Why the dearth of Taichung posts?

Taichung is great if you can actually live in the city area where everything is, instead of on the outskirts

[parts of] Taichung is looking better these days with the actual sidewalk on Wenxin Rd. having been redone to accompany the MRT line (like actual sidewalks you can walk on not parking spots for scooters).

Downtown is looking nicer with the open courtyard area by the old station leading up into the new station and the restoration project turning the benjo ditches into a little walkway area.

I went there once and decided to never to go back. This was 20 years ago and I have no reason to change my mind.

2 Likes

Guess we dodged a bullet there , then :grinning::yum: It’s a lot different now Sir

1 Like

It was already fairly dead by then, it was an act of mercy :).

Reporting from Taichung right now…Surviving . 7-11 beer tastes the same. Sunshine alone was worth it.

The place is looking better over the last few years . It’s a bit of a balancing act because too much development and you’ll get a mini Taipei and that wouldn’t be good.

1 Like

Yes, compared to Taipei weather, Taichung weather is fabulous! Too bad about the air pollution.

1 Like

Weren’t you like 8 then?

3 Likes

Still waiting for mine…:wink:

Perhaps it’s a Taiwan thing and not just Taichung , but there seems to be a limited option on hairdressers here. Unless you want to look like
A. A Korean Boy Band member
B. A Monk

This style is not great with a suit :worried:

Says who?

1 Like

Closer than you would think :wink:

You Scots all look the same. :sunglasses:

I am thoroughly English …with a bit of French/Hungarian thrown in . lived in Scotland sometimes but …:worried:

You Brits all look the same. :grin:

1 Like

BRITISH

I may have agreed…until after the Wales/England Rugby…:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

The Roman’s would have agreed with you too, they didn’t mess with Wales either

1 Like

Lived in the Chungle in 2003-2005. It was bloody awesome for a young 20-something.

Excellent restaurants, the Sound Garden and Pig Pen, and some real gangster night clubs.

Oh, and I also made it to work occasionally, to pay for the beer and k.

The girls were all over the show too.

Went back in 2011 for a trip (and very nearly got married) - was bored senesless, had more fun on the east coast and Kenting.

3 Likes

It was probably because Taichung was where I met my first wife and those ten months there was absolutely magical. This was the 80s

Taichung had a great vibe then. They had all these incredible theme cafes. The Duke with its live music at times. The improbably named Pompidou with its sliding roof that opens to reveal the stars and its artificial stream underfloor under the acrylic seethroughfloor.

It was just so fun so many cool places and sexy girls everywhere much friendlier than in Taipei
The weather was awesome, not all the bloody rain in Taipei.

It was an incredible time for an under 30 tommy

An I don’t remember the pollution being bad
It was better than ktown and ktown wasn’t bad

Now u have all the bad air from an industrializing China

2 Likes