Will be Asked to Leave Taiwan if You Switch from A Bachelor

Degree Program to a Mandarin Course at Another University in Taiwan?

Dear listers,

My name is Vidyasvari.

I tried to register at forumosa.com some months ago, but did not succeed, and since the nick I intended to use (that is my name) was taken by an (old, former) forumosa.com system, now I am using “wasVidyasvari”, :).

I may be asked to leave Taiwan in 15 days, that is 10 days after the current university (I was registered with, hence the University name is on my Resident VISA-granted from TETO in the country where my passport comes from, and on my ARC, expired in Sep 2005) stamp my 2-year leave taking (but they said: one-year today, and come again next year, for another year of leave taking, and that I have to get the leave taking or the quit the university before Wednesday next week, since next week is the deadline of such matters).

A Foreign Student Advisor (confirmed by the Vice Director of the college I am taking there) told me that once my leave is approved, I have to leave Taiwan in 10 days.

A person I was referred to speak to for such matters by some people at the university where the Mandarin Course was, is a very helpful individual, but they did told me that the suggestion they gave me is a personal one, it may not be what would be recommended by the university.

Does any of you been in a similar situation or knows the current law regulating situations like mine?

Does anyone have friends who may be able to help me out with some insights, or even come with me to the concerned departement?

Basically: I do not know what to do, what to expect, nor where to go to get what I need to stay in Taiwan for two and a half years (from now), :((.

Thank you administrators of Forumosa.com, this Open Forum, and listers who read and/or reply to this plea, :)!

Terrified,

Vidyasvari

Hi,
So, am I correct to think that you were studying for a BA degree in Taiwan. Now you are going to take two years off from your studies (and come back to them later?), so the government feels you have no reason to be in Taiwan, because your original purpose for being in Taiwan was to study at the university.

Basically I believe they are right: you would have to leave within a certain amount of time, because you are no longer studying at the university.

You could find another reason to be in Taiwan - a reason that would give you a visa and a right to remain. Studying Chinese at an approved school should be one reason to stay. Whether you will have to leave Taiwan (for example, a run to Hong Kong or another nearby destination), I am not sure.

If you have not yet applied to a Chinese language school, I would run – not walk – to the office and do so, if you want to use language studies as a reason to stay. You might just be able to avoid having to leave the country.

Dear Terry,

I am already enrolled at a reputable university, for their 3-month Mandarin course.

And, yes. it was a B.A. degree I am pursuing.

Having the above infomartion, what do you think I should do, or may be asked to do to be able to remain in Taiwan, for the next two years?

Thank you very much for insights.

Sincerely,

Vidya

Hi again,
Have you talked to the foreign student advisor at the university where you will be learning Mandarin? He or she should be handling your visa. If you’re already enrolled, it would seem that the worst you could be facing is a quick trip to Hong Kong. It might be possible to get the visa changed without leaving the country. If you’re in Taipei, and you can’t get any information from the university, then I would go to the foreign affairs police and just ask. They are pretty good if you can demonstrate a legitimate case, which it sounds like you have.

Good luck.

Dear Terry,

the course begins on March 1, and since for Sat and this Mon: there will be no service at the police station, I really do not know what to do now, should I show up and they ask me to leave Taiwan for a while, since I do not want to miss my course, and it doesn’t seem to be very easy to get it re-scheduled.

I do not have the personal e-mail address for the foreign student advisor, so I can not contact them.

But, I talked to them shortly, and basically they said I should not be asked to leave Taiwan (Vidya to Terry: maybe they know a certain regulation), but if I did, it would mean NT$ for trrips (he may have implied: not to mention having to miss your classes, and probably the whole term,…) . But I cut short the conversation, because so many people and things wanted and queueing for their attention.

Vidya

Even if you do have to leave Taiwan (ie., if you can’t get your visa switched here), it need only be for a few days. If you enrol at a government-recognized Chinese language school (eg., Shida, Taida, TLI, etc.), you can get a visitor visa for the purpose of studying. You just need to go to Hong Kong to get the visa. It will take at most two days. The language schools are used to helping students get the visa,a nd will tell you what you need to get one.

Where to stay in HK?

How much would everything cost me?

You mean, I will surely get another visa?

And I need to bring my diploma, etc. all over again?

Thank you for replying and replying, :),

Vidya

I stay at the Chungking Mansions – a disgusting hovel, but it’s extremely conveniently located, everyone knows where it is (so finding it the first time should be easy), and it’s cheap. In Hong Kong, cheap accomodations are a rarity.

[quote=“wasVidyasvari”]You mean, I will surely get another visa?
[/quote]People don’t usually have any trouble. What’s your nationality? I don’t mean to imply some nationalities have more problems than others with the visa, but maybe someone from the same country could share their experiences.

You won’t need your diploma to get the visitor visa in Hong Kong. You need a plane ticket out of Taiwan, proof of funds (ie., a bank statement showing you have enough money to support yourself), a document from the school showing you have enrolled, your passport, two photos, and the fee (sorry, I forget how much). I’d also bring documents from the university you were attending showing you were enrolled, though you probably won’t need them.

Hello again, :slight_smile: ,

How much is the hotel per night?

How do I get there from the airport?

So, I will be taking a taxi to the HK TETO?

My passport comes from one of the countries with a sorry human rights record, :(( .

A country that might have used Sanskrit as one of the languages some hundreds of years ago.

No, it is not India.

I have been to some SE Asian countries, HK, and Mainland China, but: I was never alone!

I am terriefied that I may have to travel alone, mostly because of the language barrier and a lack of travelling experience in the past.

Anyway, I will leave Taiwan and come back, should the authorities require me too, sigh.

I still have my return ticket back to my home country, it is an open one, so: no dates, can be used up to Sep 05. Will it present a conflict?

It is just one or two pieces of pink paper(s) and an a cover full of some airport rules.

Does anyone have any experiences in getting a visa in Okinawa?

How do I get there, etc.?

The advisor said it is real easy there, or something to that effect.

Bummer: I speak no Japanese, and hear no Japanese (of course, I understand HAIK and AISHITERU; :P).

I really think I should just go to Japan though (if needed), since I have never been there.

I am VISA FREE for HK, but not for Japan.

Do you think the police will ask me to leave Taiwan right away, or have someone been granted a permission to stay, e.g. for 3 months?

The course is unrefundable for circumstances like mine, at least that is what I understand by reading the announcement from the univ, somewhere inside the guidebook, or on their bulletin boards (the discovery took place: after I have paid!).

O.K. enough for now, I will go to bed now, zzz .

Kang Sia :slight_smile: (How to write: Thank you, in Taiwanese ?),

Vidya

[quote=“wasVidyasvari”]Hello again, :slight_smile: ,

How much is the hotel per night?[/quote]
Chungking is a mass of small hostels all in one big complex. The prices vary. In November I paid HK$150 a night for a room. There are cheaper dorms.

[quote=“V”]How do I get there from the airport?[/quote]There are buses from the airport that go right to Chungking Mansions. Ask at the airport info desk – they can speak English.

[quote=“V”]So, I will be taking a taxi to the HK TETO?[/quote]You can, or take the subway. Chungking M. is in Kowloon. Take the ferry across the bay. A taxi from the Hong Kong terminal of the ferry to the Hong Kong TECO is cheap.

[quote=“V”]I have been to some SE Asian countries, HK, and Mainland China, but: I was never alone!

I am terriefied that I may have to travel alone, mostly because of the language barrier and a lack of travelling experience in the past.[/quote]
I wouldn’t worry about this too much. Hong Kong gets lots of tourists, and many people speak English, although not necessarily well. You should be able to get around all right.

[quote=“V”]I still have my return ticket back to my home country, it is an open one, so: no dates, can be used up to Sep 05. Will it present a conflict?[/quote]Sounds OK.

[quote=“V”]The course is unrefundable for circumstances like mine, at least that is what I understand by reading the announcement from the univ, somewhere inside the guidebook, or on their bulletin boards (the discovery took place: after I have paid!).[/quote]I think you should be able to get a visa. Ask your school for the documents you need. All the schools are used to helping students get visas.

I really thought that all I need is to change the university name on my ARC to the new university I am attending (until I read what is currently on the NPA webpages, or any other related gov.tw webpages, it was not clear what we need to do though, it was only a one sentence thing ).

Do you think I stand a chance to get it done in Taiwan?

The univ I am leaving is asking me to give them my NHI card, I have just paid around 2000 NT for it, I am afraid they would want my ARC as well?

Since the foreign student advisors gave me a dateline for March 2, and I was too tired (I was from Taipe, looking for my head of departement) to say anything, which means I was agreeing to it, since it was not their first time, during my study, to treat foreign students like we were prisoners with no rights- and on Feb 24, my assertive mode was off- having to put on a polite and understanding face all the way through the beaurocrazy to finally get the nod for the leave-taking. Now, it is already in writing, that I will be leaving the univ on March 2, which means they will take my NHI, and Lords know what else.

Anyway, I am hoping that once the vice director knows that I am enrolled in a reputable gov university, she will be able to sort out my challanges with the fs advisors.

My new classes began on March 1, 2005 - and they have put in writing, somewhere on their bulletin board or on the guide book: no refund when our unavailability to attend the classes is due to having insufficient papers to stay in Taiwan.

I did visited the office desk at the university, but they said it was not them, wrong desk- so I be will asking someone up high in the univ, on March 1, 2005.

Thank you very much,

Vidya

Is this the address of the MAC?

mofa.gov.tw/webapp/ct.asp?xI … ctnode=790

mbassies: Chung Hwa Travel Service Hong Kong
Address: 40th Floor, Tower One,
Lippo Centre No. 89
Queensway, Hong Kong
TEL: (002-852) 2525-8315
Emergency TEL: (002-852) 9314-0130
FAX: (002-852) 2810-0591
秘書 (英文): Tang, Diann-wen
EMAIL: rochkg@netvigator.com
URL: www.mac.gov.tw
Location Map: Location Map

Do you have the telephone number and complete address of the Hostel?

Thank you very much :slight_smile: ,

Vidya

[quote=“wasVidyasvari”]Is this the address of the MAC?

mofa.gov.tw/webapp/ct.asp?xI … ctnode=790

mbassies: Chung Hwa Travel Service Hong Kong
Address: 40th Floor, Tower One,
Lippo Centre No. 89
Queensway, Hong Kong
TEL: (002-852) 2525-8315
Emergency TEL: (002-852) 9314-0130
FAX: (002-852) 2810-0591
秘書 (英文): Tang, Diann-wen
EMAIL: rochkg@netvigator.com
URL: www.mac.gov.tw
Location Map: Location Map[/quote]
Yes, this is where you go to get a visa for Taiwan.

The Chungking Mansions is at 36 - 44 Nathan Road, in Tsim Sha Tsui, which is a part of Kowloon. Nathan Road is Kowloon’s main drag; it’s very easy to find, and pretty well anyone will be able to direct you there. In any case, there’s a bus from the airport right to the Mansions.