Why is the pay so low in language schools?

Ahh got it. I wasn’t expecting Taiwanese :slight_smile:

1 Like

Nobody expects Taiwanese.

3 Likes

because English grammar is what they need, and they don’t need to speak, read, write English in their lives.

1 Like

to whom are you referring?

Taiwanese, if it is not clear.

4 Likes

But do they even need English grammar in their lives though? One could make the case that they don’t even need that. They only need what the government puts on the tests so they can pass the tests. “My grandpa has a circle yard” = one of the many gems from the 會考. That’s not even grammatically correct, not to mention makes no sense.

The government could also change their tests from testing grammar to tests where students write an essay or record themselves talking. Then they would “need” to be able to speak and write in English. Given Taiwanese culture, they would probably just learn how to memorize the same sample essay, but ideally people who try that would fail.

I wonder if ACTFL has a computerized version of the OPI and WPT for English. If I had any power over testing here, I would make every child, from first grade, take the OPI and WPT at the beginning of the year, midterm, and the end of the year. As the only standardized assessment. Cuz the only way to cheat on those is to be prepared to speak and write in the language in question. That’s also known as…being able to speak and write in the language in question.

1 Like

A lot of these are lip service. Government put them on tests to make the government looks like they are trying to be more international. Fact is vast majority of the people don’t care except to pass some government test.

People who are in international trade, working as air/sea crew, ambassadors or their staff, medical doctors, etc. will speak good english because they have to. Everyone else is kinda like, people in Russia speaking english. They will speak it badly and not care if they learn the wrong kind of english.

1 Like

This, I am very aware of :joy:

If I have to learn something, I’d actually learn it or not learn it at all… maybe it’s just me. I’ve cut many boring classes when I was a kid. To me, if you don’t care, then just don’t do it. I guess it makes sense for people here to learn to test but I’m having a hard time to relate…

Well fact is most people don’t want to learn English but the government puts it on tests, thereby forcing children to learn them.

1 Like

Maybe this will help.

2 Likes

It doesn’t help at all but I don’t regret watching it :joy:

I’ve always wondered, at a buxiban, how much do they get from parents roughly for an hour? I’ve imagined it must be around 1000 NTD, the teacher gets 600 and the buxiban keeps 400. Is it something like this?

I heard parents pay something like 20,000 a month to send kids there. Keep in mind a teacher isn’t exactly teaching only one child, they are teaching 8-10. So do the math.

Oh yeah, that is incredible money for a buxiban, so yes, good point. But what about those 1-on-1’s who only go for an hour or two hour-long English class? How much would the parents pay per hour?

The kids don’t pay 20000 a month at a buxiban. For English class, the kids pay about 300 an hour.

I had my gf go in a place and ask years ago and they wanted 1200 an hour to have class with a Taiwanese teacher one on one. I would guess that they charge more now.

Yeah I was shooting for somewhere in the neighborhood of 1000-1200. They are pocketing an easy 50% profit if they pay their teachers 600.

I think our friend says 20,000 perhaps for those kids who are at the buxibans every single day. One thing is those kids like that and another is the English lessons, either the group lessons or the 1-on-1.

Yes, still wouldn’t be 20000 a month. I would say 10000 a month. They get combo deals and most only get there after four o’clock.

which is why I kept on complaining about how shitty and incompetent Taiwan’s government is compared to the mainland…in another thread away