Why isn't Chiu Yi in jail (instead of on TV every night)?

Anyone know? I read (link below) that he got 18 months for the truck attack, yet there he is every night. Or maybe he’s begun his sentence and that’s just one of the 大悶鍋 comedians doing an impression. Please let this man see the inside of a cell…

taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/ … 2003294537

Maybe because they cannot find him…

Yeah, Taiwan is unique. As long as you hold political office you can steal tax payer money, buy homes in California and Shanghai, and still get paid twice or thrice more than the American President, and get away with it all. Isn’t it glorious?

Well, somebody put him there… If you want to blame someone, go blame those who voted him. He is just doing the “In Rome be a Roman” thing. Hell, he has to preserve the Status Quo and the modus vivendi (well Ma called it modus vivandi) of the taiwanese political class. Can anyone imagine a clean politician over here?

Yes the Taiwanese people are uneducated fools from what I can tell from People’s Daily and Xinhua. This is why we need the progressive politicians from China (again from People’s Daily and Xinhua) to lead Taiwan into the future.

Anyway, I have NO IDEA how people like this get elected. Seriously doesn’t anyone in Taiwan speak up about this stuff or does the media not give a crap?

Well, with coloured and biased media, it is hard to give it any credibility.

Journalists should tell facts, no comment them. This is the stupidest thing I have ever seen in Taiwan. Only comparable to those journalists who cover the White House - If you say something bad against someone inside there, you can loose your previledge. And without those previledges they have no job.

[quote=“ShrimpCrackers”]
Yes the Taiwanese people are uneducated fools from what I can tell from People’s Daily and Xinhua. This is why we need the progressive politicians from China (again from People’s Daily and Xinhua) to lead Taiwan into the future.
[/quote]Not to get in the way of your bombastic and patently ridiculous rhetoric… But have you ever actually read the People’s Daily and Xinhua? They publish in English too, if that’s what’s stopped you before.

I challenge you to find me an article that categorizes the Taiwanese people are “uneducated fools”. I think it’s mostly the pan-Green media (when speaking of the blues) and the pan-Blue media (when speaking of the greens) that tends to take that particular tactic.

You can get CCTV4 and CCTV9 in the United States too, you know. Both widely available on DirecTV and most cable systems. CCTV4, for example, hosts a weekly show in Taiwanese talking about cross-strait affairs. Here’s a suggestion, watch the show once, so you know at least what your ‘enemy’ is saying about the Taiwanese people.

[quote=“cctang”][quote=“ShrimpCrackers”]
[/quote]Not to get in the way of your bombastic and patently ridiculous rhetoric… But have you ever actually read the People’s Daily and Xinhua? They publish in English too, if that’s what’s stopped you before.

I challenge you to find me an article that categorizes the Taiwanese people are “uneducated fools”. I think it’s mostly the pan-Green media (when speaking of the blues) and the pan-Blue media (when speaking of the greens) that tends to take that particular tactic.

You can get CCTV4 and CCTV9 in the United States too, you know. Both widely available on DirecTV and most cable systems. CCTV4, for example, hosts a weekly show in Taiwanese talking about cross-strait affairs. Here’s a suggestion, watch the show once, so you know at least what your ‘enemy’ is saying about the Taiwanese people.[/quote]

Check the People’s Daily forums and editorials please. The admins delete everyone elses posts but not when it claws at America. Also didn’t Jiang Zemin once say that Taiwanese people looked stupid? In addition China famously calls Taiwanese politicians idiots or crazies all the time, you know this yourself. Back in 1996 didn’t one of your generals say that 1/3rd of Taiwanese people had mental problems because they were afraid over the straits issue? It was on SinoTV. But then again your generals are really nutty for threatening to nuke America on more than one occasion.

Also, I can do without your condescending attitude. I know what I can get in the USA, and I actually have those channels as well as SinoTV on cable. Also DirecTV isn’t the cheapest method for those channels, there are other Chinese owned companies that offer the same thing for half the price.

Oh yeah, and as for Li Ao, gosh his show airs at like what? 2am? Forget it!

Fair request, I’ll drop the condescending attitutde. :slight_smile:

[quote]Also didn’t Jiang Zemin once say that Taiwanese people looked stupid? In addition China famously calls Taiwanese politicians idiots or crazies all the time, you know this yourself. [/quote]When? What? Why? And as far as calling specific Taiwanese politicians idiots or crazies… my god man, that’s not propaganda. I’m sure everyone in Taiwan has said the same about one politician or another. That’s a major, major difference from calling the “Taiwanese people” stupid or foolish. Turn on CCTV4, and you’ll see constant programming intended to celebrate Taiwanese culture on a weekly basis.

Just FYI, the best deal for Chinese programming is probably Dish Networks. No one, not even the local Chinese carriers, come close to carrying the array of regional programming available through Dish. They have something like 19 mainland Chinese channels from every corner of China. Or, check out pplive.com. It’s one of several peer2peer TV broadcasting services in China, each of which carries hundeds of channels worth of Chinese and Taiwanese programming to every corner of the globe, 24/7.

EDIT: Oh, and Li Ao’s show is broadcast on Phoenix a couple times throughout the day. Li Ao isn’t exactly the same thing as “Chinese propaganda”, you know. He also has plenty of harsh critics throughout China.

[quote=“cctang”]Fair request, I’ll drop the condescending attitutde. :slight_smile:

[quote]Also didn’t Jiang Zemin once say that Taiwanese people looked stupid? In addition China famously calls Taiwanese politicians idiots or crazies all the time, you know this yourself. [/quote]When? What? Why? And as far as calling specific Taiwanese politicians idiots or crazies… my god man, that’s not propaganda. I’m sure everyone in Taiwan has said the same about one politician or another. That’s a major, major difference from calling the “Taiwanese people” stupid or foolish. Turn on CCTV4, and you’ll see constant programming intended to celebrate Taiwanese culture on a weekly basis.

Just FYI, the best deal for Chinese programming is probably Dish Networks. No one, not even the local Chinese carriers, come close to carrying the array of regional programming available through Dish. They have something like 19 mainland Chinese channels from every corner of China. Or, check out pplive.com. It’s one of several peer2peer TV broadcasting services in China, each of which carries hundeds of channels worth of Chinese and Taiwanese programming to every corner of the globe, 24/7.

EDIT: Oh, and Li Ao’s show is broadcast on Phoenix a couple times throughout the day. Li Ao isn’t exactly the same thing as “Chinese propaganda”, you know. He also has plenty of harsh critics throughout China.[/quote]
Yeah I know. Li Ao is nutty. My parents stopped talking to him early on. Nope I don’t watch Phoenix and my mom loves Korean dramas, so I saw the commercial for Li Ao at like 2am for Sino. Much like many other technogeeks, I do not watch TV regularly. I download them.

Yeah there are also Taiwanese sites that broadcast news etc online too, in fact CTV has an online streamer.

Yes CCTV4 does have shows that talk about Taiwan, because I mean, gosh, you gotta talk about one of your most successful provinces from time to time right? But hey TVBS even talks about Taiwan, but you know I try my best not to watch it. Anyway, news shows in Taiwan and China are generally trash. The BBC or CNN is IMO much much better.

Second thoughts Atrabilious, your call for Chiu Yi “let’s see this guy on the inside of a cell” seems a bit off kilter now - since subsequent to your intial “lock-him-up” calls, all the outrageously scandalaous accusations he has made have all turned out to be true. From the 1st Lady’s insider trading to the Cheif justice minister pretending he knew nothing about Chen Che nan’s repayment of a bribe, leading to the former’s resignation yesterday.

If he was behind bars, none of this would have come out (shame, isn’t it), and we could all go on thinking he was just some commie-loving hysterical sladnderer bent on tarnishing the good name of the DPP. And now most of the DPP heavyweights agree with him, and have realised its time to distance themselves from Ah -bian before he takes them down with him.

his crime? inciting a riot? yeah, lock him up with all those falun gong people, thai labourers, & other troublemakers…

My initial question was simply why, having been tried, convicted, and sentenced, this infuriating little ruffian isn’t presently in the hoosegow. I did not know then about legislators’ constitutional immunity from detention (see a relevant editorial by Brian Kennedy below).

taipeitimes.com/News/editori … 8/30/51277

Well that was news. No wonder there’re so many corrupt politicians here - no-one can do anything about it.

Yes - isn’t it absolutely outrageous how these legislators are immune from prosecution. I wonder where they go that brilliant idea from?

The U.S. would you believe. Being used to a British legal system, I am always intrigued by my first experience of living under a U.S.-based legal system (upon which Taiwan is largely based), and assumed all you Amercians already new about legislator immunity. Don’t you read your constitution? Try Article 3, section 2, sub-clause 3.2

…No wonder there are so many corrupt legislators in the US? well, I’m not sure if that’s a logical conclusion. Anyways, the country of my origin (before I renounced citizenship, that is) was Britain, and look how medieval our system is still retaining a feudal monarchy. Corruption and democracy can often go hand in hand, it seems. Look at Thailand & the Philippines - now they’re both something for Taiwan to aspire to!

[quote=“govt-attache”]Yes - isn’t it absolutely outrageous how these legislators are immune from prosecution. I wonder where they go that brilliant idea from?

The U.S. would you believe. Being used to a British legal system, I am always intrigued by my first experience of living under a U.S.-based legal system (upon which Taiwan is largely based), and assumed all you Amercians already new about legislator immunity. Don’t you read your constitution? Try Article 3, section 2, sub-clause 3.2[/quote]

Did you read the TT article posted above? I’m no lawyer, but I think it’s fairly clear that the relative privileges in the US and Taiwan for legislators differ quite widely:

Now if he’s wrong, would you mind telling me how and why?

[quote=“Atrabilious”]My initial question was simply why, having been tried, convicted, and sentenced, this infuriating little ruffian isn’t presently in the hoosegow. I did not know then about legislators’ constitutional immunity from detention (see a relevant editorial by Brian Kennedy below).

taipeitimes.com/News/editori … 8/30/51277[/quote]

So do the legislators serve a prison sentence after their term?

[quote=“govt-attache”]I am always intrigued by my first experience of living under a U.S.-based legal system (upon which Taiwan is largely based)[/quote]Actually, IIRC, the Taiwan legal system is more based on the German system.

Here’s your answer. The guy wears a wig.

Chiu Yi "real face.’’ The left pic shows Chiu wearing a wig and the right shows him with his, er, natural hair.

Chiu has also faked his divorce to reduce the amount of property and assets registered in his name. What a faker!

taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/ … 2005053686

Well, no democracy can be real until everyone is treated the same - so this is a blatant case of misuse of power.
Nothing more than a civil protest against this should be enough to revert this situation. No man should be above the law, specially the ones who should be the first to comply with them.

And no matter what Chiu Yi comes up next, the fact that he was allready convicted doens’t change. So stop the conspiracy theories - and, if Chiu Yi was in fact a true legislator, all the accusations in made should have be done in a police station, not in a press conference - either he doesn’t know what police is, or he doesn’t believe in the judicial system (and I believe that it is the second one, because he was convicted and he’s still free).

[quote=“govt-attache”] Don’t you read your constitution? Try Article 3, section 2, sub-clause 3.2

[/quote]

Hmmm, Article three is about the Judicial Branch, NOT the legislature.