Wikileaks Afghanistan War Logs

Assange should be charged with high treason and hanged. In my opinion, these documents were leaked for the same reason that Fuch or Rosenberg type of traitors leaked atomic secrets to Stalin. They thought that the playing field between the US and terrorist countries should be made equal. And for that, I hope Assange meets the same fate as the Rosenbergs. :laughing: :laughing:

The sanctimony emanating from Assange is bloody appalling. In his ideal warped world, the true heroes aren’t the Western soldiers who sacrifice for the rights of women and the rights of locals to vote, but the “journalists” who expose all sorts of things. I’ll bet this cheesedick cornpone Queenslander entered his hermaphroditic teenage years by watching “The Pelican Brief” and “Erin Brockovich” over and over again alone. :laughing: :smiley:

Here is a person that attended the Oslo Freedom Forum in April 2010 and compared Auschwitz and Guantanamo Bay. :thumbsdown:

I wonder why so many Che-loving, beret-wearing, liberal arts studying spoiled kids have to go after the US? Why don’t they go after really closed societies? Ah, it might actually mean leaving the suburban bubble where mummsies and popsies can’t take care of them. Ain’t gonna happen, is it? :smiley: Jay Nordlinger summed it up quite well in National Review

Fact is, were the people he’s aiding actually win, he’d be the first one lined up against the wall. :smiley:

[quote=“Jaboney”]Wrong question.

The correct question is: has anyone tried to sell a war as clean and tidy, and ridden that perception to drive a policy that would otherwise enjoy only marginal public support? If a democratic society is to go to war (and they do so more frequently and thoroughly than others), it should do so for the correct reasons and with as much knowledge as possible.[/quote]

What is the correct reason in Afghanistan in your opinion?

My opinion is that the Taliban, which was an extremely odious regime, harbored Al-Qaeda, allowing for the attacks on the US to occur with impunity. That regime was toppled quickly but unfortunately because of its close relationship with Pakistan was able to survive in the Pakistan boarder regions. Support within Pakistan continues for the Taliban through the madrasah where Taliban ideology was spawned. Imperial military links on the part of the Pakistan to the Taliban are also strong, making fighting the Taliban very difficult. Pakistan is a nuclear state very close to being at war with the US. There is no telling which way Pakistan will go. It’s history, however, tells you that it is essentially a pariah state supplying North Korea, Libya, and Iran with nuclear technology and know-how. If there was ever a good reason to go to war this is the one. That’s my opinion.

[quote=“Chewycorns”]Assange should be charged with high treason and hanged.[/quote]Hanged for treason after offering the public leaked intel? How do you feel about leaders selling false intel to the public that directly leads to wars with human suffering? Amazon should help them sell their hard cover war victory speeches?

Maybe its better the public stays generally ignorant of what a lot of their money (debt) purchases, or what their leaders wrongfully do/approve/ignore under the shroud of ‘our national security’?

But really, ‘treason’ in what pretext? Against U.S. National Insecurity? Australia’s?
Against International Politicians’ Rights to Fudge and Obscure Human Tolls?

[quote=“Chewycorns”]the true heroes aren’t the Western soldiers who sacrifice for the rights of women and the rights of locals to vote[/quote]Pro-war media talking point of championing human rights versus actual public impunity offered by western soldiers. Maybe you’ll be the first to find and share how human rights have been significantly advanced from the war logs information. Hopefully it will represent something near the value we ourselves would appreciate after an occupying force has militarily transformed our homes, neighborhoods, landscape. My guess, if you end up comparing the numbers of locals written to have been protected versus locals caused to suffer (not counting generational), the percentage will most likely end up disappointingly low.

[quote=“Fox”]That regime was toppled quickly[/quote]Very quickly. We employ thousands of military strategists (uniformed and non-uniformed) for as many scenarios as possible. Greatest funding normally goes to the scariest.

The U.S. Afghan invasion was pre-planned in the Summer of 2001 (BBC, MSNBC) and Osama bin Laden was a direct military target before 9/11 (Guardian). Hard not to figure how the US-Allied forces started in mid-October and overtook Jalalabad and Kabul by mid-November.

[quote=“Fox”]My opinion is that the Taliban, which was an extremely odious regime, harbored Al-Qaeda, allowing for the attacks on the US to occur with impunity.[/quote]Bush, under congressional authority, ““DETERMINED”” OBL to have planned, authorized, committed, or aided the terrorist attacks. Strangely enough, OBL reportedly professed his innocence on September 12, 16, 17, and 28 (source, source), but instead later a suspicious tape of a fatty bin laden laughing about the success of 9/11 was played over and over and over and over as conclusive evidence. That was the video Bush claimed, “For those who see this tape, they’ll realise that not only is he guilty of incredible murder, he has no conscience and no soul” (source). Even when questioned about the fatty OBL “confession” video, Bush with all grandeur responded, “It is preposterous for anybody to think that this tape is doctored” (source).

Nine years later it doesn’t really matter much that Swiss analysts had the nerve to report Osama’s recordings as fake, and German analysts reported bin Laden videos were misconstrued (semi-English version), or even that the FBI has no evidence connecting him. Only a mighty accusation.

The president’s authority I think still resides simply on his ““DETERMINATION””.
And alas, another $58 billion approved for both occupations hours ago in the House with debate removed, preventing the wikileaks reports from being used in arguments.[quote]San Fran’s ABC

Late Tuesday, the House voted to pump another $58 billion into the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, but this week’s massive classified document leak is having an impact.

Support for the war is eroding and the massive military document leak certainly hasn’t helped the situation. President Barack Obama tried to downplay it on Tuesday, but if it weren’t for Republican support, the $58 billion funding for the war would have failed.
…
The war is so unpopular, the Democratic leadership engineered Tuesday’s vote in a way that severely limited debate.

“The last thing they want to have right now is a debate on the floor of the House of Representatives about whether or not we should be in Afghanistan and right now they are worried that with the release of these documents that that might precipitate exactly that debate and that’ll make the White House, it’ll make the Congress, and it’ll make the Democrats look very bad,” said Henry Brady, Ph.D., from the Goldman School of Public Policy.

So on Tuesday, the debate was organized under rules usually used for renaming post offices or bills so popular or mundane they need no debate. Forty minutes was the limit. The measure passed with a lot of Republican support, but you can bet the White House is hoping this is the last we’ll hear of this, until after the November elections. [/quote]

Fox News/The Times of UK now reports that many Afghans ARE NOW at risk of harm because of the leaks.[quote]Hundreds of Afghan lives have been put at risk by the leaking of 90,000 intelligence documents to WikiLeaks because the files identify informants working with NATO forces.
…
The Afghan Government has reacted with horror to the volume of information contained in the files.

A senior official at the Afghan Foreign Ministry, who declined to be named, said: “The leaks certainly have put in real risk and danger the lives and integrity of many Afghans. The U.S. is both morally and legally responsible for any harm that the leaks might cause to the individuals, particularly those who have been named. It will further limit the U.S./international access to the uncensored views of Afghans.”[/quote]No mention of amounts of ‘top-secret’ innocent suffering now exposed.

“Afghan Government has reacted with horror to the volume…contained…”
Of course, even our House of Representatives billed the people $58 billion more for further escalation without debate.

“The U.S. is both morally and legally responsible…”
Wasn’t that expected 9 years ago, or even 12 hours ago when our “representatives” committed more from OUR family members and tax dollars?

[quote=“Fox”]What is the correct reason in Afghanistan in your opinion?[/quote]I wasn’t offering my own justification of the occupation of Afghanistan, just an argument regarding the gov’t’s propaganda campaign.

I agree, the Taliban is extremely odious. It did harbor al Qaeda, but it isn’t going anywhere. Given the weakness of these states, attempts to stamp them out will fail; containment and reduction of harm are the way to go, and a worthwhile mission. But the worthiness of that mission and the original reasons for going in aren’t one and the same, and the worthiness of the mission and its feasibility are two entirely different things.

Your post reads like an argument for invading Pakistan, not Afghanistan. Or maybe declaring war on the Taliban (which ever side of the border they’re on), which would mean taking on both the conservative Pashtun tribes from which they come and the Pakistani state.

A military hearts and minds/ cultural/ insurgency battle is very difficult under the best of circumstances – say, within a single state, within a discrete, geographically isolated territory: think Aceh, which was settled by the Christmas tsunami, or the Tamils, which took a very long, bloody war. These conditions aren’t nearly as neat and tidy; not even as clean cut as Iraq.

So, what do I think? meh. If you want to embrace the Wilsonian idealism of Bush’s second inaugural, intervention can be justified. But imho, the world is decades away from being able to pull off something that ambitious.

[quote=“Jaboney”]If you want to embrace the Wilsonian idealism of Bush’s second inaugural, intervention can be justified. But imho, the world is decades away from being able to pull off something that ambitious.[/quote]Very true.[quote]The leaders of governments with long habits of control need to know: To serve your people you must learn to trust them.
…
In America’s ideal of freedom, the public interest depends on private character – on integrity, and tolerance toward others, and the rule of conscience in our own lives. Self-government relies, in the end, on the governing of the self.
…
And our country must abandon all the habits of racism, because we cannot carry the message of freedom and the baggage of bigotry at the same time.
…
From the viewpoint of centuries, the questions that come to us are narrowed and few. Did our generation advance the cause of freedom? And did our character bring credit to that cause?
…
– President Bush, January 20, 2005[/quote]

Soldiers are mearly casualties or war . The real crime is in who sent them there and why.
Better yet, why don’t you ask what’s up with the build up of foreign and UN troops in your own backyard.

[quote=“bereal”]Soldiers are mearly casualties or war .[/quote]Soldiers represent a statistic of total casualties. Hardly worthy of contempt, nor alone in being undervalued.

WikiLeaks Reportedly Outs 100s of Afghan Informants

[quote] in spite of WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange’s claim that sensitive information had been removed from the leaked documents, that reporters scanning the reports for just a couple hours found hundreds of Afghan names mentioned as aiding the U.S.-led war effort.

One specific example cited by the paper is a report on an interview conducted by military officers of a potential Taliban defector. The militant is named, along with his father and the village in which they live.[/quote]

I’m all for certain levels of accountability and transparency, but releasing the names of hundreds of informants, what was he thinking? Perhaps being charged with treason is not off the cards.

Your understanding. Not my argument.[/quote]

If your argument is not that war is justifable, then what is your argument? How am I misrepresenting you by saying that you believe war is justifable?

You wrote this:

If you did not mean by this that it is possible to go to war with the correct reasons, what did you mean?

You’re saying that he supports all wars, which is not his position. Jaboney’s position is that war is distasteful but that sometimes we have no option and that a war that is justified by extreme circumstances may need to be entered into, for this or that reasonable reason. Many othr wrs are unreasonable and should rather be settled in different ways.

Your point is that no war is justifiable, or more properly, war is immoral and evil and that we should all stop it. This is partly built on the position that all people will find war equally objectionable.

This is a problem when you are faced with people for whom war is no problem. Then they can pick on you at will, and you won’t fight back, because to do so would be wrong.

I don’t buy that.

besides, i like blowing shit up, and so there should be a place in society for me!

Ok, Fortigurn, I’ll bite. But it’s necessary to start a bit earlier in the thread.

On page one, you posted the following response:[quote=“Fortigurn”][quote=“Jaboney”]If [color=#0040FF]“anyone who thinks that…is deluding themselves”[/color], what matter that [color=#0040FF]“this is what politicians typically do when it comes to wars”[/color]?[/quote]You mean ‘What matter that politicians try to get people to believe in a lie’? I think that matters quite a lot.[/quote]The coloured words are taken from your previous post. What do you understand my question to mean?

Because I’m responding to a pair of assertions in your argument: 1) that “Anyone who thinks that any war can be clean and tidy [color=#0040FF]is deluding themselves[/color]”, and; 2) that [color=#0040FF]politicians typically mislead the public[/color] when it comes to wars.

I ask you: “If it is true that the populace deludes itself, why does it matter that politicians will seek to mislead them?”
Meaning that if what you say is true, the politicians are wasting their time, because the sheeple will follow on their own accord. But…

I do not accept that this is true. I do not accept your initial premise. I question the logic of your argument.

And yet you respond with:[quote]You mean ‘What matter that politicians try to get people to believe in a lie’? I think that matters quite a lot.[/quote] :cactus: Tell me, please, how the duck I got saddled with an argument I’ve thoroughly rejected?

Being persuaded by an argument is not in the least incompatible with self-delusion. On the contrary, it’s what confirmation bias is all about.[/quote]Again, what do you understand my post to mean?

Because I restate three times that lies/propaganda/accurate information matter.
I give politicians credit: their lies matter because they are effective.
Those lies convince at least some people; they sway at least some people.

You respond: “Being persuaded by an argument is not in the least incompatible with self-delusion.”
That is tautologically false.

By definition:

[quote=“definition Confirmation bias”]Confirmation bias (or myside bias) is a tendency for people to prefer information that confirms their preconceptions or hypotheses, independently of whether they are true. …
A cognitive bias towards confirmation of the hypothesis under study
a form of cognitive error based on the tendency to seek out information which supports one’s beliefs, and ignore contradictory information. [/quote][quote=“definition Persuade”]carry: win approval or support for;
cause somebody to adopt a certain position, belief, or course of action; twist somebody’s arm;
Persuasion is a form of social influence. It is the process of guiding oneself toward the adoption of an idea, attitude, or action by rational and symbolic (though not always logical) means.
To successfully convince (someone) to agree to, accept, or do something, usually through reasoning and verbal influence.
persuasion - the act of persuading (or attempting to persuade); communication intended to induce belief or action [/quote]
Under confirmation bias, information is selectively sought, and contradictory information is ignored, IN ORDER TO CONFIRM A POSITION.
Through persuasion, an effort must be made to convince, to induce a belief NOT ALREADY PRESENT.

Someone subject to confirmation bias can superficially attend a debate, but if they are swayed by those arguments and not simply affirming preconceived positions, then they are not, by definition, deluding themselves. They are won over despite themselves.

[quote=“Fortigurn”]The fact is you and I both know that war is the prolonged perpetuation of what we recognize as immoral conduct, and is permitted as a triumph of the hindbrain over moral reasoning. [/quote]Not at all. It may be. WWI was greeted with great enthusiasm and dancing in the streets; WWII was not.

The hindbrain may, just as easily, scream “Run and hide!” as “Fight! Fight! Fight!” A great deal of effort is invested in persuading men to go to war, because the hindbrain isn’t enough. Some of that persuasion is emotional (“Daddy, what did you do in the war?”), some of it is directed at higher faculties (liberty, democracy, self-determination, the necessity of confronting tyranny). A man compelled by circumstances, against his will, to leave home and family to defend strangers in a strange land may be the most moral of men, fighting a moral cause.

So, you misunderstood or misrepresented my argument throughout, but were half right in recognizing at the end that I hold it is possible to go to war for the correct reasons.

Does this make sense? I need to know because I have no wish to engage in a dialogue if my words are going to be misunderstood or misrepresented; it’s unhelpful in the first instance (you won’t be contributing to my better understanding) and simply an annoyance in the second.

[quote=“Mick”]WikiLeaks Reportedly Outs 100s of Afghan Informants

[quote] in spite of WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange’s claim that sensitive information had been removed from the leaked documents, that reporters scanning the reports for just a couple hours found hundreds of Afghan names mentioned as aiding the U.S.-led war effort.

One specific example cited by the paper is a report on an interview conducted by military officers of a potential Taliban defector. The militant is named, along with his father and the village in which they live.[/quote]

I’m all for certain levels of accountability and transparency, but releasing the names of hundreds of informants, what was he thinking? Perhaps being charged with treason is not off the cards.[/quote]

Wow, if that’s the case, which is contrary to his representations, then he is either a douche or negligent in releasing certain information. Couldn’t they have blacked out names if his intent was to show the methods and results of the war? not knowing individuals’ names conceivably would not hinder his alleged motives. In that case, I would agree with others that charge of treason might be called for.

Self-defense. Al-Qaeda attacked us and we retaliated.

If our forefathers had continued that ancient Christian practice, the European empires would never have dominated the world and your country and my country would not exist.

So you’d rather live as part of a humiliated and subjugated people than kill in self-defense? I don’t understand that. Even if I knew offering no resistance would result in no loss of life on either side, I’d still fight to the death against an invader.

The other poster’s Nazi reference may be cliche, but is appropriate in this context. Even countries that offered no resistance to Nazi occupation and experienced no initial casualties still suffered tremendous loss of life as the native Jews and other “undesirables” were shipped off to the death camps. You would rather England have accepted Nazi conquest peacefully and allowed Jews and others to be exterminated than go to war with Germany? Was England in the moral wrong for defending itself?

Not only names of informants, but specific details on tactics, techniques, procedures and equipment. The enemy will be reading the leaked data carefully and it is likely that our soldiers and people friendly to us will die as a result of Assange’s highly irresponsible journalism.

He’s already wanted in Australia for breaking into government computer networks. Hopefully they’ll add treason or some related charge to his rap sheet.

I saw an interview with him the other day. He’s completely unrepentant. What a sanctimonious idiot.

As much as I like free journalism I was shocked to read details like “an informant said 1 Chinese muslim, one Pakistani and one Syrian” or whatever are being supplied with Chinese ammunition paid by ISI, the Pakistani secret service, to attack on .
Maybe the insurgents will only figure out 10 people who could have known that and who are not in the inner circle. Bullets to the heads of those.

Free journalism paid with blood.
Ugly.

And I usually say the two wars there are a bloody mess and getting out there might be the best. I say might because little honest Bob here is no military expert.

Most public opinion is focused on the “evil” of the war and “the killing of innocent civilians”. The details of strategy and informants killed goes over their heads -does not compute. Bad, bad imperialist go home. :cactus: :noway:

The pulling of the puppets’ threads is too obvious. Playing public opinion on the guise of freedom is disgusting.

[quote=“Gao Bohan”]I’d still fight to the death against an invader.[/quote]We most certainly
(edit)
wouldn’t strap bombs to our children, but we’d undoubtedly use every other method of retaliation. These leaks documenting internal communications that include innocents lost will most certainly add fuel to the same fire we’d have if we were in their shoes.

Exactly. I read a quote from him in the paper in which he describes his motivation for doing what he does as one of enjoying “crushing bastards.” I’d bet money that far fewer political figures who this guy classifies as “bastards” will be “crushed” than the number of well-intentioned informants who are going to die as a result of these leaks.

What this fool has done has nothing to do with whether or not we should be in Afghanistan. Anybody who has read the papers for the past few years knows that the war we are fighting there is bloody and ineffective, and that all parties are involved in dirty deeds. I haven’t seen anything in the leaked info that would change the minds of people who are either for or against the war. The only thing that Wikileaks has done here is to provide the details that will lead to more people getting killed.