this is starting to get me down…

O/S:
WinXP Pro (English V.)

Language packs installed:
Traditional Chinese
Simplified Chinese
Chinese IME support

Problem:
I still can’t view half the chinese text i receive, especially in yahoo mails, forumosa etc… my only guess is that i don’t have the fonts that the original text was written in, but i have “install on demand” enabled for fonts in explorer, and “auto select encoding” enabled…
WHY???
can anyone help me, or tell me where i can get a bunch of free chinese fonts (i have WinXP Chinese version CD) before i’m forced to launch subversive mind attacks on bill gates?..
thanks…

I occasionally have this problem, but just to make sure: have you tried choosing “View – Encoding” from the menu on Explorer (if you’re using Explorer, for example) and choosing either Traditional Chinese or Simplified Chinese as seems appropriate? In many cases that will change the garbage characters into Chinese.

You might already have been doing that, I don’t know, but it’s just a suggestion.

You never will.

It doesn’t work; if you wish to view all the Chinese encodings, you’ll need to run Chinese XP.

Trust me on this one.

thanks…

i really hope there is some way around this…

i’ve just installed all the fonts from the WinXP Pro Chinese version CD… I’m not sure if this will work, but damn I hope it helps…

I really don’t see why it can’t work… it seems like such a low level coding parameter for the OS… with the language packs installed, and all the font ammunition that the original chinese version has, effectively the system should be running identically to a XP chinese version (linguistically)… i can’t see why the retards at microsoft couldn’t code their/our way out of this seemingly simple problem…

aaaaaaargh… give me 自由 or give me 死亡…

I use English XP and it displays Chinese characters no problem? Have you installed all the Taiwanese fonts off the CD? Are you viewing Big 5 as Iron Lady says?

I use Windows 2k and often have trouble sending and receiving Chinese in Yahoo Mail. Everything else works fine, but I often have to manually select Big5 Traditional Chinese from the encoding menu in order to see Chinese characters instead of #@`~~@-%

I have the English version of Windows 2000 at home, and changing the default language to Chinese-Taiwan worked wonders for me. It made things display in Chinese that I had thought were lost causes.

Try changing the default language under something like “Regional Settings”, although I’m not sure of the proper way to do this in XP.

Yes, as you said in your other post it is not difficult (once you change all those settings) to read all the Chinese fonts and use all the input methods. I also run English XP, and I did it, without having to intstall anything from the Chinese CD. I did notice that there is a problem in that sometimes if you change the settings, they will not apply properly, unless you restart immediately. The only thing I had to download seperately was thew Boshiamy input method that my wife uses.

Brian

[quote=“plasmatron”]
Problem:
I still can’t view half the Chinese text i receive, especially in yahoo mails, forumosa etc… my only guess is that I don’t have the fonts that the original text was written in, but I have “install on demand” enabled for fonts in explorer, and “auto select encoding” enabled…
WHY???[/quote]
Start>Settings>Control Panel>Regional and Language Options>Advanced>Select a language to match the language version of the non-Unicode programs you want to use

Select: Chinese [Taiwan]

Then, for the Code Page Conversion Tables check all of the Taiwan and Chinese options.

You will still need to go to View>Encoding to view email or HTML pages properly sometimes.