Why so many Taiwan songs are about breaking up?

Have you noticed that many popular songs that local people listen to in their cars and sing in karaoke bars when they hang out are about breaking up? Back in a day, when I lived in Taiwan and visited a karaoke bar with my girl, I wondered why people enjoy visiting such places with their closed ones and sing so many songs about breaking up.

2 Likes

That’s not Taiwanese love songs only, a lot of love songs in English (and that people love to sing too!) are about breaking up: “Love of my life” - Queen, “Babe I’m gonna leave you” - Led Zeppelin, “Someone like you” - Adele, and the list goes on

5 Likes

Taylor swift made a very lucrative career singing about only breakups and almost nothing else (ok occasionally unrequited love I guess)

2 Likes

You mean you don’t count Taylor Swift going “Woah oh, I’ll never ever never ever… love together”

Trying to find a men’s song in Taiwan that is not
effeminate or ends in the guy nearly crying voice faltering is difficult

Seems like almost every song by male singer ends the same way

It’s why I love the 2 Live Crew
The 2 Live Crew - Face Down Ass Up - YouTube

2 Likes

There should definitely be more songs about hatred, spite, and revenge in all languages.

Because breaking up == new beginning.

I am a glass half full kind of guy when it comes to relationships.

1 Like

I’m a glass is too big kind of guy if it was half full or whatever.

That’s a funny one :rofl:
I don’t know if its related to their origin culture, that hokkien and 閩南 people love to victimize themselves, even the 閩南 dramas are full of crying, shouting, fighting and all kinds of stupid stuff.
Most taiwanese old pop songs are crappy, only some are good. Anyway most Taiwanese NPCs have bad taste in music, that’s why most Taiwanese underrated musicians are often neglected.

I prefer songs about lewd acts