Why is there a steady wash of pro-Trump, anti-Democrats propaganda circulating on Taiwanese social media?

Which administration has used Hong Kong like a bartering piece, agreed to turn a blind eye to the plight of the Uyghurs in Xinjiang in hope for re-election assistance, and who’s leader has openly supported what happened in Tiananmen square?

The Trump administration.

Obviously this is conjectural, but there is a good chance that the US would have started standing up for itself more against China and increasing support for regional allies regardless of who was elected in 2016. Things were already escalating, and Obama’s pivot to Asia could be seen as the genesis of the US cracking down on CN.

I get it though – as much as you have to plug your nose, Trump administration for the most part has been much more aggressive in standing up against increasing CN imperialism, and all other issues aside, it makes him an attractive pick. I do fear though that this (imo still poorly calibrated and hamfisted) intensity and aggression will be short-lived. As alluded by another poster, see how Trump went from staunchly against Kim Jong-un, to gushing about him in a relatively short course of time. Again, he is only in it for himself. I am sure the TW gov knows that though, and is trying to play the best hand possible with what is available.

3 Likes

Let me break it down for you:

Democrats are politically backed by Hollywood, Nike, the Social Media companies, and the financiers that help Chinese SOE get listed in US? (all companies owned by Chinese persons are ultimatley CCP-owned) Can we say this claim is true? Yes.

Now, are these companies interested in making profits denominated in RMB? No. They are interested in USD only. (Why? RMB is pretty much worthless and is not liquid anyway.)
Can we agree on this statement? Yes.

So what is the point of these Democrats’ backers politically aligning themselves with China? The mechanism works this way - China provides these companies a plausible rationale/excuse to extract US dollars out of the United States, and in exchange, China promises to distribute a substantial portion of these overseas US dollars back into the hands of these US corporations.

In other words, these US companies, in order to maximize their INDIVIDUAL profit denominated in US dollars, COLLECTIVELY agree to let China play the role of the No.1 middleman dispenser of these overseas US dollars. Essentially Democrats’ backers agree that China should have monopoly over the distribution of overseas US dollars.

China promises profits to these Democrats’ backers, in exchange for China taking a large share of these US dollars to expand their national power, buying up more influence and ownerships in the West and around the world. Democrats’ backers put Taiwan in the kind of danger that no amount of condemnation of human rights can remedy.

Aside:
As we know, for every US dollar created out of thin air, by accounting principle 1 dollar of debt must be created on the book. This is perfectly fine if these US dollars circulate domestically or around US-friendly countries, except that national debt figure is psychologically damaging to an ordinary person in US, because the population can only image that the government’s bank account work just like household bank accounts (They do not have the education to comprehend otherwise.) And this demoralizing effect to US population is exactly what China wants, as a bonus.

More aside: China’s national debt has no effect on the Chinese population and Chinese diaspora, because they have no concept of any public affair and governance anyway. This is the great irony. China’s debt is at least 320% and growing at 15% annually, most recently. China can grow its debt to 1000% and the Chinese population would not even know anything to care anything.

1 Like

Condemnation of China’s human rights especially by the US Government achieves nothing other than

1. Encourage China to continue to abduct and release select few individuals, on a case-by-case basis, as a form of"hostage diplomacy."

2. And because China releases select few dissidents from time to time, the Democrat voters of feel good about themselves, that they’re doing good deeds.

3. Absolve Corporate America, such as Nike, NBA, Marriott, American Airlines, UPS, and Harvard University etc from their partnership with China.

High profile celebrities who use the most obscene language to demonize Trump have no qualms about China’s human right abuses.

At the end of the day, Democrats corporate backers do not see China as a national threat. Democrats voters by large also agree with Corporate America. The Democrats are more upset about Trump as a person than about China.

Aside:
Democrats voters since 2016 have mostly immersed themselves with the business of Cultural Marxism. In their eyes, China (the Chinese being “people of colour”) belong to “the oppressed” vis-a-vis US Imperialism (synonymous with White Supremacy and Racism according to Cultural Marxism). The prospect of a Democrat administration can only be BAD for Taiwan’s survival.

3 Likes

Democrats (and surprisingly John Bolton) do not prioritize China over lesser powers such as Russia, North Korea, Iran, and Venezuela. Here are the only differences:

John Bolton: All threats are equally bad, and solved by military one by one.
Democrats: All threats are equally mitigated by verbal condemnation, but only if such verbal condemnation does not unilaterally come from US.

Moreover:
Democrats: China is a partner to solve the North Korean problem.
Trump: North Korea is a partner to solve the China threat.

Democrats: Russia Russia Russia.
Trump: Chyna Chyna Chyna

3 Likes

Thank you for taking the time and effort to provide me with all of this information. While I do not agree with 100% of the takes here, I by-and-large get the thrust of what you are saying, understand and agree with a fair amount of it, and I believe have learned some new info today.

固有 means “currently owned and longstanding.”

Yes, but the problem is the document never specified what is considered “currently”.

I’ve listed 3 most common explanations of that passage.

1. Currently means when the document was written, then Taiwan certainly isn’t ROC territory, at least not according to the constitution.

2. Currently means whenever you read the constitution, in that case ROC is only made up of Taiwan, Penghu, Kinmen, Matzu and other islands.

3. Longstanding means had been a part of China in the past, so we can claim any territory that Han, Tang, Mongols, Qing occupied in the past.

1 Like

“Opinion | Can Taiwan survive a second Trump term? - The Washington Post” https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/07/14/can-taiwan-survive-second-trump-term/?outputType=amp

2 Likes

Once again for those who forget:

2 Likes

The thing is most people aren’t far-left or far-right, and what define far-left and far-right are constantly changing.

With the right voting sysyem, such as ranked voting and mixed-member proportional representation, people aren’t pigeonholed to vote along the partisan line, and instead can vote for the issues that matters to them and small parties that better represents their views. That would leave little rooms for politicians with totalitarian or authoritarian leaning.

Thought about posting this on the US election thread, but I feel like we’ve been covering this topic here

Geez, I still can’t figure out why Taiwanese people like Trump.
:thinking:

4 Likes

Because they know Biden will be cucked by Xi

2 Likes

Most people are too young to realize that the Republicans under Eisenhower were the strongest supporters of Chiang Kai-shek and the KMT, and strongly opposed any movement towards democracy or Taiwan independence (Maoism! ). The first U.S. president to support civil rights for Taiwanese people was Jimmy Carter.
Now, they interpret opposition to mainland China as support for Taiwan (two very different things). Occasionally you get old-timey Republicans still ranting about Chiang and the good old KMT’s opposition to Red China, without realising times have changed.

And the first US president to begin leaning towards China was Richard Nixon.

Unfortunately the current KMT loves the CCP and their money

2 Likes

Yeah, the days of 反共復國 are long over. If you can’t beat 'em, sell your soul for a little pocket change.

2 Likes

Not a single Democrat co-sponsor of the Taiwan Invasion Prevention Act

https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/house-bill/7855/cosponsors?r=7&s=1&searchResultViewType=expanded

Rep. McCaul, Michael T. [R-TX-10]* 07/29/2020
Rep. Chabot, Steve [R-OH-1]* 07/29/2020
Rep. Gallagher, Mike [R-WI-8]* 07/29/2020
Rep. Crenshaw, Dan [R-TX-2]* 07/29/2020
Rep. Balderson, Troy [R-OH-12]* 07/29/2020
Rep. Burchett, Tim [R-TN-2]* 07/29/2020
Rep. Perry, Scott [R-PA-10]* 07/29/2020
Rep. Flores, Bill [R-TX-17]* 07/29/2020
Rep. Wright, Ron [R-TX-6]* 07/29/2020
Rep. Curtis, John R. [R-UT-3]* 07/29/2020
Rep. Guest, Michael [R-MS-3]* 07/29/2020
Rep. Reschenthaler, Guy [R-PA-14]* 07/29/2020
Rep. Rouzer, David [R-NC-7]* 07/29/2020
Rep. Diaz-Balart, Mario [R-FL-25]* 07/29/2020
Rep. Cloud, Michael [R-TX-27]* 07/29/2020
Rep. Waltz, Michael [R-FL-6]* 07/29/2020
5 Likes

Were they asked? Maybe Republican’s wanted all the glory. Anyway, Congress isn’t really into co-sponsoring much these days.

Taiwan is doing well in this administration and I’m happy about that.

Maybe.

But it’s not like democrats ever really take initiative on Taiwan. It’s always republicans that even care.

2 Likes