Why would a puppy not poop or pee all day long?

Okay. Yesterday there was a puppy in the local 7-11. It’s filthy, covered with fleas, and very friendly. It seems healthy enough, but kind of lethargic. My boy loves it upon first sight, of course. We ask and are told the the puppy showed up three days ago and no one knows who it belongs to. I didn’t want to bring it home, so another girl took it home last night and I agreed to take it to the vet today.

She brought it back, I took it to a vet and he said it has fleas and ticks and stomach worms, but seems healthy other than that and a little skin problem here and there. I figure it will not take much to take care of those things and I agree to pay for its care and take it home.

The vet put the flea and tick stuff on its neck and gave it a pill for the tummy worms. He said that the dog should poop like mad when the worms are killed, or at least that’s what I think he said–my Chinese is very rusty. But this dog hasn’t peed or pooped all day long. Yes, we walked it. It’s more letharic than I think it should be, still, but is playing. It drank some water, but will not take food. It did take about half of a doggy cracker, just a tiny bit. It seemed interested in some people chicken, but I don’t like to feed dogs table food, so I didn’t give him any.

*edit: HOLY CRAP!! I’ve never seen anything like that before in my life! While I was typing my son called me–these very long, kind of stiff, discusting things were all over the floor! Really, really huge! The stuff of nightmares! People can’t get those, right?

Tapeworm, eh? Yes, people can get them. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tapeworm_infection
No wonder the poor thing didn’t poop. The worms were eating all the food before he/she had a chance to digest it.

If you’re referring to the worms, then yeah, I think people can get them.

A lethargic puppy could be distemper. It’s unlikely to have gotten any shots, after all.

The doctor didn’t seem to think there were any major problems. I guess lethargy could also be lack of nutrition if the worms were eating all the food. Why are the worms stiff?

P.S. I tried to contact BARK earlier to find a good vet and ask for advice, but the website isn’t updated and the email address I found was undeliverable. Can anyone give me up to date info for contacting BARK, Please?

Rigor mortis.

excited?

[quote=“housecat”]

P.S. I tried to contact BARK earlier to find a good vet and ask for advice, but the website isn’t updated and the email address I found was undeliverable. Can anyone give me up to date info for contacting BARK, Please?[/quote]
See your PM inbox.

Natasha@BARK-Taiwan.org
Chris@BARK-Taiwan.org

Great vet at 538 Tzyou Road near the freeway. Excellent English. Dr. Claire and Dr. Peter at Happy Life Animal Hospital 07-345-0202

Thanks for your replies, all. Now, any advice on getting an excited puppy to understand that he can’t bite while playing?

He’s eating this morning and no longer seems lethargic in the least. He was absolutly BOUNCING this morning! He seemed very afraid of going back outside for a walk, though. Maybe it’s because he can’t climb the stairs? Does he worry we won’t let him back in?

It’s been a very long time since I’ve raised a puppy. I think this one (my son is insisting on calling him “Barack”) is about 4 months old.

I intended to have CATS, but life is rarely as I expect it will be.

It seems I recall our vet telling us the deworming medication can make them lethargic, or maybe it was the first set of vaccinations… I can’t remember which… I’m sure the poor puppy was drained from the fleas and worms…

He’s afraid of going outside because he thinks he will be abandoned again. Take him out for a short time and then bring him back in, and repeat. He’ll eventually get the idea you’ve decided to keep him, though he’ll probably always have abandonement issues.

As for the biting while playing - every time he nips you, firmly say ‘no’, take your hand away, and stop playing with him for a bit. He’ll stop.

[quote=“housecat”]
I intended to have CATS, but life is rarely as I expect it will be.[/quote]

Maybe wait until your child gets his first job, so he has some choice in living with The Crazy Cat Lady…

That’s what I was afraid of, but wasn’t sure if he was really that smart! I think you’re right on the money, though.

That’s what we do, but this effects my son more than me and they both get so wound up in the process; excited to play, excited and bite too much, stressed about being bitten, puppy sees stress and gets more agitated . . . it’s not easy to stop the process fast enough to seem effective. I’ll keep trying, of course, but I wish I really knew what I was doing! Anyway, the puppy is NOT biting to be mean. He’s simply trying to play. I know that.

[quote=“the chief”][quote=“housecat”]
I intended to have CATS, but life is rarely as I expect it will be.[/quote]

Maybe wait until your child gets his first job, so he has some choice in living with The Crazy Cat Lady…[/quote]

I didn’t say I intended to have 20 cats. Just two, so they could roll their eyes at us and such when we’re being to human and all that. But this doggy may prove really expensive. I’ve been too afraid to ask what shots cost!

I think he’s going to make a good guard doggy, though.

That’s what we do, but this effects my son more than me and they both get so wound up in the process; excited to play, excited and bite too much, stressed about being bitten, puppy sees stress and gets more agitated . . . it’s not easy to stop the process fast enough to seem effective. I’ll keep trying, of course, but I wish I really knew what I was doing! Anyway, the puppy is NOT biting to be mean. He’s simply trying to play. I know that.

[/quote]
Yes, he’s just playing, but do your best to stop it, because if he is allowed to nip as a pup, it will be one of his favorite ways to play when he’s an adult, and it looks like the dog is going to get pretty big.
Definitely don’t hit him to discipline him.
Keep lots of toys around for him. When he nips, immediately take your hand away and substitute a chew toy. If your son uses a rope or pull toy to play with the puppy, the puppy will bite that instead of his hands.

No, that doesn’t work. He starts out biting the toys, but then goes for the hand. He’s trying to play tug-a-war, I think.

[quote]But this doggy may prove really expensive. I’ve been too afraid to ask what shots cost!
[/quote]
Please contact me at Natasha@BARK-Taiwan.org. If you are in Kaohsiung, we may be able to help you out.

Natasha

[quote=“housecat”]

But this doggy may prove really expensive. I’ve been too afraid to ask what shots cost!

I think he’s going to make a good guard doggy, though.[/quote]
In Taipei if you get the dog (including cats) neutered and registered with a chip implanted, you get quite some subsidiary allowance from the municipal government. The whole process costs about TWD2500 net after the allowance; a few vets even provide sponsored neuteration totally free. A shot I remember costs about TWD400 when dogs or cats are neutered and registered. But the puppy is still too young for neuteration. You have to wait a little longer (at least 6 months I think) for doing that.

But it’s in Taipei. But I believe there is something similar in Kaohsiung. Good luck.

aaaaaaaah do the worms look like bean sprouts???That’s just the type of worm.

First, well done, this is a lucky puppy. :bravo:

Vaccinations, the pup is old enough to recieve his first round of shots (puppies will need a total of 3 shots each a month apart) If you explain to the vet that this is a rescued pup they will usually give you discounts. It should be around $400 per shot.

For a male it is better to wait until they are 6 months before getting them neutered. Sometimes a little longer if their balls haven’t fully dropped. In Taipei Animals Taiwan can help with free neutering, you can PM me, but i think you are in Kaushung, so maybe BARK can give you some help or at least point you in the direction of a reasonable vet.

If the puppy is healthy apart from food and toys that’s it for expenses. They will need a yearly update of one vaccination. (although our vet did say for dogs it can wait until 2 years if you want).

Lots of exercise and training will help with the bitting and rough play. Get your son to throw the ball or toy rather than wrestle with him. This will tire him out quicker.

Thanks everyone for the great advice. Natasha, I’ll be emailing you in just a moment.

UKbikerchick, thanks, but I was really reluctant about this. As I said, I was looking for CATS in the first place because they’re easier for me to care for.

Besides that, this animal is a baby. Baby animals, like baby people, require a lot more care. Life is now exactly like having a two year old again and I say “no” a thousand times a day. I wasn’t exactly looking for this kind of new relationship at this time! But I DID go in with my eyes open about adopting a young dog–just wasn’t exactly as thrilled with it as my son was!

Also, another street doggy took over my heart years ago, ShaoBai, and I’ve never quite gotten over him. This isn’t even the same kind of dog. I really loved ShaoBai and I’m not sure any other doggy can compare.

However, it is rewarding to see him cleaned up now and getting better. Now that the worms are out of his tummy, he’s eating me out of shoes and home! And I have big ol’ feet and it’s not easy to buy shoes here!

If I can ever just get his biting habbit taken care of, and afford all his health needs (I’m just nervous about this because it was quite expensive to de-heart worm ShaoBai) I know he’ll be a great doggy. He seems really not to understand our desire to pet him. He’s starting to come around, especially if you do a little scratching about the ears, but he’s still rather puzzled by the whole thing. I don’t think he as petted at all before.