Why many females means trouble? 姦 = Jiān

Not trying to be sexists, but just curious if anyone knows the story behind it

Welcome to Forumosa, Ipoh! :bowing:

Now excuse me while I enjoy the inevitable flow of snarky comments.
:popcorn:

If you’re from Ipoh, you should already know the answer.

I thought 姦 meant rape? Which, of course, is evil. But that video was just weird. And does 女馬 really mean mother in China?

Those two radicals squashed together, ‘ma’ representing the sound rather than the meaning.

Ohhhhh… I get it. Kinda like how 咬 is 口交 smashed together?
:smirk:

媽 does. as for the other meanings, the chinese were wise, 2 女 could lead to trouble, 3 女 definetly means trouble :stuck_out_tongue:

Biting is not encouraged in the second one.

But it gives a whole new perspective on “bite me!” :wink:

Which is also a colloquial expression in Chinese.

Which is exactly how I learned about those characters.

Now if only “blow me” were a colloquial expression in Chinese. I guess I have my work cut out for me…

i didn’t know ipoh is famous!

Actually, it’s not. But don’t let that get you down. At least you’ve got white coffee and the tin mines.

Nope, it means sex, in a negative tone. 強姦 means rape.

It’s a slang now. 咬咬 means a bj on internet.

It’s no secret that a lot of the languages are machist. See French:

Never thought I’d say this, but I’ll pass on that one…

不要咬咬?

Disclaimer: I’m not offering!

It’s not called a “tooth job” for good reason.

姦 is the original Hanji character for the obscene word “to frak” now commonly written as 幹.

姦 is said to be pronounced as 古顔切, which would be /kan/ in middle Chinese, and it still is pronounced kàn in Taigi, which sounds exactly the same as 幹 in both Taigi and Mandarin.

The /k/ initial eventually went through a palatalization and went from /k/ to /tɕ/ in several Northern Sinitic languages. The palatalization also inserted the /i/ before /an/.

It also meant that somewhere along the line, Northern Chinese felt a need to distinguish the sounds for “evil” and “to frak”. So while the sound for “evil” shifted to /tɕiɛn/, the sound for “to frak” remained /kan/, which they then felt the need to also represent these sounds with separate characters.

For those Sinitic languages closer to Middle Chinese, it’s just 姦 /kan/ for both evil and to frak.