Why on earth does anyone need a gym membership

I laughed so hard at this. Had to log in and tell you how this just made my day.

OP is being a troll. I don’t have a gym membership but I work out daily. I also bike and swim. Being in a gym atmosphere motivates me when there are no couches or snacks nearby. But that’d just me.[/quote]

I completely overlooked this earlier post. Well played sir, well played.

Again I guess it’s possible that the things you’ve said here are meant to be serious, so at the risk of feeding the somewhat obvious troll I’ll bite…

In case you didn’t know this, muscle burns calories. So a great way to lose fat and maintain your health in the long run is to put on some muscle mass. If you have more muscle, your body will burn more calories throughout the day even when you aren’t working out. It also happens to be a great way to stay fit into old age and keep your joints healthy and fully functional so kind of a win win there. I’m not talking about becoming a meat head or anything, just lifting a couple times a week for overall strength, fitness, and weight loss.

As far as the gym goes, well that seems fairly obvious. If a person wants to build more muscle, where the hell else are they going to go? Oh yeah, kettle bells at home :unamused:

Bottom line, the gym has more equipment, more variety to keep you interested and motivated, and it’s also more social. Gym membership is kind of a no brainer…

Let’s face it, the whole muscle-bound look is kind of passe. Don’t get me wrong, fit is good. Muscle definition is good. But lifting weights just to develop muscles you don’t need and can’t actually use except to lift more weights? Don’t get it.

No, you are wrong. There are plenty of muscle heads out there in the world.

No, you are wrong. There are plenty of muscle heads out there in the world.[/quote]
But what about in Birmingham ,SK :slight_smile: ?

No, you are wrong. There are plenty of muscle heads out there in the world.[/quote]

That doesn’t mean it is not passe.

Plenty of guys with mullets. Spice Girl fans. Latte drinkers.

I laughed so hard at this. Had to log in and tell you how this just made my day.

OP is being a troll. I don’t have a gym membership but I work out daily. I also bike and swim. Being in a gym atmosphere motivates me when there are no couches or snacks nearby. But that’d just me.[/quote]

And you couldn’t look any finer, in one raccoon’s opinion. :lick:

Plenty of guys with mullets. Spice Girl fans. Latte drinkers.[/quote]

Trolling is still en vogue though.

Gyms have more than just weights. In some cases, they also have swimming pools, basketball courts, racquetball courts, etc. It’s convenient to have all of those different exercise options under one roof, so it’s not difficult to see why someone would like a gym membership. I used to have a gym membership, but the only thing I used it for was swimming and occasionally jogging on the inside track. Since jogging is my preferred method of exercise, it’s far easier to just step out of my house and jog around my neighborhood than pack my gear, drive 20 miles to the gym, change clothes, exercise, shower, dress, and drive 20 miles back. I do miss swimming, but it generally isn’t worth the hassle and expense.

Trolling is still en vogue though.[/quote]

I need to check with my friends who type with their thumbs.

OP is right. You don’t need a gym on earth. Gravity is enough to build good muscle. But you would need a gym on the moon or mars.

I need to check with my friends who type with their thumbs.[/quote]

:smiley: Nice one.

Chai soya lattes is totally where its at tho’…

…but yeah 10 years ago I’d look at a muscle head in envy, now I just look at them in pity.

Mind you show me a well-turned calf muscle and my eyes light up.

I need to check with my friends who type with their thumbs.[/quote]

:smiley: Nice one.[/quote]

Dear Mr. superking,
Speaking of which, your personal website, the one featuring numerous hi-res shots of your sleek, muscle-knotted, sweat-sheened runner’s buttocks, has, for the third time in a row, rejected my Member payment.
Please see to this at your earliest possible opportunity.
Yours,
R

You need a membership for getting cheaper prices at the gym.

[quote=“Rocket”]

Dear Mr. superking,
Speaking of which, your personal website, the one featuring numerous hi-res shots of your sleek, muscle-knotted, sweat-sheened runner’s buttocks, has, for the third time in a row, rejected my Member payment.
Yours,
R[/quote]

Dear R,

Thank you for your feedback. I have found your rejected application and reset the system. You may now enter your payment again. As an apology, please enter the code shinypanted into the voucher box for a 20% discount.
There will be some new pictures of me enjoying a hot beverage on a London Midland train uploaded later today.

Yours,

The king of all that is super.

[quote=“superking”][quote=“Rocket”]

Dear Mr. superking,
Yours,
R[/quote]

Dear R,

Thank you for your feedback. I have found your rejected application and reset the system. You may now enter your payment again. As an apology, please enter the code shinypanted into the voucher box for a 20% discount.
There will be some new pictures of me enjoying a hot beverage on a London Midland train uploaded later today.

Yours,

The king of all that is super.[/quote]

Ta.
Off to pick up a fresh 2L jar of Pond’s Velvet Touch. :thumbsup:

I’m an exercise addict and will tell you the sole reason we go to sweaty, crowded gyms rather than workout at home. It’s to enjoy the free eye candy and show off all our hard work. Just like peacocks strutting their stuff… humans are no different. We’re all posers there. Vanity wins

I go to a gym so I can drop weights on a padded floor and because they have equipment that’s too bulky to own (e.g., squat rack, platform, Olympic-style weight plates).

2 Likes

2 Likes