Why is there nobody here that I know?

Edit: Sunday 11 January, and it’s a lovely day. I’m going to do the “wasting Sunday afternoon on the balcony” thing, and inviting a few friends. If you have nothing else to do, then drop by and say hi.

A few years ago Sunday afternoons were a kind of informal forumosa happy hour on the balcony at Carnegies. Anyone could turn up at any time from 11 to late afternoon and be reasonably confident of finding the place full of looser English teachers and sad old expats to talk to.

But now I find myself sitting here alone. What happened? Did everyone have babies or something? Am I the only sad old looser expat English teacher left?

There is a reason … and it’s the kind of thing only a friend would tell you … which is why no one’s told you … :s

[quote=“Loretta”]What happened? Did everyone have babies or something?[/quote] Bingo.

There’s Sunday afternoon Bingo? And nobody told me?

‘Bingo’ is the code word Maoman uses to make his dog leave little gifts for people. I didn’t know you could train storks in the same way, but I infer from his post that you can.

Amazing! I may not have met anyone interesting today, but at least I’ve got the ‘learn something new’ part over with. Now I need one of these waitresses to make herself available for a good deed.

[quote=“Loretta”]
But now I find myself sitting here alone. What happened? Did everyone have babies or something? Am I the only sad old looser expat English teacher ledt?[/quote]

Fuck, no! The key people have shifted, that’s all. (Although, it does seem like most furriners I knew in the 'wan have left, apart from the married men. No good jobs for people like me.)

Groups cluster around certain areas because of key people. When the key people are not there, it just doesn’t happen. The key people are not special in any way, but they are the ones who organise and set up networks and attract the rest of the group(s).

You need to figure out who they are in the networks you wish to be a part of, and adapt.

You can become a key person, but it’s always Macchiavellian and sad to watch… Oh, and the key people are not who you think they are.*

Either that, or everyone’s avoiding you.

*This is possibly the key to pretty much everything.

Because you disappeared for months and everyone’s forgotten you?
Who are you anyway?

If I told you where we all are, it would, well…kind of defeat the purpose of us being where we are…and then we’d all have to go to somewhere else yet again…

Loretta, time to start the CPI 250 SM balcony network. All the “club members” park the motos on the street by the balcony, leave the motos unlocked, and lasso attempted thieves. Bring your video camera. There will be media coverage after a few Youtube posts. This is your doorway to a Taiwanese P.R. career, errr, don’t print the business cards yet… not sure about the doorway thing.

Uggh! Sounds awful. I can’t imagine anything worse than sitting around with a bunch of motorbike enthusiasts, all going on and on about their sprocket flanges and turbinated battery chargers. Even talking to the chief would be preferable.

Maybe next week all the hot forumosan chicks could congregate instead? We could be the balcony babes.

(Inevitably they will take turns going round the block on the Beau Jolly like Joesax did yesterday, but girls on motorbikes are a lot sexier than petrolheads on the balcony.)

Hi, im new to these forums and not really sure the purpose of this thread, or the banter contained within. However if any of you people are interested in hanging out sometime(as im 2 weeks new to taipei) id be interested. Any age/demographic, im sure you have all some interesting stories etc to talk about.

About me: 25 from so-cal, majored in biology, ex-professional gamer, prospective english teacher, current poker poker.

lemme know, i live in niehu, but i dont mind traveling.

We all left. Simple. Taiwan government makes it too hard for people with real jobs to stay.

I didn’t say, but you inferred, that the balcony moto-club would be male. There are moto-babes, even CPI 250 SM moto-babes who are not afraid of slipping off the saddle to one-foot a redlight.

[quote=“Loretta”]

(Inevitably they will take turns going round the block on the Beau Jolly like Joesax did yesterday, but girls on motorbikes are a lot sexier than petrolheads on the balcony.)[/quote]

Aww you named your motorcycle. Despite protests to the contrary I think you really do have a soft heart.

Most have moved on, in one way or another mate, but you knew that already.

Time to recruit th younger generation into your circle.

Uncle Tomas wrote: [quote]Time to recruit the younger generation into your circle.[/quote]
I’ve been telling him to start his own religion for years.

But hasn’t there been a cult of Aphrodite for, like, two millenia?

You’re mixing them up, Loretta’s followers comprise the cult of Naffrodite…

I went to Carnage again this Sunday and ran into someone that I know. A prominent forumosan. Actually, he came over to my table with a young lady on his arm. A very young lady. She was, like, young enough to be his daughter. My date was quite embarrassed.

She was one of those girls that can’t keep her hands off her man’s body. She had her arms round his neck and preferred to snuggle up to her superannuated mate than join in the conversation. Fortunately they went off to sit at another table, but when I went over to say goodbye, guess what he was doing?

He was sucking her fingers!! In a restaurant!! It was insane. As we left, my date couldn’t tear herself away and stood watching them for ages.

I’m never going there again.

Ew, gross! Old people having sex!