Will big birds eat the Violet kitty?

I walk my cats most mornings, but for the last week or so these two big birds keep circling above us coming closer and closer as I’m out with them. They look like eagle-type things and they make those high bird-of-prey noises. So, for about a week, we’ve been wondering about this.
Then just last night we watched that movie, “The Proposal”, and an eagle swoops down and grabs this dog, that happens to look exactly like the Violet kitty. That is just too much of a coincidence. Is the Universe trying to warn me?
Or am I just being paranoid?
Could those eagles be after the cats?

If it was just one bird, I’d worry about the kitty. Seeing as it’s two, I think they’re after YOU. :wink:

Ha! Like, why would they pick me when they can have this…???

I worry about that a bit too as my cats go up on the rooftop of the apartment for hours at a time and across the river there are many crested serpent eagles. These are the most common eagles you will see and they make that high pitched short call. However, they should be harmless to cats as they go after snakes (hence the name) and small animals as they simply cannot carry off larger prey.

Find out what kind of birds they are and research the behavior.

[quote=“twonavels”]Ha! Like, why would they pick me when they can have this…???

[/quote]
Wow! Stunning!

[quote=“Mucha Man”]I worry about that a bit too as my cats go up on the rooftop of the apartment for hours at a time and across the river there are many crested serpent eagles. These are the most common eagles you will see and they make that high pitched short call. However, they should be harmless to cats as they go after snakes (hence the name) and small animals as they simply cannot carry off larger prey.

Find out what kind of birds they are and research the behavior.[/quote]

I hope it is that one because I read that they only go for reptiles. But I don’t really see those white marking on the wings, and these only ever give a single cry. Not a series of cries like ones in the crested serpent eagle videos on youtube.
I’ll be googling eagles tonight!

[quote=“jimipresley”][quote=“twonavels”]Ha! Like, why would they pick me when they can have this…???

[/quote]
Wow! Stunning![/quote]

I’ll tell her you said that. She’s very vain and loves it when people outside stop to admire her beauty, although she is never surprised as she is a cat after all, and all cats know they are pure perfection.

Is it one of these? (or something like it?)

http://www.birdingintaiwan.org/Birdsintwn/blackkite.htm

It does look a bit more like that kite when flying because of the feathers on the tips of the wings very clearly sticking out like that, and the all-dark color. I’ll look at them more carefully tomorrow morning if it doesn’t rain. Are those kites very big? These birds seem really big. Luckily it seems like the kites won’t go for kitties either.

I’ve seen some eagles that could carry off a little fluffy bit like your lovely cat. It does seem odd that they would circle and stalk while you are with the cat, though, but maybe they’re hungry? Goodness knows, though, Taiwan shold have enough rodents to support flocks and flocks of eagles.

Anyway, an eagle is no ordinary bird and it could be difficult to fend off with just a wave of the arms. These are very powerful animals, and all that fluffy white fur looks like it might make a wonderful nest lining!

Yes they are quite large but they don’t have strong feet like an eagle - they would get hurt trying to kill a cat. Kites usually take quite small prey or carrion. They may be coming close to you to see if you have any food.

I sometimes see the pair of them flying really high when I’m out alone, but they definitely come a lot closer and will keep circling overhead when I’m out with the cats. We also have a lot of stray kittens around at the moment. Maybe they think they’re rats. Some old lady is feeding stray cats and they just had two new litters of crazy tiny kitties.

Sorry, I’m being OT, but I LOVE the name of this thread and the gorgeous “Violet kitty”. Sorry, don’t have advice on the eating issue. Google Taiwan birds of prey?

It does seem like the birds of prey here are harmless when it comes to cats. That is a relief. I would not want to see some big bird flying off with my Violet kitty.
This is the scene from the movie that made me paranoid because I just happened to watch it the same week as the eagle-things started their circling. And that dog looks just like the Violet kitty.
youtube.com/watch?v=80-7NhJtpww

I adore the Violet kitty. Is it a boy? (My Princess needs a boyfriend).

No, she’s a girl. Could a boy ever be that pretty? :smiley:
This is still one of my favorite Violet photos. Looks like she’s ready for those birds. The birds showed up about 10 minutes after I took them out today, and both cats made for the house. They must be picking up on my paranoid vibe.

I don’t think you need to pay much attention to the birds. Rather worry about ME swooping down on the Violet kitty! :lovestruck:

You should put up some more photos of your Princess. I looked and couldn’t find any? Is she the one that used to have all those seizures? Cats are just so much better that people, aren’t they? :slight_smile:

Yep. That’s the one. I’m such a moron at computer stuff, or I would post some pics. Ms Divea kindly posted a pic of the calendar that we’re in here: My Cat's On a Calendar! - #65 by kage

Unfortunately, you can’t see much of the Princess. Too much of my big, ugly head.

I just love how Persians always manage to look slightly angry in photos. I’m sure if Princess puts on that face no eagle will dare to go near her. She’s gorgeous, though. All cats are just so perfect. I just can’t get enough of them. :slight_smile: