Why is there nobody here that I know?

Oh, wait, I get it. It was his daughter. Lola, you almost made me lose my egg McMuffin there.

Carnagies is a grim place. Much like Roxy Vibe and Brass Monkey. I’d be happy to meet up for some cards, swinging and circle jerks. Just joking. Some games would be nice or just some ol’ fashioned drinkin’.

Well, it’s full of forumosa guys with their children/dates, but you don’t have to talk to them. They used to do a nice brunch, even though the coffe was baaaad. i hear they have TV screens in there now, though? That would make it a no-go, for sure.

I dunno, although it is really crap and awful, it’s fun if you’re in the right mood (pissed).

(A fair chunk of my half-written novel happens in ‘Carnegies’.)

Nothing nicer than a seat on the balcony at Carnage of a weekend waiting for what you know will be a curing feast, idly watching the meandering traffic, both pedestrian and motorised as good friends rattle on about the silliness of the night before and who knows what. As far as simple Taipei weekend pleasures go, it can’t really be beaten.

HG

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]Nothing nicer than a seat on the balcony at Carnage of a weekend waiting for what you know will be a curing feast, idly watching the meandering traffic, both pedestrian and motorised as good friends rattle on about the silliness of the night before and who knows what. As far as simple Taipei weekend pleasures go, it can’t really be beaten.

HG[/quote]

Yup, definitely one of the things I miss about the 'wan.

I just realised something. I think what amplified the pleasure of my weekends in Taiwan was the dread of the encroaching work week. Like the handiwork of an exquisite torturer, the reality of Monday morning was never as pronounced as the fear it invoked on a sleepless Sunday night.

Needless to say, I don’t miss that.

HG

[quote=“Loretta”]I went to Carnage again this Sunday and ran into someone that I know. A prominent forumosan. Actually, he came over to my table with a young lady on his arm. A very young lady. She was, like, young enough to be his daughter. My date was quite embarrassed.

She was one of those girls that can’t keep her hands off her man’s body. She had her arms round his neck and preferred to snuggle up to her superannuated mate than join in the conversation. Fortunately they went off to sit at another table, but when I went over to say goodbye, guess what he was doing?

He was sucking her fingers!! In a restaurant!! It was insane. As we left, my date couldn’t tear herself away and stood watching them for ages.

I’m never going there again.[/quote]

That's what you get when you roll with the Big Fluff Daddy!

I have no idea what that means. But it sounds fun. Can we try it some time?

I probably won’t be there this coming week on account of being somewhere else. But maybe it’s time to consider becoming a crowd some time soonish?

coughs Who’s up for a Sunday afternoon on the balcony, 9th November?

An informed view. Yes, Carnage is a cesspit within a greater cesspit(Taipei). Avoid the place like you’d avoid the plague. Why not opt for a stroll in the hills, a visit to a temple, or a cup of Chinese tea at a traditional tea house?

Umm, cos they don’t do English breakfasts?

HG

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]Umm, cos they don’t do English breakfasts?

HG[/quote]

I’ll list my reasons:

1. A cigarette-drenched atmosphere and poor ventilation.
2. Expensive drinks.
3. Empty conversation.
4. Loud music that is the same week after week after tedious week.
5. A small % of women - most unattractive, many owned by pimps - that lead to a competitive and aggressive environment that can lead to injury a la Steve et al.
6. Opportunity cost: Going to Carneigies means I can’t stay at home with my gorgeous girlfriend and watch a classic old flick with a cup of PG Tips.

Oh, I don’t need to go out for an English breaky: I make a fine one at home!

Aiyo! Blossom! I’d hardly call Carnage a gangster viper pit. And I’m quite sure I’ve not had an empty conversation there, mostly because I usually go there to hook up with a good crowd of friends. I also like to smoke, but I don’t like stewing in the stuff, which is why I mentioned sitting on the terrace. I used to very much enjoy the ladies nights of yore there, but these days I;m happy hobbling around in the daylight hours and leaving the nightlife to those that like such things.

I guess what I’m saying is that you don’t do pubs. that’s cool, that means it;s pubs not necessarily Carnage you don;t like.

HG

Well, yes HG, I suppose you’re right. I don’t like pubs and I don’t like cities, which is why I hang pictures of bucolic vistas on my wall, take regular holidays to sunny islands in Thailand, and read the Romantic poetry of William Wordsworth that helps carry me far, far away from the filth and decadence of the city:
[b]
I WANDERED LONELY AS A CLOUD

I wandered lonely as a cloud
That floats on high o’er vales and hills,
When all at once I saw a crowd,
A host of golden daffodils;
Beside the lake, beneath the trees,
Fluttering and dancing in the breeze.

Continuous as the stars
that shine and twinkle on the Milky Way,
They stretched in never-ending line
along the margin of a bay:
Ten thousand saw I at a glance,
tossing their heads in sprightly dance.

The waves beside them danced; but they
Out-did the sparkling waves in glee:
A poet could not but be gay,
in such a jocund company:
I gazed - and gazed - but little thought
what wealth the show to me had brought:

For oft, when on my couch I lie
In vacant or in pensive mood,
They flash upon that inward eye
Which is the bliss of solitude;
And then my heart with pleasure fills,
And dances with the daffodils.[/b]

Ahhhh . . . .

Fair enough, LB, but the world is not quite too much with we that are fond of a smoky pub tipple from time to time. :laughing:

HG

Sunday 11 January, and it’s a lovely day. I’m going to do the “wasting Sunday afternoon on the balcony” thing, and inviting a few friends. If you have nothing else to do, then drop by and say hi.

dont drink any beer

Miss you L. Nowhere brunchable in this shell of a place!

Thanks for the invite. I would join, but I’ve only recently arisen and my whisky bottle beckons.

Trudi and I stopped by, but you were already gone. What - you were there all of an hour? I had a nice time with Funk500 and MJB and his daughter.