Why kids should learn BJJ or Old Skool Judo

California is an interesting place: 9 year old Bakersfield kid who studies BJJ chokes out (kind of) pit bull. “Film at 11” here:
bakersfieldnow.com/news/loca … eo=YHI&t=a

take care,
Cali Brian

Pit bull vs. chihuahua-dachshund mix? That’s just plain unfair.

Oh yes the good old US media; every dog attack is a pitbull. They said a pit bull type dog they weren’t even sure. Then they reinforce the idea by posting pictures of other pit bulls. It really pisses me off that the media decides to say dog attacks are pit bulls when they are unsure. Further ruining the reputation of an excellent breed.

Its awesome that the kid saved the day and did it with a BJJ hold but these type of news spots really piss me off.

According to the clip:

“No one has come forward to claim the dog yet”. Really now, who expected the owner to show up and say “hey, I had a big animal that I didn’t take proper precautions to prevent from escaping and now it attacked someone else opening me up to legal ramifications.” Idiotic new report and vapid news reporters.

That kid is both incredibly brave and incredibly stupid, but as they say, it goes hand and hand. Or maybe there is a thin line between the two. Either way, he could have been seriously injured taking on a vicious dog like that. He’s lucky that he came out without being harmed. Rather than alerting an adult like he should have, he jumped in and put himself in physical danger. You can replace a Chihuahua-dachshund mix a lot easier than you could replace two kids.

I know what you mean djkonstable, that it sucks that Pitbulls get a bad rap for their owners incompetence. The thing is, I can’t think of a damn good reason why you would keep an animal with that kind of temperament in the city limits. It can be a good dog if treated properly and allowed to become accustomed to other dogs, but you still run the risk. If it gets out you are liable if it bites someone. That and the honest facts are, I would estimate the majority of pitbulls are owned by assholes in the barrios who want mean dogs that look macho. If they aren’t being used for dog fights, they are still “toughened” up.

[quote=“lbksig”]According to the clip:
I know what you mean djkonstable, that it sucks that Pitbulls get a bad rap for their owners incompetence. The thing is, I can’t think of a damn good reason why you would keep an animal with that kind of temperament in the city limits.[/quote]

I am not sure if you are remarking on the pit bulls temperament or just that dog in general.

It is reported on temperament tests conducted by the American Temperament Test Society the American Pit Bull Terrier has a current (December 2004) passing rate of 83.9% – compared to only 77% of the general dog population.

Temperament tests consist of putting a dog through a series of unexpected situations, some involving strangers. Any signs of unprovoked aggression or panic in these situations result in failure of the test. (Please visit ATTS.org) for more info.

Further proof that it is not the breed that is at fault or aggressive by nature.

[quote=“djkonstable”][quote=“lbksig”]According to the clip:
I know what you mean djkonstable, that it sucks that Pitbulls get a bad rap for their owners incompetence. The thing is, I can’t think of a damn good reason why you would keep an animal with that kind of temperament in the city limits.[/quote]

I am not sure if you are remarking on the pit bulls temperament or just that dog in general.

It is reported on temperament tests conducted by the American Temperament Test Society the American Pit Bull Terrier has a current (December 2004) passing rate of 83.9% – compared to only 77% of the general dog population.

Temperament tests consist of putting a dog through a series of unexpected situations, some involving strangers. Any signs of unprovoked aggression or panic in these situations result in failure of the test. (Please visit ATTS.org) for more info.

Further proof that it is not the breed that is at fault or aggressive by nature.[/quote]

The only situation I could possibly put my dogs through that they could or would fail, depending, would be the "Holy shit! What’s that!: Test…(ask me for clarity…it’s easier to figure out than you imagine).

Which simply means they could be through a war with you and they’d stay sober BUT the problem lays in when they see something dart by their field of view. Then you have an issue/problem. The good ones watch sudden movements and that problem is hard to fuck with.

Excellent dogs…and I’m a poor owner at the moment.