Why temp the foam threads?

Why are all the foam threads being temped?

Just a guess, but could it be because they’re light and airy, expanding to fill all available room, and without substance?

I reckon IrishStu did it, he’s never liked foam.

Because while daft fairytales for ignorant peasants are valid topics for “discussion,” something as crucial to the future of mankind as foam is not. This is the flob.

Maybe there’s a case for starting a new site, called Flob or Foam or whatever. That could contain all the “fun” discussions including those in Open and the religion and politics forums.

Then the original Forumosa could stick to what it’s done so well over the last few years - providing a base for some really useful sharing of information. It would probably continue to have the same mostly courteous tone that the more information-based sections have now. That would be nice.

If people felt they wanted to be ridiculed and get in fights with others they could go over to Flob/Foam.

They’re not. You’re only imagining that they’re being temped.

You have GOT to be joking! Splurted cappucino foam on the monitor!

You have GOT to be joking! Splurted cappucino foam on the monitor![/quote]Not joking at all. Forumosa has provided some really useful information to me and lots of other people I know over the years, and continues to do so. And I find the tone in the more information-based forums to be quite courteous most of the time. I like that. I like the fact that someone can ask what might not seem to be a terribly well-thought-out question, but they’ll still get at least a few people trying to help out. I like that kind of atmosphere much better than one in which people are constantly ridiculing others and picking fights.

Foam will eventually vanish … so do the threads about foam

Great. Both of you have fun, then…

I have learned absolutely nothing from forumosa. All I have ever got is smart-arsed/well intentioned googling, when I’ve asked a Q.

It’s kind of funny, sometimes, but that’s about it.

If the other stuff didn’t exist, then there would be considerably less traffic, so flob the newb-rectory wouldn’t exist. It’s the price you pay.

It is the banter that keeps this place alive. If a separate ‘foam’ site existed this site would die on its arse pretty quickly, imho. Think… TaiwanHo (tumbleweed rolls passed.)

I also think this foam stuff is getting temped for some unearthly reason… unless there is a real difference between ‘man fucks bench,’ and ‘I love foam…’ that I just don’t get.

You got some OK information on one or two of the tech threads, didn’t you, Buttercup?

[quote=“Buttercup”]If the other stuff didn’t exist, then there would be considerably less traffic, so flob the newb-rectory wouldn’t exist. It’s the price you pay.[/quote]You might be right. I’m not sure. I don’t actually get the feeling that most of the newcomers asking for information have been following the threads in the Open, Temp, TP, or IP forums. I think they get here due to Forumosa’s decent rating on search engines, which partly comes from other sites linking here and saying that this is a good place to get information.

[quote=“TomHill”]It is the banter that keeps this place alive. If a separate ‘foam’ site existed this site would die on its arse pretty quickly, imho. Think… TaiwanHo (tumbleweed rolls passed.)[/quote]Yeah, banter’s good. It’s the uncivil stuff that gets me down.

Anyway, like most of the arguments here, this is pretty pointless. I’m sure the tone on Forumosa’s not going to change substantially, and the only way for me to make myself feel better about it is to use the site less, and concentrate on the more civil and informative bits when I do use it.

No, nothing that ever worked. I get my tech help from an ex-flobber who quit in disgust after being ‘suspended’ for calling one of the mods/ex-mods a retard, when he was being a retard, a real life friend. The problem with ‘advice’ on flob is that for the large part, the only people who post are people who don’t need to work at work.

No, nothing that ever worked.[/quote]Fair enough. As I said, I know lots of people who’ve been helped with real-life stuff through information on Forumosa. And I can’t count the times I’ve personally found useful stuff here.

I just don’t like the fact that I always seem to get sucked into reading threads where people are being thoroughly unpleasant to each other. I wish there was an “Ignore this forum” button.

I have received help and advice in many ways on Forumosa and I’ve also been dragged in the mud for asking simple questions once in a while. That’s rare, though. Usually, I get good answers and even help that translates IRL.

Joesax is dead on the money, once again.

marboulette

[quote=“Buttercup”] I get my tech help from an ex-flobber who quit in disgust after being ‘suspended’ for calling one of the mods/ex-mods a retard, when he was being a retard, a real life friend.
[/quote]

Come on, Fred S. doesn’t even know how to turn on a computer. A koala maybe, but not a computer.

The truth is always in the middle.
Are the forums on this site half full or half empty…?
Cazart!

[quote=“Buttercup”]No, nothing that ever worked. I get my tech help from an ex-flobber who quit in disgust after being ‘suspended’ for calling one of the mods/ex-mods a retard[/quote]Why is it ok to call someone a retard? Would you call me a retard because it seems by some definitions I am? How about a spastic? Or a mong? I’ve never even said “That’s gay” because I can see why some people could be upset by it.

wtf is a mong?

No, nothing that ever worked.[/quote]

Fair enough. As I said, I know lots of people who’ve been helped with real-life stuff through information on Forumosa. And I can’t count the times I’ve personally found useful stuff here.[/quote]

Completely agree. There is a vast amount of very knowledgeable people lurking behind some of these strange posts. People that are often extremely generous with their knowledge and experience.

Anyway, why the fuck am I buying into this moaning AGAIN?

HG