Why is the pay so low in language schools?

I think it’s because you’re working for an employer, whereas as a private tutor you are self employed. So when working for an employer your employer must help you get an ARC, and unless you have APRC or open work right you can’t tutor privately.

I hope that makes sense.

2 Likes

To add: tutoring under the table happens a lot

That explains something. Although the same thing is happening to Taiwanese teachers though.

If this is common in the industry than I should probably change my strategy if I want a job at a language school.

But I just got a call from a school that offers me a really good deal. So I think there’s still a chance to find a school that’s willing to pay more and cares about their quality. I guess if you try hard enough there’s still a thin chance to find a good school.

For what I know, most contracts from the companies are not entirely legal. There’s a chance you could get away with it even if you breach it.

They aren’t. There are horror stories posted on here.

Do it!

Well it depends own what the contracts exactly are though. And I suppose foreign teachers would be facing a different problem from local teachers.

Foreign teachers would likely be paid more than local teachers though. The difference is you could get stiffed because of contract issues (the bushiban stiffs/cheats on you by assuming you have no recourse).

2 Likes

Lol yeah, I wasn’t even joking. I’ve got a Palestinian mate who’s got contacts in Turkey and Northern Cyprus. His wife is from Russia. I was gonna meet up with him in Israel/Turkey to talk business and research before the pandemic.

Anyway, since the start of the Hamas-Israel conflict, his internet access has been intermittent. So, business talks have to be postponed.

1 Like

He lives in Gaza?

None of the places you mentioned are English-speaking, how’s that gonna work?

1 Like

Nah, West Bank. Otherwise, I’d be a lot more worried. But there were clashes around his area too.

I just won’t cater to schools that actually care about the quality of their teachers. As long as there are enough schools that just want a token white face, I’d have me a market.

Also: I know there are already lots of these rent-a-white-guy/gal agencies on the mainland. But I don’t want to just replicate their business model. I wanna cater to budget-conscious clients who don’t mind if their foreigners are fat, bald, old, and/or ugly.

2 Likes

You sound like a marketing genius! :grinning:

3 Likes

I don’t think there’s a possibility of being fat, bald, old and not being ugly. The “or” is redundant.

1 Like

So, like, when the pandemic ends … would Taiwanese cram schools take a bunch of unqualified Ukrainians, Iranians, Turks and Belarusians?

As long as their English is almost conversational (A2-B1), it should be ok right? And I hope they don’t have to be good looking, hygiene-oriented or neutral-smelling. They’re definitely white … Or at least white-ish.

Really hope there’s a genuine market for this.

if they are students or spouses of citizens, their English level can be not much relevant. If not, they cannot be qualified, unless they have dual citizenship. Or, is it online business?

Like, are you thinking about possible visa-related issues? These can be sorted out as long as the market demand is there. Online is one avenue, yes. But there are other ways to help schools get the most cost-effective whites for their budgets.

I look forward to seeing how this endeavor turns out. I have not even been here a year and it has already become painfully obvious that there is a definite need for a service such as this. Especially in these circumstances as of late!

How will you make money out of it? Recruiter sign on fees?

Ideally yes. But with unskilled workers with limited communication skills (in both English and the local language), I might need to be more involved as far as logistics are concerned. So it might have to be a rental / labour contracting model. This way it would also be convenient to hire a local English teacher to teach them English so that they’re at least always one step ahead of their students in class.

What sort of expenses are keeping them in the red?