Why not start our own chain school?

Since there are so many talented and dedicated forumosan teachers, I think it would be a good idea to start our own franchise. Here are a list of positive reasons why we could:

1. We already know each other well enough because of our daily posting.
  2. Communication, which is so important, will therefore not be a huge problem.
  3. The time we use posting could be used more constructively.
  4. Instead of working for other people, we could work for ourselves.
  5. Since we all work at different schools under different conditions, we know what works and what doesn’t.
  6. Those of us with Taiwanese spouses, if they we interested in joining the business, would be able to fill the communication gap.
  7. You don’t necessarily have to give up your current job.
  8. We have different useful talents.
  9. We can start small and gradually expand our business.
  10. Not only teachers, but any poster may invest his/her money/talents.
  11. We could write our own series of text books.
  12. Those of us who already own or manage schools, can give the vital input we need to get the project off the ground.
  13. There is no rush. We can discuss the topic through and through, before taking any action.

Before we start thinking of he negatives, let’s focus on how it could work. You could do yourself a huge favor by doing so.

AAF I suggested to my Chinese teacher that he collaborate with some Forumosans to put a text book together. Being Taiwanese he is missing the Western teaching methods and probably has never seen a quality text book but he is very openminded, quite entrepreneurial and already teaches Chinese. If you are interested in taking a slightly smaller step than setting up a school then PM and I’ll hook you up.

Nice idea, but not very practical. In the end we’d end up like a rock band, divided up over different ideals and goals.

It would take an exceptional vision to be able to accomplish this. Anything less would end in a spectacular failure.

[quote=“R. Daneel Olivaw”]Nice idea, but not very practical. In the end we’d end up like a rock band, divided up over different ideals and goals.

It would take an exceptional vision to be able to accomplish this. Anything less would end in a spectacular failure.[/quote]

so we would get groupies? awesome.

[quote=“R. Daneel Olivaw”]Nice idea, but not very practical. In the end we’d end up like a rock band, divided up over different ideals and goals.

It would take an exceptional vision to be able to accomplish this. Anything less would end in a spectacular failure.[/quote]

Since there is no rush to get it done, we could iron out all potential problems before they occur. I think it’s important to keep a positive attitude and to be able to dream. Attitudes can be adjusted.

i can’t even get you guys together for one night to play a show and you wanna start an english school.

foriegners in taiwan: always me me me. how can we all get together?

i’d be interested in your school though.

I think a more logical first step would be the formation of a foreign-owned buxiban association (F.O.B.A.). Teaching styles and quality would vary from school to school, but if a Taiwanese parent or foreign teacher wanted to know where in their neighborhood to go for this kind of school, such an association might be useful. Maybe.

As well as the potential problem I hinted at in the now locked thread of the same name…
To open a new cram school these days would be commercial suicide. How many schools are there now? Also Taiwan has one of the lowest birth rates in the world. Not enough kids are being born to replace the current crop of students. In the next 5 years all those crap teachers are going to have to find new employment or go back to customer service jobs back home, there will simply be too many schools and not enough students. Combine that with the fact that the economy is pretty bad here these days… I ask the question…

How would a new chain school be viable?

That could be the first step in the process. All they have to do initially is to subscribe to certain standards and practices which they could establish themselves. Obviously, being part of a group tends to inhibit one’s freedom, but there are benefits too. The benefits I can think of are:

1. sharing training facilities

2. sharing resources (human resources, vehicles, venues, buying in bulk)

3. not merely cooperating(2+2=4), but synergising (2x2=4)
    An example of synergy is using a certain teacher who has a very well-developed skill in different buxibans. You could have a teacher who specializes in teaching phonics, for instance or one that refines the students’ pronounciation.

4. sharing ideas

5. just the fact that it would be foreign-owned would boost it’s image

6. Milltownkid could be in charge of security. :slight_smile:

7. Sandman could compose some songs for the schools.

8. Belgianpie could set up a menu.

9. Joesax could be in charge of transport.

So, were depending on fellows like jdsmith and others to lead the way.

[quote=“AAF”]That could be the first step in the process. All they have to do initially is to subscribe to certain standards and practices which they could establish themselves. Obviously, being part of a group tends to inhibit one’s freedom, but there are benefits too. The benefits I can think of are:

1. sharing training facilities

2. sharing resources (human resources, vehicles, venues, buying in bulk)

3. not merely cooperating(2+2=4), but synergising (2x2=4)
    An example of synergy is using a certain teacher who has a very well-developed skill in different buxibans. You could have a teacher who specializes in teaching phonics, for instance or one that refines the students’ pronounciation.

4. sharing ideas

5. just the fact that it would be foreign-owned would boost it’s image

6. Milltownkid could be in charge of security. :slight_smile:

7. Sandman could compose some songs for the schools.

8. Belgianpie could set up a menu.

9. Joesax could be in charge of transport.

[/quote]

1. We conveniently dodge funk500’s question

[quote=“AAF”]

1. not merely cooperating(2+2=4), but synergising (2x2=4)[/quote]

Erm… I thought the very definition of synergy was that 2+2 would equal 5 (so to speak).

Hi funk5000. I do understand that it isn’t as simple as it sounds, but as I said in my initial post, let’s focus on how it could work. Almost everything sounds impossible at first. A few decades ago it was impossible to go to the moon. I don’t think the Americans who planned the mission concentrated on why it wasn’t possible, but how to overcome known obstacles. By the way do you know what he birth rate of Taiwan is? It is difficult to believe that it has a low birth rate. Almost every second woman I see is pregnant.

[quote=“irishstu”][quote=“AAF”]

Erm… I thought the very definition of synergy was that 2+2 would equal 5 (so to speak).[/quote]

When two forces work synergistically they can have different outcomes. When two people get married they can have two kids, three kids, fourteen kids, etc. (1+1=2, 1+1=3, 1+1=14)

[quote=“AAF”][quote=“irishstu”][quote=“AAF”]

Erm… I thought the very definition of synergy was that 2+2 would equal 5 (so to speak).[/quote]

When two forces work synergistically they can have different outcomes. When two people get married they can have two kids, three kids, fourteen kids, etc. (1+1=2, 1+1=3, 1+1=14)[/quote]

OK, but I still don’t get your formula…

Anyway, doesn’t matter.

Methinks there is more chance of a Forumosa Happy Hour happening on the moon than there is of you synergising the egos on this web site into any form of co-operative…

I don’t think there is a specific formula.

According to Wikipedia:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synergy

The effect of synergy is anything but predictable.
Examples of synergy could work in Taiwan is placing juice bars next to fried chicken vendors. Alone each could attract 10 people an hour, but together they could attract 30 to 40 people an hour. The most important things is that they will definitely attract more than the expected 20 people an hour. I’ll search for proven examples of synegy and add them to this post.

[quote=“AAF”]I don’t think there is a specific formula.

According to Wikipedia:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synergy

The effect of synergy is anything but predictable.
Examples of synergy could work in Taiwan is placing juice bars next to fried chicken vendors. Alone each could attract 10 people an hour, but together they could attract 30 to 40 people an hour. The most important things is that they will definitely attract more than the expected 20 people an hour. I’ll search for proven examples of synegy and add them to this post.[/quote]

Thanks. Emphasis on the word “greater”. Hence my 2+2=5 statement. Anyway this is going way off-topic. Sorry. Carry on please.

Methinks there is more chance of a Forumosa Happy Hour happening on the moon than there is of you synergising the egos on this web site into any form of co-operative…[/quote]

Endeavor to persevere, Roach! Endeavor to persevere!

english.people.com.cn/200603/06/ … 48158.html
taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/ … 2003297088

Well, Taiwan doesn’t have THE lowest birthrate in the world. But still…
taiwan.com.au/Soccul/People/ … 60306.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Taiwan

The effect on the education system is already being felt.
taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/ … 2003295964

You need to take into account declining birthrates and the amount of competition that would result from that. How are you going to make your school offer quality instruction at an affordable price–and still make enough money that it’s worth the headache of starting it up in the first place?

[quote=“irishstu”]
Thanks. Emphasis on the word “greater”. Hence my 2+2=5 statement. Anyway this is going way off-topic. Sorry. Carry on please.[/quote]

The opposite of synergy, according to the wikipedia link above, is antagonism. Up to now I’ve really only thought about the benefits of synergy, but there are cases where 2+2=3 (or less).