Will buying a stake in a business get me an ARC?

I am a US citizen here on a 6 month extendable visitor visa. No work history in Taiwan. Basically just enjoying an extended vacation.

I’ve been offered the option to purchase 10% of a company here in Taipei.

Is this even possible for me to do? If it is, forget about the mountains of paperwork I’m sure this would entail for a brief second and please tell me; would this get me an ARC of any kind in any way?

Thank you!

Short answer: no. I believe if you have US$1m to invest in gov’t bonds, that buys you an APRC. Simply buying a stake in an unlisted company will not, unless that company will also employ you and sponsor your ARC. It’s certainly possible though, if you want to invest for the sake of investing.

Frankly, it sounds to me like someone is trying to take you for a ride. I’m met a lot of nice Taiwanese people, but not one that I’d trust with more than $10. 99% of them are clueless about both money and business.

[quote=“finley”]
Frankly, it sounds to me like someone is trying to take you for a ride. I’m met a lot of nice Taiwanese people, but not one that I’d trust with more than $10. 99% of them are clueless about both money and business.[/quote]

Thank you for the input! I knew this response was coming and I should have mentioned that this person is a successful businessperson with multiple stores who is a longtime friend of my girl’s family. It was not offered to me directly. It was offered to my lady. She was offered a stake in a new store, and the cost of the option is cheap enough that if it were to help my visa situation I would try to buy my way into it.

Buttttt I guess not.

[quote=“Diomedes”][quote=“finley”]
Frankly, it sounds to me like someone is trying to take you for a ride. I’m met a lot of nice Taiwanese people, but not one that I’d trust with more than $10. 99% of them are clueless about both money and business.[/quote]

Thank you for the input! I knew this response was coming and I should have mentioned that this person is a successful businessperson with multiple stores who is a longtime friend of my girl’s family. It was not offered to me directly. It was offered to my lady. She was offered a stake in a new store, and the cost of the option is cheap enough that if it were to help my visa situation I would try to buy my way into it.

Buttttt I guess not.[/quote]

Well, if you trust this person and you have a background in retail, management or a plausibly-related area (say, IT) then you could discuss an ARC sponsorship (or ask your gf to discuss on your behalf). The process is a lot easier than it used to be, especially for established businesses. You would, of course, have to treat it as a real job, and draw a salary. It’s not just a workaround.

Even so, I would still be wary about investing. Obviously, you know this person better than I do, but even successful business people here make their money through (a) luck and (b) palm-greasing and connections and © noticing that the competition bar is set very, very low. I’ve noticed that people with the business skills you would recognise in “the West” become (and deliberately remain) consultants or one-man-bands. All I’m saying is, do your due diligence first, and don’t assume that because all the other stores are doing well, this one will too; remember, any CEO’s business ultimately rests on the abilities of his middle managers.

A more interesting possibility would be starting your own business. You need to have an accountant to handle your taxes (which can get insanely complicated) but the process of setting up and running a business here is largely red-tape-free and inexpensive. Your company can then sponsor your own ARC. There are entire threads on this subject.