do not have a very good understanding of what is involved Constitutionally in separation of church and state. That does not mean that there is no church anymore and that political figures cannot have religious views and beliefs.

We are talking persecution on a massive scale here. We are talking about 300 million people. This is not about first amendment rights to hold up signs and such.

Also, I challenge you to find a court or company in the US that will not immediately crack down on any jokes etc. regarding Blacks, gays, women, ethnic groups, etc. I think there is less perceived need to do so for “rednecks” and Christians. Why not?

I believe that our present system of government is based on Judaeo-Christian ethics and as such, we should value those ethics. They are the ones after all that allowed for equality of races, women, and fair treatment and protection of gays and minorities etc etc. Point to similar kinds of programs in other cultures and then we will talk.

But really what is it about Christianity that bothers you? You have obviously chosen multiculturalism as your religion. In fact, has not multiculturalism become the new religion of the US? And why should that be any better than Christianity? Why does it automatically get sanctioned?

Question by someone who’s trying to make everyone else feel guilty.

Richardm:

Aren’t you wanted in the Open Forum? I think that someone requested your participation in a thread about whether your favorite color represented your choice of political party or was it religion? Be sure and let us know when you get back…

Okay, I got to go. But I just wonder. Bush has been in office more than four years. When will everything not be blamed on the left. America has allowed the persecution of 300 million Christians and it’s still Clinton’s fault?

Who’s blaming Clinton? I am asking why it is okay to persecute Christians? Did I say anything about anyone on the left? No. What happened was that I pointed this out and we had the usual lefties who are so quick to run to the defense of oppressed peoples everywhere in Western countries, either dismissing this out of hand or smirking about what goes around comes around. That is when it became a matter of personal inconsistency in their beliefs. I did not blame the left. I am asking why 300 million people get persecuted and no one takes their side in the UN, in the US Congress, in the EU Parliament. Why is it unacceptable to stand up for Christians?

It’s acceptable? To who? Certainly not Americans.

First they prohibited teachers from leading prayer sessions
and I didn’t speak out because bible clubs are still permitted on-campus.
Then they let our teachers discuss the theory of evolution
and I didn’t speak out because creationism gets equal time.
Then they removed the 10 Commandments from a public courthouse
and I didn’t speak out because there are still plenty of bible-thumpers in Congress.
Then they yanked the tube out of Terri Schiavo’s throat after judicial due process including 19 appeals
and I realized, MY GOD, the world is out to get us. Why do they keep picking on us? Why? Why? Why?

Btw, Fred, if you repeat your statement about the persecution of 300 million Christians enough times it will not become true, just as the repeated claims of WMDs in Iraq didn’t make that come true. Your number is absurdly exaggerated. Proof proof!!!

Moreover, as Richard pointed out, no one has stated approval of persecution and, in fact, I think we all agree that persecution is a bad thing, whether it’s done by Christians or others.

Look back at the responses of the posters so far Richardm and perhaps reconsider your view.

How can I help? What can I do to alleviate the suffering of my fellow Christians? Should I wack Mother Theresa?

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]The answer is obvious Fred, they keep turning their damned cheeks and waiting for the next swipe. It’s fun, pure and simple.
[/quote]

And besides, lions need to eat too.

Compare MT’s reactions of outrage to the hate speech that was leveled against Germans, French, the UN, etc. on this forum and draw your own conclusions.

Text in violation of Rule against personal attacks deleted by moderator It is in the very first article provided with the link. Read the thread. It has been there all along.

Oh so the persecution cannot be criticized because everyone is equally guilty. That is NOT the case. Read the article. If you have something intelligent to say about it then please respond. If you are just going to try to be “even-handed” in your multi culti way, I will just go back and reread the Che Guevara thread again. I think we all know where your moral “interests” lie.

I didn’t read the article because I didn’t want to sign up for the Spectator. 300 million is a nice round number and I have no reason to doubt that it is probably accurate. It’s a big world.
If Christians are being persecuted in Botswana, what do we do about it? Just complain about a lack of concern and reverence on this board?

Idiot. It is in the very first article provided with the link. Read the thread. It has been there all along.[/quote]

Don’t call me an idiot. When I tried your link it didn’t work. But even if the link worked I refuse to believe your figure: more Christians than the entire population of the US are “persecuted.” No way, unless you call cancellation of school prayer sessions persecution. [Note: Text in violation of the Rules deleted: Calling another poster a “liar” is prohibited. It is also prohibited to try to circumvent this Rule]

Oh so the persecution cannot be criticized because everyone is equally guilty. That is NOT the case. Read the article. If you have something intelligent to say about it then please respond. If you are just going to try to be “even-handed” in your multi culti way, I will just go back and reread the Che Guevara thread again. I think we all know where your moral “interests” lie.[/quote]

I have no idea what you are going on about with your multi-culturism Che Guevara references. I said before and I’ll say it again: If people are being persecuted I think we all agree that’s a bad thing. Is there something wrong with that statement?

[Text in violation of the Rules deleted by moderator: Please do not make personal attacks against other posters. The Rules prohibit persoanal attacks and insults]

Works for me. See answer 1.

It’s not my figure. It is the Spectator’s. This is a reputable news organization in the U.K.

There are more than 1 billion Christians worldwide, many of them in say Egypt where they make up 20 percent of a population of 80 million and there are another 70 million in China.

What is the Spectator’s figure not acceptable to you?

We are talking murder, forcible conversion, unfair taxation based on religion, etc.

You can call me a liar all you want but when the proof was, is, and has been sitting right there in black and white from the first post, I guess that would make you an … see Answer 1.