Why no central heating in Taipei?

The vast majority of us riffraff don’t. It doesn’t really make economic sense for most people.

To be fair, on top of poorly built buildings and culturally poor health, genetics does also play a role. I know plenty of people which lead healthy activr lifestyles and when outside, away from building variables, they are literally shaking to the point i get worried whereas i am wearing sandals and shorts (canadian).

And to be fair, here in the south, i am pretty cold as well. Wearing sweater and socks today…concrete buildings are well know to be absolute shit for temperature control.

Cant businesses plug in a heater or two for the nancys
Come on some people get cold

1 Like

For a $1000 entance fee, im sure they can plug in someyhing for you.

Someone I know is trying to push for ICF (insulated concrete form) in Taiwan.

The benefit is that it has the benefit of concrete, but saves on labor (I keep hearing about a labor shortage here), and the left in place foam bricks offers superior insulation.

Oh great, so then it gets to be 50°C as the heat gets trapped inside and everyone runs the AC browning out the power plant.

Socks, long pants, and a long sleeved shirt do the trick fine. Maybe a sweater on the coldest of days, which is still well above freezing in Taipei. I occasionally use an electric space heater, but that seems more like a luxury to me than a necessity. Central heat would be complete overkill for me here.

3 Likes

I thought the insulation would keep the heat out?

And then there’s duct maintenance.

All temperatures eventually hit equilibrium. The Dinky AC is not going to be a match against the sun. The Australians build with heat dissipation and passive cooling.

Insulation keeps heat in, you’re gonna have a sweaty night. Insulation is for cold climates.

Yeah sure. But it’s still very uncomfortable. At the moment we have to use a heater at home.

The bar was icy cold. Everyone in the group was wearing a jacket and still cold. How exactly is that acceptable for businesses in a place like 101? A corner fireplace there would have been awesome.

I guess certain people growing up in cold countries are used to it and you don’t feel it as much. But I do and it’s brrrr :cold_face: an ambient room temperature of 18°C even below may may comfortable to some. Definitely not me

1 Like

Oh we feel it for sure cause it’s inside. In temperate parts of Canada with hot summers and cold winters, they have both AC and heating. They just set the thermostat to one temperature and the machine does its work year round. You always come home to the same temperature.

The one thing as a cold-climate-person I don’t like about central heating and AC is the cost of operation. It’s expensive.

My floors are cold, fortunately a space heater can heat up a room to 20s while leaving the other ones cold, saving money because unlike central heating, it’s not heating up empty rooms with nobody inside to…enjoy the heat.

My hydro bill is nothing compared to what my mum pays because central heating sends heat to EVERY room. Even my AC. I only use it in one room and keep the others off.

In my opinion, central heating and cooling is inefficient and a cost sink for little additional utility.

You added this later into the post. It’s like I mentioned above. It avoids wasting heat on unused rooms. And a real fireplace would be a hazard in an office building. Maybe electric, I dunno. Most places outdoors have those fire umbrellas (I dunno what they’re called)

1 Like

Patio heaters.

Yep. I’ve got them, so I can sit outside and enjoy the fresh air but not feel cold.

Patio Heater

2 Likes

I’m still stickin with fire umbrellas. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Those actually exist, too. But, they are truly umbrellas. Pretty neat.

Just be very careful!

2 Likes

Nice…

Oh yea, gotta get me a Colin Furze edition.

1 Like

1 Like

If we make it electric, it becomes street legal in Taipei without a licence.

1 Like

Weird indeed. I had lunch at a pasta place not too fancy and it had heat on. Heck, Luca posted his selling tacos at Crafted and they had the heat up to 30.

I woke up to crank up the heater. I am wearing cap and gloves to bed. Had my tuna powered heaters on top but I sneezed and they scrambled.

Mine are sitting in front of the heater the whole of yesterday

3 Likes