Why must dependents wait 4 months for Nat'l Health Care?

I recently tried to apply for NHI but was told I have to wait until I have resided (On an ARC) for 4 months. My ARC is through marriage to a Taiwanese. I checked this rule on the NHI website and it does exist.

What I’m wondering is; considering I paid into the system from around 1995-2000 as an English teacher…, do I still have to wait 4 months?

Any idea what this 4 month waiting period is for?

Furthermore, the people at the NHI office said it’s simple enough to bypass this waiting period by just getting “employed” by a company in the mean time.
Strange they would apply such a waiting period to a dependant but at the same time leave such a loophole such as this “employment”.

Even a newborn child is not covered by NHI in a similar situation. After 4 months they will be covered. However, employment of the newborn would violate child-labor laws.

I don’t see it as a loophole, if you are working you are paying premiums into the system therefore you should get NHI. I think it’s very generous of the government to give dependents coverage without charging extra (or do they?).

I don’t see it as a loophole, if you are working you are paying premiums into the system therefore you should get NHI. I think it’s very generous of the government to give dependents coverage without charging extra (or do they?).[/quote]

Of course they charge extra even for an “unemployed” dependant.I have no problem with that at all. So, it does appear as a loophole, …and they even suggested using this way.

A child born to a Taiwan parent even if the other parent is a foreigner gets insurance as soon as the parent applies.Furthemore, they have to be listed on the houshold registry and can only leave on a Taiwan passport.
In other words—if one parent is Taiwanese the child is automatically( and required by law to be) a Taiwan citizen.

A child born to a Taiwan parent even if the other parent is a foreigner gets insurance as soon as the parent applies.Furthemore, they have to be listed on the houshold registry and can only leave on a Taiwan passport.
In other words—if one parent is Taiwanese the child is automatically( and required by law to be) a Taiwan citizen.[/quote]

But I know that neither of your parents are Taiwanese, or you’d get insurance retroactively.

A child born to a Taiwan parent even if the other parent is a foreigner gets insurance as soon as the parent applies. Furthemore, they have to be listed on the houshold registry and can only leave on a Taiwan passport.
In other words—if one parent is Taiwanese the child is automatically( and required by law to be) a Taiwan citizen.[/quote]

Not So… I’m an ROC citizen and my son had to wait the 4 months when he returned from living in Australia. He lives here on his ARC as he has no ROC Nationality.

Secondly my son was born here under the pevious rules where he could not assume ROC nationality, so therefore he cannot be registered on my household registration. He is here sponsored by the fact that I’m his ROC father and therefor thru the family rules… he still had to wait the 4 months…

In anycase I the post may be for a child who is also not an ROC national… or not as the case may be.

It’s a very logical thing. Vannyel will explain the logic for us. He’ll probably say something like this:

“The reason the magical transformation from unworthy of health coverage to worthy of health coverage comes about at four months because…”

[quote=“Dr Doom”]It’s a very logical thing. Vannyel will explain the logic for us. He’ll probably say something like this:

“The reason the magical transformation from unworthy of health coverage to worthy of health coverage comes about at four months because…”[/quote]

And he’ll end it with: “If you don’t like this, I can’t imagine why you’d want to stay here. I lived in Oklhoma once and hated it, so I left.”

[quote=“sandman”][quote=“Dr Doom”]It’s a very logical thing. Vannyel will explain the logic for us. He’ll probably say something like this:

“The reason the magical transformation from unworthy of health coverage to worthy of health coverage comes about at four months because…”[/quote]

And he’ll end it with: “If you don’t like this, I can’t imagine why you’d want to stay here. I lived in Oklhoma once and hated it, so I left.”[/quote]
Actually, I’d say you’re very lucky to get insurance at all! :raspberry:
Every insurance company (in the U.S.) has a very long list of restrictions and if you fail to meet any of them you don’t qualify or you must pay a very high premium. Pre-existing conditions are almost never covered.
But in reality, if someone did ask my opinion, I might say something to the effect of perhaps they want to make sure you’re not on your deathbed when you enter into the health system thereby becoming a drain on the system, ie, terminally ill Vannyel marries nice Taiwanese girl (OMG!!), gets his NHI the next day and checks into NTU for the best care Taiwanese citizens can afford. Not very probable for some but then again, Vannyel might be from some piss poor country with no health care whatsoever.
As for Dr. Doom, I doubt if there is anything NHI can do for his condition. :wink:
Wow, Sandman, I am impressed you remembered…and yes, I did leave because I didn’t like it and when it becomes unbearable for me in Taiwan I will leave too… (I really didn’t want to say this but it seems that every one expects it and how can I let you guys down after we’ve become so close) :smiley:

A child born to a Taiwan parent even if the other parent is a foreigner gets insurance as soon as the parent applies. Furthemore, they have to be listed on the houshold registry and can only leave on a Taiwan passport.

Not So… I’m an ROC citizen and my son had to wait the 4 months when he returned from living in Australia. He lives here on his ARC as he has no ROC Nationality.

Secondly my son was born here under the pevious rules where he could not assume ROC nationality, so therefore he cannot be registered on my household registration. He is here sponsored by the fact that I’m his ROC father and therefor through the family rules… he still had to wait the 4 months…

In anycase I the post may be for a child who is also not an ROC national… or not as the case may be.[/quote]

Obviousely if he’s here on an ARC than the same rules aren’t applied to him as a Taiwan citizen. Our child had NHI 2 days after being born.I’m a foreigner and the mother is Taiwanese.

."[/quote]
, I might say something to the effect of perhaps they want to make sure you’re not on your deathbed when you enter into the health system thereby becoming a drain on the system, ie, terminally ill Vannyel marries nice Taiwanese girl (OMG!!), gets his NHI the next day and checks into NTU for the best care Taiwanese citizens can afford. close) :smiley:[/quote]\

I think you miss the point.If your idea is correct then they would make all engish teachers wait 4 months also. Furthermore, they woldn’t leave this other loophole open which allows me to now get any work a Taiwanese can have and get insurance tomorrow rather then waiting 4 months.