Why is Taiwan often in a lower priority when it comes to iphone launches?

Anyone know the reason why Taiwan is often at a lower priority (usually third or later) when it comes to Apple product launches?

Is it due to market (which I don’t understand, lots of Apple users here) or politics (as in Beijing would throw a fit)?

[quote=“Taiwan Luthiers”]Anyone know the reason why Taiwan is often at a lower priority (usually third or later) when it comes to Apple product launches?

Is it due to market (which I don’t understand, lots of Apple users here) or politics (as in Beijing would throw a fit)?[/quote]

Well, Apple knows that no matter what junk it throws into the Taiwanese market, at whatever time, their will be hoards of locals lining up to drop a months salary on it. :bravo: :bravo: :bravo:

I don’t know what the real reason is - but it could also have to do with government regulation (meeting local communication standards) and negotiations with the local telcos. Perhaps there is more red tape for such processes in Taiwan than there is in other countries.

Normally I would have thought that it was because Taiwan was a smaller market and thus not as important to Apple, but it seems that Hong Kong and Singapore are able to make it to the front of the line, so it can’t be that.

[quote=“Adam_CLO”]I don’t know what the real reason is - but it could also have to do with government regulation (meeting local communication standards) and negotiations with the local telcos. Perhaps there is more red tape for such processes in Taiwan than there is in other countries.

Normally I would have thought that it was because Taiwan was a smaller market and thus not as important to Apple, but it seems that Hong Kong and Singapore are able to make it to the front of the line, so it can’t be that.[/quote]

Taiwanese often use that to say that the rest of the world doesn’t respect Taiwan or something. I don’t know, I do know that 4G was really slow in coming to Taiwan because of government regulations (ie it was taking real long for Telcos to get their license). I’m not sure what local interest is the government trying to protect, seeing that iPhones are made by Taiwanese companies.

Well the government has gotten in trouble in the recent past for promoting the iPhone over HTC (more of a local brand than Apple), so maybe there are lobbyists from HTC who purposely try to slow down the approval process for new Apple products.

Or Maybe HTC should try and make better products that work instead of complaining about how Apple gets better promoted…

Well, HTC did sign a cross licensing patent deal with Apple recently. So perhaps future HTC phones will be more Apple like? If you can’t beat them, join them!

Yea, that’s just really original. Instead of coming up with their own design or improving existing designs, just copy the good ones.

monkey see, monkey do. Has worked for centuries.

So, the delay in releasing the latest iPhone comes from fear of being copied/reverse engineering perhaps?

Most likely it is just slow regulations plus the fact that it is made by Taiwanese companies working against it -remember then they have to swim against the prohibitin of selling export-only goods in Taiwan.

Yeah, Apple is great it invented round corners on rectangles. It also invented highlighting text and click it. Brilliant!

Almost as brilliant as Amazon One Click!

[quote=“bigduke6”][quote=“Taiwan Luthiers”]Anyone know the reason why Taiwan is often at a lower priority (usually third or later) when it comes to Apple product launches?

Is it due to market (which I don’t understand, lots of Apple users here) or politics (as in Beijing would throw a fit)?[/quote]

Well, Apple knows that no matter what junk it throws into the Taiwanese market, at whatever time, their will be hoards of locals lining up to drop a months salary on it. :bravo: :bravo: :bravo:[/quote]

Oh, that’s how Apple fanboys/girls are all over, not just Taiwan. One creative Apple fanboy returned his Nexus 7 because he’s not a fan of the 7 inch, but when the Ipad Mini came out, he loved it. Apple is more than a brand; it’s a lifestyle!

[quote=“Icon”]So, the delay in releasing the latest iPhone comes from fear of being copied/reverse engineering perhaps?

Most likely it is just slow regulations plus the fact that it is made by Taiwanese companies working against it -remember then they have to swim against the prohibitin of selling export-only goods in Taiwan.[/quote]

It could also be the reimbursement fee, I don’t know.

The delay in Taiwan comes from the fact that Taiwan has its own standards for wireless devices, and Apple won’t submit their new tech ahead of the US release day to the Taiwanese authorities (no surprise there). So the time for release of a new Apple product featuring wireless here is (US launch date + time to acquire Taiwanese certification + admin time + shipping). No conspiracy. There is a debate to be had over whether the Taiwanese wireless certification standard is a form of protectionism, but every country is entitled to set out consumer protection standards. If you look at non-wireless products from Apple (like the iPod shuffle), the Taiwan launch dates correspond closely with other international markets.

Oh, and the reverse-engineering theory is daft. Any company here could lay their hands on a grey import the day after US release.