Will Australia make a clean sweep of the Poms?

Langer was still in at stumps, 156 n.o. Steve Waugh made a quick 62 n.o.

To think England came into this match with expectations of winning back some lost pride. Their tails must be even further between their legs now. It’ll be all over in three days.

It’s farkin’ great to be back in Oz for Christmas, sinkin’ tinnies while sittin’ around the barby at the beach; played a game of beach cricket with me mates while listening to the sounds of England’s cricketers choking during the Boxing Day Test!

I went fishing today - got a bite but the bugger stripped me tackle.
Went for a surf but the waves were flat.
Asked for “Boag’s” but all I got was “Crownies”.
Sat in the hot sun (35 today) until the thunderstorm arrived.
By rights, I should be miserable…
but I got home in time to WATCH THE POMS GETTIN BELTED BY THE AUSSIES ON THE TEEV…

I love Christmas!

Today I heard that during the last test (was it at the WACA?) , the Barmy Army challenged the “Outer” to a game of backyard cricket. With a “squad” of 31 players, they won the toss and elected to bowl first. I believe the “Outer” made a respectable 239 runs, all out. The Barmy Army batted well, but narrowly lost the runchase, making 209-29. Apparently, the last batsman had to retire drunk.

Cheers again,

The Big Babou
ps: Actually, I got home just in time to see Steve Waugh (on 52) get caught(?) at slip, but the 3rd umpire (Mr. TV camera) deemed it “not out”. It was too hard to judge, as the fielder had cast a shadow over the ball, which was maybe scooped up from the ground. You could see he looked a bit unsettled about having to “call” whether he’d caught it or not, given that anything “close” was about to be scrutinsed by the media whivh meant then that the player could be subject to accusations of cheating.

Omni, I hope you guys get back into this game, cause I plan on drinking these VB cans in front of the computer on Saturday, but by the look of things, she could be all over by then :wink:

Alley, haven’t heard anything yet mate. Will post if I do. It’s gotta be on, surely! Cheers Amos.

Er… it’s not looking all that good just now. But all it needs is a quick triple ton from the captain, some solid support and a few fireworks from the lower order, and then we’ll be set to skittle you guys out second time round and romp home to a comprehensive win. Now if only Bothers was still around!

On TV coverage of the World Cup, I’m not the least bit optimistic. The best we can hope for is a few recorded highlights tucked away at some unearthly hour when all their local viewers are asleep in bed. If only we could go back to the good old days when Star Sports had a single programme schedule for the whole of Asia, which included a rich feast of cricket targeted at India and its neighbours. Those were the days!

On www-uk.cricket.org one can sign up (about $10 a day) for live video: A broadband connection is essential. i am sure the World Cup will also be broadcast this way.

As a contingency, if they do not broadcast it here in Taiwan:

I have the fastest ADSL connection available. So if you guys want to club, we can watch games at my place. I have a notebook with a video out-to-TV feature.

Karma to you Alleycat.

Looks like the Poms are going to play ball today. Looking very solid at 2 fa.

Hate cricket…and mostly feel shameful of Aussie cricket players. (I’m an Ozzie BTB) Warnie, what a c*t! That fkwit takes baked beans to India for godsake! The Sri Lankan "tosser incident :blush:

Mark RE:
Aussie team… a shadow of their former selves… It’s just a bunch of boring wankers now. All make-up and sunnies[quote][/quote]
The Waughs are a very interesting twist though. And what’s that Chinese guy that played for Queensland?

Unsurprisingly the games a tad light on abbos too, sort of apartheid South African thing.

Best ever cricket moment? One day world cup match in Calcutta when the Sri Lankans trounced India and the crowd started burning the stadium.

HG

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]And what’s that Chinese guy that played for Queensland?
[/quote]
Are you thinking of Richard Chee Quee? He played for NSW. 21 matches, 1020 runs at an average of 28.50. click here for his profile.

[quote="Huang Guang Chen
"]Unsurprisingly the games a tad light on abbos too, sort of apartheid South African thing. [/quote]

Aboriginals or indigenous people, not “abbos”, if you don’t mind. Jason Gillespie is supposed to have a bit of aboriginal blood in him.

Wix,

thanks for that, but…

I take your point but actually the issue of a [quote]bit of aboriginal blood in him[/quote] - unless it was a joke of course - is way more offensive than the term us lazy Australians use for our indigino’s. A tricky one I grant you as it really depends on the tone and intent of the user. In this instance I think my stance was clearly for more rather than less inclusion.

Cheers,
HG

Wix, just looked at your website - the Chinese study bit. Good stuff. I’m interested to know why you suggest NJ Star though. I used it before Microsoft got their act together on the language thing but can now elect whatever language and input I choose. Haven’t looked at NJ Star since but I hope the company’s doing alright as they really did offer users of an English 'puter wanting to read and write Chinese a good deal.

G’day,

Actually, HG’s use of the term “abbo” has gotten me a little stumped…
Sure, it’s slang and a little lazy, and to be honest I usually cringe when I hear it, but I can’t really explain why…

If there’s no malice, it shouldn’t cause any bother. Does anyone have a prob with the following few, for example? American (Seppo or Yank); Lebanese (Lebbo, or Leb); Russian (Russki, a name so popular it’s also become the name of a popular alcoholic drink); Indonesian (Indo); Pakistani (Paki).

We Aussies are commonly lazy with our English, often shortening terms and then adding “a” or “o” onto the end. I guess it really comes down to whether it’s the object of our affection or derision, in which case, what’s the big deal about what HG said? It was just a little lazy, and a bit cheeky.

Babou

Big B,

you got it in a nutshell. I too feel uncomfortable wih the term when used by a redneck, eg, “those abbo’s…”

Back to the cricket chaps…but you Aussies out there best not get too excited. I hear the English soccer team’s playing the Socceroos soon! No doubt the score will look something like the end of the first day of play in an Oz vs. England test with the Aussies at the bat, ie, 1 for 400 or something ridiculous.

HG

I think the term ‘abbo’ is as derogatory as the come. If you don’t think it is, then go out on the town in Swan Hill or Mildura and as often as you can, speak out “plenty of abbo’s around here”, same as “boongs”. You’ll go home with a bit more than a hangover I"m tippen.

Back to the topic. Poms are looking very, very good on day 4. Goo on ya’s.

Well, Big Babou, the answer to the question is no. And according to ‘Pommie’ logic, us winning the last test match makes us world champions!

[quote]Well, Big Babou, the answer to the question is no. And according to ‘Pommie’ logic, us winning the last test match makes us world champions![/quote] Actually, you’d have to beat South Africa to claim that victory. Even though we pulverised the Springboks both at home and away, by some rediculous flaw in the new rankings, we’ve dropped to 2nd.

1ST FINAL SCOREFLASH - England 6 for 62 after 24 overs :smiley:

Yep, the Poms are back to their usual selves!! Live “Desktop Scorecard” for the Guardian is great (except for us Poms, of course!)

So lads, what are we doing for the WC???

Alley, I could be a goer, need to find out the schedule, bribe the missus etc etc first.