Why you should see the Vagina Monologues

The Vagina Monologues taught me how to reclaim the word “cunt”. Now I am empowered and enlightened. I shout the word “cunt” everywhere I go. My life will never be the same. :unamused:

I cunt hear you.

A great song:

[quote]The Vagina Song

Some of them are hairy
Some of them are bald
Some are kinda scary
And this is what they’re called

Vagina!
Vagi-hoo-a!
They call that thing
Vagina

Some belong to virgins
They’re really tight and strong
But big or small, I love 'em all
That’s why I sing my song

Vagina!
Vagi-hoo-a!
They call that thing
Vagina

Vagina

Some of them are smelly
Like clams and fish and such
Some smell like a summer’s eve
Cause they’ve been duesched too much

Vagina!
Vagi-hoo-a!
They call that thing
Vagina

Vagina!
Vagi-hoo-a!
They call that thing
Vagina

Nothin could be finer
Than to be in a vagina
In the morning[/quote]

So THAT’S what you were shouting. You must have wondered what the hell I was on about when I kept telling you “Yes you can! All you have to do is try a bit harder.” :wink:

Fine, then may I reclaim “Wangly-dangly?”

You don’t ask, JD. You just grasp it firmly in both hands and raise it aloft in triumph, shouting “THIS IS MY WANGLY-DANGLY! MINE! MINE!”

I personally do not like the word ‘cunt’ and never use it so there’s no reclaiming for me but I do understand what the poster meant. And I wouldn’t tell someone to watch it because it’s irreverent. Despite its irreverence (if that’s a word, I can’t remember), I enjoyed it. My friend saw it in New York City and said this one was better, with different ethnicities represented. And although you’ll never see me faking orgasms on stage or talking about what’s underneath my short skirt, I can’t help admiring all the women who were a part of the production for their Guts, and their talent too.

Geez, people. Lighten up. :bouncy:

You don’t ask, JD. You just grasp it firmly in both hands and raise it aloft in triumph, shouting “THIS IS MY WANGLY-DANGLY! MINE! MINE!”[/quote]

You must think highly of me.

Honey, it’s a penis, not a trunk.

Nothing to do with their guts or their talent. Why would you even think that’s what we are referring to? :s I admire ANYONE with the guts to get up there and strut their stuff.
The main point is just the irrelevance of the subject matter in 2006, unless its being shown in someplace like Afghanistan or Iran or someplace like that.
That, and the stuff about “reclaiming” words, which quite frankly, I don’t actually believe for a second. Funnygirl, does this mean that when you next visit your doctor you’re going to tell her, for example, that you have a pain in your cunt?

I cannot see how that would be helpful in the family therapist’s office.

someplace like … Taiwan?

someplace like … Taiwan?[/quote]

Obviously not, how can you possibly compare Taiwan with those environments?

I think I need to do a little reclaiming of my own, since I can’t recall ever using the term cunt to refer to female genitalia.
Say the word, and the first image likely to pop into my head is going to be Tomhill’s face, or maybe this:

And yeah, that’s a good thing.

(Hey jd, tell Rinkals to get his own fuckin av, I keep reading his bullshit and thinking it’s you)

someplace like … Taiwan?[/quote]

Obviously not, how can you possibly compare Taiwan with those environments?[/quote]
I wasn’t (at least not intentionally). Vagina monologues in Iran or Afghanistan would start a riot, get the organisers locked up or more likely be banned within a minute of being suggested.

What I intended to suggest was that while it may be a bit passe for all the jaded Westerners here, it’s still pretty challenging in Taiwan’s society. (At least, i assume so - not having seen the thing myself)

Maybe in smalltown Taiwan but surely not in Taipei or even Taichung. I know my wife and several of her friends have been to it in the past, and their reactions were pretty much like Erhu’s.

Only for the thousands and thousands of 30-year-old male university graduates who don’t know what a vagina is .
:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Sorry, Dave, I don’t mean to minimize your opinion, and I can see your point.

'Course they know what it is. It’s the bit you often have to scroll down to see unless the model’s lying down.

Actually, as a former playa, I can see how a show such as this could be beneficial to approx. 66% of the local lassies that found their way to the business end of my bed. There are some major misconceptions about vaginas out there and if seeing a play like TVM could open their erm…, minds a little, then a lot of wagging but lonely tongues would be very happy. I can think of at least 69 reasons why local gals should see this.

Hmm, there does appear to be upside then.

HG

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]Hmm, there does appear to be upside then.

HG[/quote]

Depends on your positioning. And for every upside, there must be an equal and opposite downside.

I can pay my way. :smiley:

HG

There is a sense of reclaiming if a whole portion of the population start to use it in a positive light. Sure, maybe the negative connotations are still there, depending on the context and nature of it being used. However, if we’ve successfully provided a positive connotation to the word, a word to be celebrated rather than shunned, then we’ve reclaimed. It’s certainly better than to avoid it altogether and pretned that we don’t hear it.

I think “queer” is a perfect example of a reclaiming of the word.
I think the “N” word has also been successfully reclaimed since those of us who aren’t it can’t even say it.
Hey, maybe that’s what should happen. If you don’t have a cunt, you don’t own the word.

And spare me with the rebuttle, I’ll give up the rights to saying “cock”…it’s not exactly my most treasured word.