Why more jobs after CNY?

I have read about the phenomenon of more jobs available after Chinese New Year, and less available prior to the holiday. BUT WHY? I have had a lot of trouble, even with my experience and bon vivant nature, and if not for Loretta’s help I’d have nothing to hope for after two long weeks.
So why are there more jobs after CNY? Are they good jobs, or jobs people dump so they can take better ones? Do bosses fire crap employees after their winter break? (Surely a harsh option!) Questions…

[quote=“TomHill”]I have read about the phenomenon of more jobs available after Chinese New Year, and less available prior to the holiday. BUT WHY? I have had a lot of trouble, even with my experience and bon vivant nature, and if not for Loretta’s help I’d have nothing to hope for after two long weeks.
So why are there more jobs after CNY? Are they good jobs, or jobs people dump so they can take better ones? Do bosses fire crap employees after their winter break? (Surely a harsh option!) Questions…[/quote]

Well it seems to me, that CNY is like the last two weeks of the year in the western calander. The weeks preceeding it are the house cleaning business settling time. Are you saying that even after CNY you aren’t able to find a job?

No.

A lot of people leave their jobs during this time. I’m one of them.

It’s more auspicious to beigin new business relationships after the Chinese new year rather than immedately before it. Also, the new semester begins soon after the new year, so new classes open and demand goes up as opposed to immediately before the new year when the semester is ending and student populations in buxibans are comparitively lower. A further point: if you get paid by salary, your boss will be stuck paying you for the holiday (also the bonus) even though you’ve only been working there a few weeks.

Workers quit there jobs after the new year so they can get their yearly
bonuses just before the holiday starts. Thats why jobs open up and become available after the new year.

Teaching or non-teaching?

Teaching: It’s the start of a new semester. New classes may open, and bosses will try and ensure that teachers don’t quit (or get fired) in the middle of a semester).

Non-teaching: Employees hang around for the New Year’s bonuses, which in some industries can be 2 or 3 months salary.

Brian

The big chain schools get most of their employees to coincide with the start of a new semester in August or February. Then those teachers, even if they leave the dreaded chain school, continue to renew their ARC annually. We can’t easily change schools except when it’s time for our ARC to be renewed.

Also, the parents are more likely to want to start their kids at the beginning of a school semester, so new classes are synced with the school year. Some new classes might also begin at the beginning of the summer vacation, so isn’t it easier to get a job at that time?