Wife wants divorce, what are my options?

Just a few things that might help you: my student loans are being differed and I believe you can qualify for a hardship differment because any money you make outside of the country (as long as its under $70,000usd) isn’t taxable and is, as such, not counted as income when considering the amount you need to repay your school loans.

Also, if you want to get out of the lease you might try not paying the rent for two months. Don’t quote me on this, but I believe they can’t kick you out until you are two months past due and your deposit will cover the rent until then. Walla, you are out of your rental contract. (again, don’t quote me :laughing: )

I can’t imagine how it was before you came to Taiwan.

Will she get all he deposit on the apartment?
Sounds like she has already made an agreement with the landlord to get you out by the 13th.

Surely there were signs before marriage she was unhinged. Many men rationalize due to ego and make excuses. Now you have seen the light you can admit there were red flags you brushed under the carpet.
And I would aim at finishing your PhD.

There were…and as sad as I get…it is mostly due to feeling alone. Many, many times I kept thinking that surely another woman would treat me better. To add perspective, I have never argued like this in any relationship I have ever been in…EVER. I have never once in 20 years of dating had the police respond to neighbor’s complaints about noise made during arguments. I think back and wonder why she was always so grouchy…how it always felt like I was chasing after someone who was always trying to get away. I think of how she has a track record of men cheating on her…and some of the pieces of the puzzle start to fall into place.

Maybe those guys were that “cheated” on her did so in similar circumstances…or maybe not. I do however know as a student of psychology that people do not generally cheat unless something is felt to be lacking from the relationship they are in.

To get that close to finishing a PhD after all that hard slog only to quit while going through marriage issues I think should be grounds for special consideration due to exceptional circumstances. After all that hard work, all you have to do is finish your thesis and you can have a doctoral degree which would be very highly regarded in Taiwan. Could you contact your school and ask about reinstating your status as a PhD candidate? It would be worth contacting your school’s student union/representative council for help. Lean heavily on the special consideration due to exceptional circumstances angle.

MODS help

OP, remove any mention of […] it will be used against you. Yes, here. You do not know who’s watching.

Thanks for the advisement.