Why the big fuss over the suicide comedian guy? (Ni Min-jan)

[quote=“asiababy”]Cola,

I haven’t really been following the English media’s coverage on this story, so I don’t know if they reported Ni’s battle with depression, and the fact he had another suicide attempt two years ago, which was not made public at the time.

I’m not condoning affairs and I don’t really fully understand his relationship situation so I make no judgement, but my understanding is that people who have affairs and lose property to their girlfriend usually cope and come through, and if people commit suicide they usually have some more deeply-rooted mental-health problem. Do you think it’s fair for us to say simply:

[quote]21p wrote:
Old talentless coward with young family commits suicide after being dumped by mistress. [/quote]

.[/quote]

Now that you explain it, yes, you are right, it was not fair to characterize Mr Ni as “old talentless coward with …etc etc”

I didn’t know about suicide attempt two years ago, or long battle with depression. Yes, you are right, this calls for restraint in how we portray someone we don’t even know. Thanks for your notes above. Good on ya, mate!

[quote=“Namahottie”][quote=“Ric Flair”]

I don’t feel sorry for this Ni cretin. He copped out to “save face.” :loco:
[/quote]

How do you exactly save face ?[/quote]

In Taiwan that means:

NEVER admitting you’re wrong at any time, ESPECIALLY when you really are at fault.

It also means: dodge responsibility for the shitstorms you create.

Ni did a good job of that, judging by all the pity he gets in the media.

They overstated his signifigance.

Ni was no Shi Bu Liao.

Ask your in-laws about the late Shi Bu Liao (aka Hsih Bu-liao).

THAT was Taiwan’s Chaplin.

Ni was more like a combination of Fred Travelina and the bumble bee guy from the Simpsons with Eddie Murphy’s track record for bad relationships and Freddie Prinze Sr.'s ultimate career retirement move.

Ric Flair,

Thanks for another name in Taiwan’s entertainment history (Shi Bu Liao). I guess you know all about him, but I will share what I found out. He is also considered a great comedian, and was also very popular, and won some entertainment awards for his performances. He made many films. Because he was Taiwanese and there were only 3, govt-run, stations he didn’t get TV airtime. He often portrayed homeless or otherwise unlucky people. He drank an awful lot and dabbled in drugs and died young from lung damage.

BTW, are these kinds of old performances available on VCD or DVD here?

[quote=“asiababy”]Ric Flair,

Thanks for another name in Taiwan’s entertainment history (Shi Bu Liao). I guess you know all about him, but I will share what I found out. He is also considered a great comedian, and was also very popular, and won some entertainment awards for his performances. He made many films. Because he was Taiwanese and there were only 3, govt-run, stations he didn’t get TV airtime. He often portrayed homeless or otherwise unlucky people. He drank an awful lot and dabbled in drugs and died young from lung damage.

BTW, are these kinds of old performances available on VCD or DVD here?[/quote]

Hsih actually died from Cancer. I am not sure who fabricated the drug horseshit but I’m sure it was Taiwan media.

Yeah, Hsih died penniless. Had a thing for gambling. Like something out of one of his films - when he died, the celebs who made donations wanted their money back. No joke, though.

Hsih’s fims pop up on cable when everyone is asleep. Taiwanese don’t respect Taiwanese films, so they show them at ghetto hours when they are on tv.

A couple may be on VCD, but I don’t buy VCDs anymore so I couldn’t tell you which ones.

I think Hsia Yi’s little performance performance at CKS will be the one by which she’s remembered, and probably marks the end of her career here.
Better luck with that attitude back home in Shanghai. :noway:

[quote=“hsiadogah”]I think Hsia Yi’s little performance performance at CKS will be the one by which she’s remembered, and probably marks the end of her career here.
Better luck with that attitude back home in Shanghai. :noway:[/quote]

Yeh, what is going on with Hsia Yi today, too? She is crying all day on TV again, and can you xplain it all to us? Who are all the players and what’s going on? And when does this little drama end?

Hahaha. Obviously her agent has been coaching her on what kind of act the Taiwanese audience likes. The arrogance at the airport and anger at the press conference (Sunday) went down like a pork chop in a synogogue, so there were threats from all quarters that no-one would ever again take the stage with her. Her TV ads were pulled and it was looking like her ‘career’ in Taiwan would be over. They dug up all her lies about winning drama awards, then when she backed off those claims to just being nominated they caught her again. More lies and half-truths than the politicians themselves. Of course TV has had her airport scene tape on repeat mode almost 24/7. So today she comes up crying and sorry and all is apparently forgiven. We’ll see if the reporters have lost the scent of blood, or if they’ll keep digging for evidence of her relationship with Ni, which she still won’t either confirm or deny.
Good lessons here for how to get your way folks. Paisay Paisay wins the hearts and minds…

<-- honestly doesn’t give a rats about this, but wife has the remote… :blush:

I’m rooting for Shia Yi. Ni’s “supposed buddies” in entertainment are trying to cover their guilt by blaming everything on her, I think.

Go Shia Yi go!

[quote=“914”]I’m rooting for Shia Yi. Ni’s “supposed buddies” in entertainment are trying to cover their guilt by blaming everything on her, I think.
[/quote]

Such is the Taiwanese way. Save face: blame game.

I just wish someone would knock that goddamned wig off that Tia yue singing bozo. I forgot his name at the moment. He’s on tv all of the time. Goddamn horrible wig.

Like Ni, his cronies are phonies.

Wowow, I didn’t the coverage on Ni in Taiwan is that big. Well, in US, TVBS have nothing to report about the news in Taiwan except this topic. I too wonder why the media coverage so much about it.

I think its because of the mistress issue, suicide, and it’s an entertainment for the people…

oh well. :notworthy:

Famous guy on second marriage has fling with mainland chick, kills himself, leaves young family. Also rights to recent play are currently being fought over after he signed them over to his mistress.

Issues close to everyone’s heart. The papers have it that it’s the mainland actress’ fault for leading him astray in order to steal his money and take over the world. Or something. Pandering to the prejudices of the groundlings sells papers.

Celebrity world queuing up to lambast Xia Wei (the mistress) and console family. Some appear to have defected to the Xia Wei camp however after her dramatic apology yesterday.

Hey, it’s the summer. The stock market’s on holiday. What else is there? A few jumpers, the usual kiddy rapes, and the same-old same-old knife attacks down south. Great journo fodder for the Silly Season.

I’m addicted. I’m a Xia Wei supporter BTW, even though she’s not that attractive and I can’t see what all the fuss is about (mind you he’s no oil painting either).

Saddest thing about all this is the poor old tree got chopped down. And then set alight. Someone blames the tree I guess.

[quote=“21p”]
Saddest thing about all this is the poor old tree got chopped down. And then set alight. Someone blames the tree I guess.[/quote]

Only in Taiwanville. Love it!

The tree! The tree!

[quote=“MiakaW”]Wowow, I didn’t the coverage on Ni in Taiwan is that big. Well, in US, TVBS have nothing to report about the news in Taiwan except this topic. I too wonder why the media coverage so much about it.

I think its because of the mistress issue, suicide, and it’s an entertainment for the people…

oh well. :notworthy:[/quote]

I think it’s because many adults in Taiwan have fuckall else to do. Many seem to think learning stops after Uni, and outside of Mahjong or playing games - they only have that (former) cathode ray of hope to keep them warm at night as they bury their life’s problems in a false blanket of resolve that, “hey that famous guy done got his ass in trouble and off’d 'emself. HA HA.”

Taiwan media - maybe the only world media that makes Al Jazeera and American television news seem almost (as in a 1:1,000,000,000 ratio) legitimate and unbiased and humane.

Now she is on a plane to Singapore. What is going on with her?

And today the news is that Tien Yu, Ni’s pal in deception/loan$, was hospitalized Friday due to panic attack and exhaustian, was released at 4 am back to family. Seems a broken man, now, too.

What exactly was Ni all about?

[and can someone explain why former “model” and Hong Kong starlet (from Taiwan, originally) Shu Qi’s breasts are hanging out of the Star Entertainment paper today? just NT$5 at the local Seven…