Why no central heating in Taipei?

I was in the 88th floor bar in Taipei 101 today. It’s freezing :cold_face: I was told there’s no heating. How can a building like 101 not have temperature control even if it’s just for 2-3 months ??

6 Likes

You’re expected to dress up like this :

6 Likes

It’s a tropical country… Why would there be central heating?

2 Likes

There’s a bar inside the 101 on the 88th floor? What’s the cost to get in? I hope it’s worth it.

FIFY :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Just saw this. I get the 80-year olds, but how do 40-year olds in New Taipei/Taoyuan die from the temperature last night? It was a bit cold, sure, but I’m surprised relatively young people indoors can die at that temperature…

I’m still wearing shorts and a T-shirt (well, two T-shirts), at least indoors. And although I’ve been wearing a jacket outside recently, 50% of the reason for that is so that Taiwanese people don’t look at me like I’m a freak. :whistle:

4 Likes

Cardiovascular disease. It’s not just for old people anymore. Too many people have bad lifestyles, bad diets, bad whatever…

8 Likes

But wouldn’t people get some warning first, like shivering a hell of a lot, and think to warm themselves up?

Not sure it’s proven that they all died from the cold…

Cold weather is stroke season in Taiwan.

1 Like

Strokes are usually kind of surprise…especially for people who don’t take their health seriously. Every time there’s a sudden temperature drop, the ambulance sirens start up like clockwork and the culling begins. :open_mouth:

3 Likes

Wow, didn’t know that - thanks for clarifying. I might put on a third T-shirt tonight then.

1 Like

If it gets really cold, you can add some socks.

2 Likes

I have central heating in my apartment.

For the same reason the UK and many other European countries don’t have AC. It’s simply not worth it for a week or two of cold weather, or hot weather in Europe’s case.

6 Likes

Concrete buildings get cold no matter you label the country as a tropical country or no. This cold is cold and people can die from it.

1 Like

It’s different with heat. You can easily open windows, have a fan or something else and be comfortable. With cold, either you light a fire or have some other kind of heating.

I’m gonna be honest, often in the summer, opening up the windows does nothing here and is equally hot inside as it is outside.

3 Likes

So do I. Stop bragging. We get it.

2 Likes

How am I bragging? The post asks why there’s no central heating in Taipei. There is. I have it. You have it. Other people I know have it in their homes and offices.

Don’t get your panties in a knot.

1 Like

Have you considered purchasing a down jacket? :thinking: