Why You Drive What You Own/Wish to Own

If I had a choice, I would drive an old Maico 490 or Husqvarna 495 enduro bike. Doesn’t mean I’m going to stamp my name on it and define myself thereby. :loco:

Modern cars to be reflect the conformity of modern society…they are numbcrushingly the same looking and I pretty much include ALL cars on the road in that description. Red or silver, with a little fin or a little swoop at the front or back…BORING>

Was driving someones S2000 the other day. To me that is about the closest to riding a moto as iv gotten in a car. You pretty much wear the thing. It doesnt have to be driven fast or dangerously to be enjoyed too. Super cars can be driven at sensible speeds without lack of enjoyment. I got a go at an R8 sypder. And I felt better driving it at 65mph on the freeway then i did at 95 (just for a few moments). They are enjoyable for the way they feel and the greater the speed, the less the actual feel.

There are so many cars I would buy, but they are largely unavailable in TW. Rented a Mazda mx-8 in California a few years ago and would definitely get one if available in TW. Till then, satisfied with the Fahrvergnügen.

What’s so hard to understand about different people having different priorities on how they want to spend their money? For some people it’s clothes, for some people it’s gadgets, for some people it’s travel and for some people it’s their cars. BFD! Just because cars might not be your thing, doesn’t make it right to ridicule someone who is into them.

:bravo:
Well said, sir.

I grew up in the Rust Belt. I understand the inclination, and I do spend an inordinate amount of my income on my antique Benz.

On the other hand, this discussion reminds me of just such a conflict of financial values I had with my dad, back in the day. I had to get student loans to do an overseas study program in France one summer, because my dad thought it was a waste of money. He said for the amount I spent on that program, I could have bought a car. That may be true, but the experience and memories will last forever, or at least until Alzheimers fully sets in. In fact, one of the friends I made on that program 30 years ago is here right now visiting me in Taiwan for 2 weeks.

Anyway, Have to leave a little early to go to the car parts store to get some fuses for my money pit of a car. Gotta love her…

what I drive on a daily basis needs to be comfortable, reliable, low on maintenance, have good fuel economy, basically a decent ride that can get me from Point A to Point B be if for work, family outings etc. Sure I would take good care of it and not consider it just to be a car and nothing else, but I would not obsses over it, or like to be identified by it.

What I wish to own, would be impractical using on a regular basis. I would only, truely, be able to enjoy it on the track. It would basically be an expensive toy.

FWIW, most racers drive what ever gives them the best chance of winning. I am a Porsche guy but I raced a BMW most of the time because the rules were more favorable for it. These cars are “track rats”, “trailer queens”, unable to be used on the street and thus definitely just expensive toys. Sponsorships only help so much, and developmental classes with many “unlimited” type of rules, while the most fun since there is innovation and engineering involved (and ridiculously crazy cars) are also the most expensive.

Many racers have a truck and trailer to tow and house their stuff (not possible in Taiwan for foreigners since we can’t own a proper pickup truck) and most likely some sort of daily driver or beater that’s more practical to carry people in comfort or to go get groceries. Many end up just driving their truck every day. It’s an expensive hobby, but it’s a hobby like any other. This means that people who race need to work their ass off at something else to pay for it. Work hard, play hard, as they say. This is what I mean when I say “removing oneself from the real world”.

The thing about racers that is different from what I think how many people here view car enthusiasts is that they don’t identify themselves by their car… they identify themselves as racers. They are willing to drive around a truck or a beater as a daily vehicle to go racing on the weekends. It’s a very different mentality than many street car enthusiasts, but that said, many racers also tend to like to have nice street cars.

Bollocks. the ridicule is reserved for the moron who posted along the lines of: “you’re all just jealous because you can’t afford expensive cars like we can.” :unamused:

[quote=“mabagal”]It’s a very different mentality than many street car enthusiasts, but that said, many racers also tend to like to have nice street cars.
[/quote]

And then race them. On the street.

[quote]Mine:
I fucking LOVE driving cars. I WISH I could afford the cars in the OP’s video.
But not because I think it would make me cool or increase my interest factor. No, it is because I personally enjoy my fecking car. Driving is a fucking SPORT for me and my car is my equipment. Why shouldn’t I want the best and my game to be better?

I love the feel of the engine, the shifting, the speed, the turns, and the wind buffeting me. I love the sights of the lines drawn onto the pavement, the trees lining the roads, the turn that came up a bit more quickly than I anticipated. I love the sounds of my engine, my hands gripping the leather-wrapped wheel, the radio blasting whatever song makes my drive better, the roar of the wind through my windows, and the swish! of rainsoaked highways. I love the adrenaline as I rev my engine up that fucking mountain crest only to realize there is a hairpin turn 50 feet ahead of me as my brain does a windspeed calculation of the last time I got my breaks and tires changed and the amount of tread that might still be left on them to keep this machine, and me inside of it, firmly gripped on the pavement.

Because I live and might die inside of my car, I want my car to represent my personality. My first car was a brand new red Nissan with spoiler, Fosgate sound system with subwoofer to boot. I was in love. My first love. Afterwards I had to ditch it for a cheap Hyundai Elantra that I loved for its wicked gasmileage and crumbling body. We’re talking a TIED DOWN HOOD that bounced when I’d hit the highway. You can bet your ass that when I rolled down the block in that thing it was clear that I FUCKING OWNED THAT SHIT. And yes, jimi, this IS how I choose to identify myself.

I am lost without my car and I’m sure the one thing I will miss the most in travels will be the inability to jump in my car at my whim and cruise down the highway, enjoying my favorite experience.[/quote]

I fucking LOVE driving cars. Although I could probably afford the cars in the OP’s video, why would I bother to buy one?

Driving for me isn’t about the car. The car does not define me. It does not define my personality. It does not represent my income bracket or my social class.
Why would I allow a machine - no - a product, a badge, to define who I am? A badge of which any number of people can afford and buy.
It’s a machine. It is made to do one thing, and that one thing is to serve me. Yes, we can work together, in harmony - man and machine, but ultimately I am the master and what the machine is, is defined by me.
I define the machine. I give it soul.
I give it life and I give it freedom.
There is a corner and a correct speed. A complicated mathematical formula which I know instantly through rapid calculation, but without any calculation. I know the formula. I know the velocity and the absolute correct weight and balance. The tug between inertia and gravity and momentum and friction. I know the limit points - the increase in speed as the corner widens or the decrease in speed as the corner narrows.
I am always correct.

Because I enjoy the flow - the smoothness of the ride. The sustained changes through the box which match the revs. The lack of brakes. The absolute correct formula to address the corner.
I never cross the line.

Driving for me is an art, not a sport. I pride myself on the flow - the continuous, smooth momentum. The forward planning. It has to be done right. No skidding. No losing control. No sudden corners. No sudden braking. No unnecessary wear and tear.
Although it may look the same as other machines in its class, it is different…
I know what is wrong from subtle shakes. I know problems through vibration and noise. I know my machine better than any mechanic.
I know it’'s limits.

I know my limits.

My machine is defined by me because I maintain it.
But without me, it is just a machine.

The flow is ultimately faster than the Porsche. A straight line win is a match for cowards, but cowards lose energy in the skid and all the fanfare of ego. The late braking. The phallucy.
I never cross the line. But you see, you can never keep up using the racing line. I can see you all in my rear-view mirror as you catch up with me but lose me on the corner, your lights on main and your fogs brightly lighting up my spare.

And yet my machine is 20 years old. It is built for going over rough ground and through rivers. It weighs two tons. Why haven’t you worked out yet that this is not a race?
This is art, and if you’d have realized this, you’d have passed me a long time ago with my respect, because you understand the flow. The inertia. The friction. How it all comes together.
But I shall let you pass as you achieve erection, and I will continue on, pleasing myself; a match for no-one except myself.
See you at the next 7-11.

1 Like

I gaze with longing eyes when I am in walnut creek and see a lambo or ferrari or what not parked in front of some nice restaurant. I realize its not really the cars I want, its the LIFESTYLE. Those cars are not good as ONLY cars, but rather are what I like to call Point A to Point A cars. Basically you drive it out for an afternoon and MAYBE park it in front of some expensive restaurant or in your buds country estate and drive back. They really are not very useful.

Still, like to have one tho ! :slight_smile:

For my budget and I still get a lot of fun out of it is my all around and (paid off) ONLY car, my Acura RSX. Loved the drive home today after work for example. Setting sun cast an orange/pink glow over all the beautiful houses along the berkeley hills as i whirled the steering wheel around the twists and turns. It was beautiful gazing quickly to the gorgeous view of the bay for a brief nano second and then back on the road again ready for the next turn.

Sure theres tons of “better” cars I would want. Not even a Ferrari, how about a nice 335 coupe? But yeah, “paid off” is a great feeling.

Hmmm… maybe my sentiment is getting lost in translation to written word.

Some are saying that the car defines the person or don’t allow the car to define you, personality, blah blah blah.

I’m talking about… What I mean is that what I own is what I own. No matter how beautiful, shoddy, useful, or whatever, here is me inside of this machine and no matter what it is, I will own it. And I don’t mean “own” as in, here is the mortgage payment on my house. I mean own as in be it, utilize it, take care of it, ENJOY it as it is.

My words. Fail Me. Argh.

Bollocks. the ridicule is reserved for the moron who posted along the lines of: “you’re all just jealous because you can’t afford expensive cars like we can.” :unamused:[/quote]
Guess I missed that post.

Bollocks. the ridicule is reserved for the moron who posted along the lines of: “you’re all just jealous because you can’t afford expensive cars like we can.” :unamused:[/quote]
Guess I missed that post.[/quote]
It was in the original thread that I made this thread off of.

Again- this thread is asking a different question than the other thread!

[quote=“Super Hans”][quote=“mabagal”]It’s a very different mentality than many street car enthusiasts, but that said, many racers also tend to like to have nice street cars.
[/quote]

And then race them. On the street.
[/quote]
I don’t know. I know a lot of guys who have a track-day-only car for messing around with or for saloon car racing, rally or drifting competition. Most of them have some very boring econobox for putting around in. Sure, there are a few with nice street cars but I think most of 'em get enough thrills at the track and don’t engage in illegal street racing. OTOH, NONE of the guys I run into who street-race ever seem to show up at the track or be involved in anything that involves rules, stopwatches or marshals. Wonder why that is… :ponder:

They’re too busy winning imaginary stoplight races with the guy lined up next to them. I’ve gotten a pretty good win streak once…

Lets not forget the extreme luxury involved in simply being able to go from A to B when you want, protected from the elements.

I’m travelling in chilly wet summer Scotland at the moment without a car, and I’m missing it, lots.

I chose my current car primarily because it was cheap (15K NT), so it does reflect me, since, pretty much by definition, I am too.

Though functional, its also in a fairly advanced state of decay. Ditto, ditto.

[quote=“Lili”]I don’t know why the threadwas locked.
So I’m responding to sandman’s and jimipresley’s post in this new thread.

[quote=“jimipresley”][quote=“sandman”]
Can’t afford them or are not in the slightest bit interested in them? I have plenty of money, thank you very much, but I’m not about to spend it on something as banal as a fecking CAR![/quote]

Quoted for truth. Pretty sad when people identify themselves by what vehicle they drive. Pathetic.[/quote]

While I understand you sentiment, I don’t think you understand the sentiment of car buffs.
Driving and owning a car is not all about show and tell. It’s about the experience and how that car relates to you and you to it.

So to all the car/moto buffs, why do you drive? What experience keeps you shelling out cash for those tires, breaks, lamps, belts, and black liquor?

Mine:
I fucking LOVE driving cars. I WISH I could afford the cars in the OP’s video.
But not because I think it would make me cool or increase my interest factor. No, it is because I personally enjoy my fecking car. Driving is a fucking SPORT for me and my car is my equipment. Why shouldn’t I want the best and my game to be better?

I love the feel of the engine, the shifting, the speed, the turns, and the wind buffeting me. I love the sights of the lines drawn onto the pavement, the trees lining the roads, the turn that came up a bit more quickly than I anticipated. I love the sounds of my engine, my hands gripping the leather-wrapped wheel, the radio blasting whatever song makes my drive better, the roar of the wind through my windows, and the swish! of rainsoaked highways. I love the adrenaline as I rev my engine up that fucking mountain crest only to realize there is a hairpin turn 50 feet ahead of me as my brain does a windspeed calculation of the last time I got my breaks and tires changed and the amount of tread that might still be left on them to keep this machine, and me inside of it, firmly gripped on the pavement.

Because I live and might die inside of my car, I want my car to represent my personality. My first car was a brand new red Nissan with spoiler, Fosgate sound system with subwoofer to boot. I was in love. My first love. Afterwards I had to ditch it for a cheap Hyundai Elantra that I loved for its wicked gasmileage and crumbling body. We’re talking a TIED DOWN HOOD that bounced when I’d hit the highway. You can bet your ass that when I rolled down the block in that thing it was clear that I FUCKING OWNED THAT SHIT. And yes, jimi, this IS how I choose to identify myself.

I am lost without my car and I’m sure the one thing I will miss the most in travels will be the inability to jump in my car at my whim and cruise down the highway, enjoying my favorite experience.[/quote]

Your kinda wasting your time starting a second thread just to respond to sandman :s [color=#004000]RW: Personal attack removed[/color] But since the thread is here I guess I’ll contribute. I’m a HUGE car guy. Born in Detroit, go figure :laughing:. I’ve loved pulling cars apart and putting them back together for as long as I can remember. For this reason I tend to like old/older cars. I reluctantly left a vintage VW camper behind when I moved to Taiwan due to the cost of importation and emissions restrictions. I now drive a new-ish Jeep which is kinda like the VW bus of the SUV world. They are very user friendly when it comes to maintenance, customizations and repairs. I’ve always loved 70s and 80s Porsches but at 6’3" 220LBS a Porsche wouldn’t exactly be a comfy road tripper lol.

I don’t drive, what I own. What do I wish to own?? Something that works. It’s a car, it takes me to work and back.