Why Wages in Taiwan are So Low

Yeah it’s almost exactly the same. It’s the video in written form basically

Sure but how many make below minimum wage? I also love the other girl paying half her income to insurance and complaining about no savings. She is either pure stupid or that is life insurance or some such in which case that’s same as saving.

I’m not sure but insurance here is comprehensive. Like includes life, health (anything nhi leaves out) accident and a bunch of stuff. But I have no idea what insurance it is because it certainly doesn’t cost half someone’s income. I think there’s an investment or savings component in it.

From 1978 to 1988, the average annual wage growth rate was over 12 per cent, said Lee Chien-hung, a professor in the Chinese Culture University’s department of labour and human resources.

“I refer to this as the golden era of wage growth in Taiwan’s post-war history,” he said.

Interesting article. Nostalgia for CCK. :laughing: :laughing: :clown_face:

1 Like

I watched the video and loosely my takeaway was… 1 worked full time but managed to do 2 other jobs… Doesnt sound fulltime… And was making close to 40k and living at home… Not so bad for someone who wanted to go into film… (thats just a bad idea for a career in Taiwan, like been a musician, slim chances to do well).

Another spent half her income on insurance? Wtf?

And the other… A bit more of a go getter, but still trying to be a consultant. Helping foreigners… Yeah. No. Not the best idea. Limited clients and if i had a dollar for every person i met that is a consultant i could buy lunchboxes for my whole company.

Maybe i mis-remember the facts of the video and someone will say but /LoW sAlarIes/.

I was once told… Money is there… Its everywhere… And people want to spend it. (this was Zain D. Ironically he was right about that.)
Often the people complaining about bosses want to be their own boss… This is like a Taiwanese dream. Be a boss. Well we cant all be bosses… Or famous film directors.

I have seen kitchen jobs paying 40k a month. 8 days off. Not easy but not the worst and yet there is at least one regular poster that complains its not fair then constantly posts about the cheapest 80nt lunchbox he can buy, discordant expectations.
Same poster claims he was offered 60k per month to be a butcher but it was /tOo hArd/ cry me a river.

I started my business, i created a niche market and a need, was an original idea and i had to graft hard for 5 years. Teaching and working late nights.

But, you know what? After a short time, it wasnt hard, i adapted and became “work fit” (yes that is a thing, often takes between 2 weeks to 3 months) Now i have clients coming to me with budgets of 30k… Agonising over every cost, and clients with budgets of 200k+ and easy to deal with. guess which clients are successful? Guess who they prefer to complete their projects on time and in budget regardless of hurdles?

As i said… But /LoW sAlariEs/ well grandma lives in the mountains and farms everyday… Shes very happy. I have never ever heard her utter one word of entitlement.

2 Likes

Complaining about low salaries doesn’t mean somebody is entitled. These two things simply aren’t connected.

Congratulations you are making some money are you going to come back with another moralistic lesson when one day you lose money? Don’t confuse making or having money with being right or being entitled to lecture other people you don’t know.

Also I really don’t get the point about the folks with bigger budgets being easier…that is simply a random thing.

5 Likes

often clients with reasonable budgets just want to get the job done, it speaks to their mindset. Its not a random thing it leans that way for sure. 200k for a business expense isnt alot and after tax and costs, i wouldn’t normally make so much at all from such a deal.

i know a lot of people that dont make much in their business and they are highly stressed.

and no, i still dont really make that much money, for example this weekend, i taught English on friday morning, then i worked to 4.30am saturday, after that i slept and then went to Taichung and worked another shift to 4.30am Sunday.

i could have got a hotel but just went straight to the train and waited for the first train outside, because this saved me 1400nt on hotels, its not fun.

so this 48 hr marathon netted me about 11,000nt. not a lot but i think its ok. extrapolate this and you will realise i work pretty hard and make not a lot per month, often some staff make more than me, but im thankful.

i did it by myself becuase i cant pay a worker 4k for the night in this case.
This client has given me some big budgets so i dont mind grafting for them.

so dont confuse moralistic lessons with me been wealthy, im not… i just work hard and get respected for that, clients prefer me for my value, i prefer staff for their value. Not everyone wins in life, the sooner it is understood the sooner you will be happy and do “well”.

1 Like

Your body will let you know if that was worth 11k. Every single living cell on earth lives on a 24 hour cycle and needs to get sufficient sleep to function. Working random odd hours will kill you in the end.

You work hard and get respected for that while others work hard and they don’t get respected. If everyone was off getting clients that respect them or whatever, who’s doing food delivery? Who’s transporting food from the mountains into the city for us to eat? Who’s working at Seven so you can run in and pay your gas bill? It is so very very problematic when people say “I work hard” and imply that others who work hard and dont make a load a money are stupid, as opposed to being taken advantage of by a system that is inherently designed to create people who “have” and people “will never have”.

5 Likes

I’ve stayed up for 36 hours before, mainly due to insomnia and stuff. My body feels like utter shit at the last 12 hour, and even worked a few Walmart shifts in that state. No my body did not like it. I did it just yesterday and I felt like utter shit, like want to throw up at the slightest movement and stuff.

Fine to do every once in a while but not all the time, it WILL kill you.

Methamphetamine will allow you to extend this and you’ll stay awake for weeks feeling GREAT and invincible, BUT it will still kill you. WWII is fought on meth.

I’ve said before such people deserve more than minimum wage. I’ve worked there getting only 90nt and it sucked. You get docked pay for every little mistake you make in the till. I sometimes wish there was a tipping culture in Taiwan because these workers deserve tips. The only perk you get is free food because the work generates a lot of good food that isn’t fit for sale but is fit for consumption.

Not everyone is suitable for entrepreneurship and it’s not beneficial for society for everyone to have a grind mindset and be setting up businesses.

3 Likes

Besides many folks just lose money that’s the ironic bit. Not everybody can make big money!!!