Why would you want to live here?

EDITED: updated link and location of the relevant info

ldeo.columbia.edu/chrr/resea … /maps.html

and click on “Countries Most Exposed to Multiple Hazards” to download a pdf

Right in the beginning you will find

Countries Most Exposed to Multiple Hazards
Three or more hazards (top 15 based on land area)

Taiwan is number one with

Percent of Total Area Exposed 73.1%
Percent of Population Exposed 73.1 %
Max. Number of Hazards 4

Taiwan is the most dangerous place on earth. Why do I live here?

What is YOUR favourite natural hazard?

Something tells me you didn’t live in Taichung during the 921 earthquake.

After that piece of work, I’d say my favorite natural hazard would be a nor’easter, three feet of snow, snowed in, curled up on the sofa, sex for days on end.

Can’t beat that. :slight_smile:

Snakes.

Yeah, taiwan is a goddamned Death Trap. I’m pretty sure when people design cities in Taiwan, they really put effort into maximizing earthquake fatalities.

“Hey Jim, let’s put 90 shodily-designed, 25-story housing complexes right here”

“Ok, but only if they’re a maximum of 2 feet apart”

:they then proceed to do a jumping high-five: “YES!”

It reminds me of an Eek! The Cat episode I saw when I Was a kid…where the National Weather Service would go out of their way to put a trailer-park into the path of a Tornado.

A:“Hey Jim, there’s another Trailer-park in the path of this twister”

B:“Oh, well, that’s too bad”

20 seconds later

C:“OH MY GOD, we’ve got a live tornado without a trailer-park in its path”

A:“let’s roll”

Taipei is filthy and dirty, and you can get your ass blown off any minute.
And the people are mindless nasty false animal molesters.

What scares me is: I start to like it after one year now.

[quote=“bob_honest”]Taipei is filthy and dirty, and you can get your ass blown off any minute.
And the people are mindless nasty false animal molesters.

What scares me is: I start to like it after one year now.[/quote]

ass blown off?

false animal?

now?

:eh: :idunno:

… um … okay, they are animal molesters, let us omit the false for now.

:loco: WTF??

Taiwan is dirty? Compared to wear?

Compared to where?

How about… “every” where…

Yeah, Taiwan has got to be the dirtiest place I’ve ever been, save maybe Lake Erie. Take away all the garbage on the streets, and still just looking at all the cities gives me a dirty, unwelcome feeling.

Ever been to India? China? Well, it is off-topic anyway, start a new thread guys.

Back to topic. Why would anyone come to live in a country which is listed as the single most dangerous place in this world. Earthquakes, landslides, floods, and typhoons and the study doesn’t even take into account that Taiwan is also threatened by an invasion of the Liberation Army.

Why do people build houses next to an active volcano?

So you’re a nudist?

I don’t beleive that Taiwan is one of the most dangerous places in the world. Dirty yes but not compared to many other cities even in Asia let alone south america. I feel safer roasming the streets of Taipei anytime of day or night than even small town BC in Canada. Where are you getting your information? Have you been anywhere else?

Check out the report, the link is in the first post.

It is not about walking in the streets at night, but about natural hazards. Taiwan is one the few places, where four different natural hazards endanger parts of the population.

Umm, I checked out the link. Maybe I’m just not seeing it, but where does it say that Taiwan is the most dangerous place on earth?

[quote=“rice_t”]Check out the report, the link is in the first post.

It is not about walking in the streets at night, but about natural hazards. Taiwan is one the few places, where four different natural hazards endanger parts of the population.[/quote]
What about the Philippines? It has everything Taiwan has, plus active volcanoes.

I like the way the government adds to the danger by making bikes, taxis, and buses vie for the right-most lane, even to the extent of insisting they cross paths to turn off. The locating of slippery manhole covers on the racing line on corners was a masterstroke. But I have to say, the world’s slipperiest road markings take the biscuit. I have even fallen over putting my foot down on them at the lights.

Of course not providing an earth to domestic house wiring, and situating the fuseboards in the underground car parks or cellars is a close second. Oh look, another family dead from having their house burn to the ground. What’s that you say - electrical wiring at fault? No shit.

Earthquakes? Typhoons? Nothing compared to man’s own ability to put himself in danger. Lock that fire escape NOW!

Haven’t had a good 'phoon for ages. Hope this year is better than last…

Sorry, the link wasn’t very good, I have to admit.

Try ldeo.columbia.edu/chrr/resea … /maps.html

and click on “Countries Most Exposed to Multiple Hazards” to download a pdf

Right in the beginning you will find

Countries Most Exposed to Multiple Hazards

Max. Number of Hazards 4

The Philippines are also in the top 15 with one more hazard, but lower percentage of exposed Area and population.

Hongkong isn’t a lot better with “only” two hazards, but a coverage of 100%

I am not saying anything about the quality of this study.

[quote=“rice_t”]Countries Most Exposed to Multiple Hazards

Max. Number of Hazards 4[/quote]
These figures seem remarkably pointless/arbitrary.

• What are the 4 hazards? I’m guessing (after browsing the site) that they are: Earthquake, Typhoon, Landslide & Flooding. But Landslide & Flooding are a direct result of Earthquake & Typhoon, so there are actually 2 hazards.
  • How do they come up with the 73.1% figure? (Wow! Down to 1 decimal place accuracy! :notworthy: ). Which bits of Taiwan are not exposed to earthquakes or typhoons? If you’re on the West coast, you’re less exposed than in the mountains - but I’d say 100% of Taiwan is ‘exposed’ to both. If you’re talking about a serious danger to your life, then you’re basically talking about the mountains/East coast only (there is a small danger in e.g. Taipei, but that’s more down to safety/building standards than natural hazards).
  • Finally, I am trying to work out how it is possible to partition a map of Taiwan so that the land percentage is exactly the same as the population coverage (73.1%). Taiwan is made up of vaguely flat, massively overpopulated areas, and vaguely vertical, almost unpopulated areas. The safest bits of Taiwan must be the flatter west-coast bits, which are the populated areas. So how come the ‘area exposed’ figure isn’t significantly higher than the ‘population exposed’ figure?

Could it be they just pulled the figures out of their arses?