Wife stuck in Manila with no visa

This is pretty difficult one and I am looking for others with a similar problem or some expertise with the Taiwan bureaucracy( or where to find those).

My wife was illegal in Taiwan for a protracted period. She was planning to give herself up but we had delayed because it took me a long time to track down a former wife in North America and get a divorce.

She had planned to return to the Phillpines last Chinese New Year but she got caught in August 2007 and we married there in October.

It was suggested to me by the Immigration Service there would be no undue problem for her to return but this appears wrong.

However, her first opportunity to apply for a visa was summarily dismissed and she cannot apply again until August when instead of spousal visa we intend that she apply for a 30 visitor visa. The MOFA is obviously taking a different attitude than Immigration.

I know of one other case where a Filipina surrendered and returned married within six months with a baby.

We respect that MOFA is pissed but we need to establish how long this likely to persist so I need to get somewhat proactive realizing missteps could make it worse.

I can get some support from at least one KMT legislator and with a change of government this could help. What is the experience of others and what are safe things that I can do? Any legal beavers I could approach in particular?

(Of course, the Manila TECO has full information of what happened.) I have PRC status.

Thanks in advance for any ideas and info.

taijack

Being illegally in Taiwan is a big problem, especially if you are from the Philippines. The NIA will tell you anything to get you to go away if you are bother them. The ban on her re-entry is coming from the NIA to the MOFA. You will need to get NIA clearance before MOFA will issue her a visa.

You need to talk to that legislator although I don’t think the change in government is going to have the slightest effect on whether the legislator can or will help you. Good luck. I’m afraid you are going to need it.

I have heard that when this happens (it happens to many domestic workers who overstay in Taiwan and aren’t allowed back in once they leave), a person from the Philippines can actually change their name and get a new passport. Maybe worth a try???

That might have worked in the past if you were worker just trying to return. Taiwan has closed this loophole and but telling lies in the situation I outline would be a total disaster…lifetime separation!

Thanks for the thought.

[quote=“Feiren”]Being illegally in Taiwan is a big problem, especially if you are from the Philippines. The NIA will tell you anything to get you to go away if you are bother them. The ban on her re-entry is coming from the NIA to the MOFA. You will need to get NIA clearance before MOFA will issue her a visa.

You need to talk to that legislator although I don’t think the change in government is going to have the slightest effect on whether the legislator can or will help you. Good luck. I’m afraid you are going to need it.[/quote]

Thanks for this. You may be correct that I should be talking to NIA to give them a goahead. They gave me casual assurances previously and I may have thought they were not the problem. Somehow this approach got put on the backburner by me…thanks for the reminder.

That is not possible any longer because TECO in Manila asks for so much supporting id now.
Anyway, she would have the same problem again in the future if asked for an ARC and she would have to sign a work contract which is very costly.

But here’s what happened. I contacted a legislator whose staff facilitated contact with the NIA. With supporting authentications of our marriage papers her time out of Taiwan has been reduced from 5 years to 2.5 which means I will be a frequent flier on Cebu Pacific for the remaining 18 months. After that the letter that the NIA will soon send me will get her a spousal visa then. It was all quite professional and we got the best and only deal possible.

Cebu is still very cheap…my next flight is only 5100 return.

:bravo: Congratulations! I’m so happy for you guys. And well done on rather doing it the honest way.