Wikipedia-would you do it?

Would you ever think of placing information about yourself on Wikipedia and have your friends and family add stuff to it?

Think about it. It’s not limited to content and many famous (and not so famous)people are on there. So, if you did do it what would you say about yourself.

NamaHottie - Na’ Ma Ha’ tee, N. - see “Tater Tots”

Wouldn’t do it. Seems too silly and self-involved to me. Which isn’t to say it couldn’t be done well… I just don’t see it.

:rolmao: I guess I could go down as the inventor of Tater tots. And you could contribute.

Let’s see what I would put on for me

Name, birthday, birthplace.
AKA Namahottie. Tends to be very vocal about racial issues concerning African Americans. Has travelled to several coutries in search of her true love Takeshi Kaneshiro but eventually ended up teaching English to children in Taiwan, Japan, and America. Posts online more than she should. Has a chocolate half breed labrador(sp) who is always in her face for attention. Her brief 15 mintues of fame was working on a high profile Hong Kong, to which she has been trying to do again for over 10 years. Loves to cook and laugh about the silly shit in life. Quite a few people think she’s a liberal but actually she believes in strict displine over children and other things in society. She’s old school.
She ran a blog for 10 secs that now recieves spam. She got her B.A. in film and never made one of her own, unless you count the homework ones.
Wishes to live on a ranch in Montana one day, so she can stare at the stars, ride horses, and think in peace.

You can’t, anyway. There’s a rabid committee of Wikipedians who determine, collectively, what “has merit” and what does not.

Quite rightly too. I understand the particular article that Ironlady is upset about (on Tonally Orthographic Pinyin), but Wikipedia has to have notability criteria otherwise it would just turn into myspace. I support TOP being given an article, but the rules of the site state that in order to be “notable” TOP must be referenced elsewhere. If we can come up with news clips, blog noise and other mentions of the system to support it, then we can argue against such an article being taken down.

Putting up articles about non-notable people kind of goes against the point of having an encyclopedia, and so I find it understandable that people take them down. As an experiment Nama - try putting up an article about yourself and see how long it lasts (I promise not to touch it!).

On the other hand, I’ve only met Nama the once and don’t know anything about her really. If you are an author of reknown, a downhill skiing champion or have some other claim to fame that I don’t know about (and can back it up), then your article would stay up. :smiley:

so, has anyone Wikkied?- I put in a reference to Fritz Lieber’s ChangeWar series on the Alternative History Fiction article- my claim to fame :slight_smile:

I’ve started a number of stubs on Wikipedia.

But as to people, they frown on creating entries for people who aren’t sufficiently famous.

Yeah, I worked on oracle bones, bronze and other early scripts, calligraphy, and so on.
It’s an encyclopedia, not a personal blog. Personal vanity stuff doesn’t belong there. :wink:

My hiking club is mentioned though I am not.

So to begin a entry about yourself and own contributions would be personal vanity as where a two thousand paged entry about Tom Cruise and his films would be information?! :loco:

So to begin a entry about yourself and own contributions would be personal vanity as where a two thousand paged entry about Tom Cruise and his films would be information?! :loco:[/quote]

What if Tom Cruise made the entry himself? Would that be personal vality? :slight_smile:

Things to do:

1. Get famous.

2. Hire a good biographer to write a wiki article about me. I wonder if Ken Burns is busy…

So to begin a entry about yourself and own contributions would be personal vanity as where a two thousand paged entry about Tom Cruise and his films would be information?! :loco:[/quote]

Did I say that would be valuable information? :stuck_out_tongue: I don’t think so. :loco:

You know, even Jesus Christ doesn’t have 2,000 pages written about him in the Bible.

That’s just wrong that Tom Cruise would warrant such a lengthy wiki entry.

I assumed it was hyperbole.

Yeah, Wikipedia pages have a maximum limit

Rule #1 in the chapter of ImaniOU’s book on simplifying language so ImaniOU can understand you better:

If you’re going to use hyperboles, you have to preface them with the discourse marker “like”… as in “Tom Cruise has like 2,000 pages about his life and his filmography on wikipedia.”

If you fail to follow Rule #1, neither forumosa.com nor ImaniOU holds any responsibility for ImaniOU taking your hyperbole literally.

Thank you.

This message was brought to you by ImaniOU’s Guide to Internet Reading Comprehension Tips for Complete Idiots Like ImaniOU.

(Rule #2 - To indicate the use of sarcasm, use either a winkie smilie or a big grin smilie.)

:smiley:

[quote=“ImaniOU”]Things to do:

1. Get famous.

2. Hire a good biographer to write a wiki article about me. I wonder if Ken Burns is busy…[/quote]

If Andrew Morton did it, you would find out more about yourself than you thought you knew. :smiling_imp: :smiley:

I’m mentioned on wikipedia, and I didn’t put it there.