WiFi weirdness

The place I’m living in has an old router, the Wagaly Talk II from Seednet, and I can’t even begin to describe how much it sucks. It’s reaaaaally slow, the WiFi only supports b/g and it’s impossible to transfer big files (2GB+) within the network because the wifi connection cuts the file transfer and you get an error (at least that happened in windows, since I switched to Ubuntu it doesn’t seem to happen, at least, not so often).

The router barely gets the work done for surfing the web, but when I login to my Guild Wars 2 (MMORPG) account, I get a lot of connection/network errors, major lag, etc. And the most annoying thing, when I want to download a torrent file, for example, the latest Ubuntu OS (which was released last week), it starts downloading, and after 5 minutes or so, the Wifi connection shuts down. The SSID is there, but I can’t connect. Not from my computer, but not from my iPad (or any other WiFi device). Ethernet keeps working just fine, though. I suspect maybe the router is busted, or maybe is crappy like that.

The thing is, the router interface is only in chinese (no english option), and I don’t have a clue where I could download an updated firmware, or how to update it.

I got my father-in-law to call the company and ask how much would it cost to get a newer router (with at least b/g/n support), and they told him that the best thing he could do was to buy a wifi switch and connect it to the crappy router. :fume:

Any suggestions?

Just get a new router… They go for under NT$1000.

I thought about that… But the actual router is from seednet and the ADSL configuration is hidden… I don’t know if they’ll be willing to give me the right configuration.

If you are certain the problem is in the WIFI only (ie, the ethernet is solid), then simply buy a new, reliable WIFI router and connect it to your DSL modem via ethernet (the same way you connect your current devices: I suspect via DHCP). Point all your devices to the new SSID and ignore the original SSID on the DSL modem, if you cannot turn that one off.

Technically, the DSL modem can’t really tell what you are connecting to the DSL modem - another router or an end-device like a mobile phone or another PC. When you are setting up the new WIFI router via ethernet to the DSL modem, it should automagically work if the server is DHCP - if it is manual IP, you will have to figure out the IP address of the DSL modem (not hard to do).

The thing is, the router they have is really old and it’s the one the company gave them for free (probably the cheapest they could buy). I really don’t want to go through that, and If I’m buying a new ADSL router, may as well kick the old router out. I was thinking on getting the same Asus i had in Barcelona, that ran a torrent client directly to my ethernet-capable HDD. That way, I don’t really need to have the computer on all night from time to time (and my wife would be much happier, since the desktop is on our room).

If your goal is to improve your wireless, kfmfe04’s suggestion is all that you need. Sure, it’s not the absolutely best solution, but it sounds like it would solve your main problem for little money. I think there are some D-Links for ~NT$600. Making the seednet box serve as a modem only isn’t going to slow you down significantly.