Will foreigners be allowed to stay if war breaks out?

If I’m agreeing with the experts then I’m withdrawing everything I said. My opinions are completely uninformed hogwash, and it’s best they stay that way.

[quote=“cybertai”][quote=“lane119”]Will foreigners be allowed to stay if war breaks out? HUH?

Did I miss something? What’s all this talk about WAR?[/quote]

After PRC takes over Taiwan, will the PRC government allow them to stay?

My guess is also yes.[/quote]

My guess is no. They’ll kick us all out so that we won’t be able to report on what’s going on as they “do a Tibet” to Taiwan. But they won’t admit they’re kicking us out: they’ll claim that they’re “evacuating” us “for our own safety” so that we won’t be endangered by “the remnants of the splittist forces” fighting a guerrilla campaign from their mountain hideouts.

[quote=“Omniloquacious”][quote=“cybertai”][quote=“lane119”]Will foreigners be allowed to stay if war breaks out? HUH?

Did I miss something? What’s all this talk about WAR?[/quote]

After PRC takes over Taiwan, will the PRC government allow them to stay?

My guess is also yes.[/quote]

My guess is no. They’ll kick us all out so that we won’t be able to report on what’s going on as they “do a Tibet” to Taiwan. But they won’t admit they’re kicking us out: they’ll claim that they’re “evacuating” us “for our own safety” so that we won’t be endangered by “the remnants of the splittist forces” fighting a guerrilla campaign from their mountain hideouts.[/quote]

There are also a lot of “western foreigners” in mainland China.
They didn’t get kicked out.

If anything happens, it will definantly be a sad day. I Love my Wife’s Family and what a miserable Life both my Wife and I would be living in we were forced to go back to America (they wouldn’t let us stay) and had to leave our Family here to drink more bitterness, after they’ve suffered so much in the past 100 years.

I wouldn’t say that China would consider it economic or political suicide to invade and conquer Taiwan. Emerging super-power? Yes. But maybe Chinese officials are thinking: “How serious would the world take a country who can’t seemingly control a “renegade” (or recently title “breakaway”) province?” (They protest to countries thinking of getting involved that Taiwan is an internal matter.)

The PLA has been training hard and under reform, if newspaper reports are true. The recent event in Liberia proves that they will use anything to undermine Taiwan. (Liberia sought water from China, water that China agreed to deliver if they cut diplomatic ties to Taiwan. They were desperate, so they did it.)

Why does the Chinese military have an image of a band of weak rednecks with pea shooters? Even leaders and military experts are starting to pepper their essays about the Chinese military with words like “reformed,” “underestimated,” “advanced,” and “modern.” Those words aren’t usually threatening unless applied to people with motives and guns.

But maybe if we are relying on media outlets for true information about the Chinese military, we are going to get fooled?

[quote=“cybertai”][quote=“stragbasher”]
But, if China makes a move, my guess is that the US will sacrifice Taiwan in exchange for a resolution to the Korean issue. They are too overstretched already to fight a war of this magnitude and would rather defeat the axis of evil than oppose an emergent superpower.[/quote]

A lot of experts said the same thing. :s

It’s ironic the reason that US helped defend Taiwan around 50 years ago is “Korean War”. :astonished:[/quote]

nope…that’s not going to happen.

China is the biggest strategic threat to US interests worldwide. Do you think Rummy & Co. is going to sign off Taiwan just because of a problem in N.Korea, think again.

The US maintains it’s global superpower status by two methods

1. Economy
  2. Military superiority

Each factor is equally important in maintaining security of US interests.

The US could easily fight China if it wanted to. China wouldn’t stand a chance, anybody can see that. Sure they could blow up half of Taiwan with their missiles but I hardly see the advantage gained! Many Chinese would strongly disapprove of this unless Taiwan declared independence openly.

Anyway nuclear superpowers engaging would be very unlikely. As long as US stands firm behind Taiwan I don’t see any change whatsoever.

The biggest threat from my point of view is if the KMT takes off the gloves and attempts a coup. Few people think they have the support of the Army for that but if it were to happen the whole island would be put under curfew and nobody goes anywhere.

[quote=“EOD”]Each nation is responsible for evacuating their own citizens. Dependents are almost always treated as citizens. During the missile crisis on the eve of the first election here in Taiwan, elements of the Fifth Air force and Seventh fleet were prepared for the evacuation of 100,000 US citizens and their dependents. The way I understood it at the time that evacuation would be coordinated with other US allies to evacuate nearly all allied foreign nationals from the island.
If the PRC were seriously making plans for an invasion there would be an increased US military presence in the region. At least two carriers and a couple of amphibious groups. There are not which means that there is no intelligence to support the claim of a PRC invasion. The Kitty Hawk is out there for Taiwan’s moral support and to coordinate an evacuation in case of civil war.[/quote]

Where would such an evacuation be done from? It might be a bit difficult to get there if there is a war going on! I am trying to picture myself driving across the Central Mountains to Hualien County with a screaming 4 month old in the back seat…

JOYS!!

Gee and my wife calls ME an alarmist.

:wink:

If the airports were put out of service, the evacuation could be carried out by ship, taking us all to Okinawa and letting us fly on to wherever we wish to go from there. Our governments could collaborate in chartering several cruise liners for the purpose, and it wouldn’t present too many logistical problems.

Just look out for a stray ChiCom sub.

i ain’t never leaving…i shall fight them (bastard waishenren) in the ktv’s, i shall fight them in the massage parlors, i shall fight them in the shabu shabu restaurants…and i shall never surrender…

[quote=“bear64”]i ain’t never leaving…i shall fight them (bastard waishenren) in the ktv’s, i shall fight them in the massage parlors, i shall fight them in the shabu shabu restaurants…and i shall never surrender…[/quote]Yes, those bastard waishenren, Like half of my wife’s family, you want to fight her ? What have they done to you except live here ? So their very existance offends you ?
And while we’re at it, maybe we should fight the bastard asians back home ? and the bastard blacks ? And the bastard Jews ?

The KMT are deserving of your hate, they brought it upon themselves, but please don’t make it racist.

It seems that most of the posters in this thread are ignoring the fact that there are no alerts or travel advisories in place from any Western government at this time. My home country government is typically way ahead of the game when the political situation requires an evacuation.

I’ve got more pressing family obligations back home than I do here. If an evacuation were necessary, I’d have to go home, but I would do so reluctantly, and I’d be back as soon as possible.

I find that facing possible contingencies, while uncomfortable and due to circumstances that are unfortunate, is usually valuable in that it requires one to think carefully about what to do in such situations. My advice is to prepare a plan for getting yourself and your family out of here if the poop does hit the fan. Maintain contacts back home that could lead to a job if necessary. Make sure you’ve got a place to stay if you need to restart back home.

It is also a good idea to have adequate food, water, toiletries, and portable shelter stored in your home in the event that you have to ride out a situation locally.

I talk to people who are much more politically aware than I am about this issue from time to time. None of these informed people, local or foreign, is overly concerned about a mainland invasion in the near future.

Tomas is right. No invasion, no coup. Just more of the same for 2 more months, 6 more months, maybe four more years until next election. That’s all. Just more of the same we’ve seen the last few days. No more sex scandals on TV news, just politics 24/7. Boring.

Spack,

the easiest way to ensure entry to UK for the wife - i am in the identical situation as yourself - is to get a five year multi entry visa in her passport, and make sure it is renewed each time, we use ourts anyway for trips back etc, and in the event of an announced attack, would give you the option, of upping sticks with ALL the family.

BTW, once she was resident in UK for 3 years she could apply for UK citizenship.

fluffy…sorry but i’ve just come from the barricades…one can’t help getting the feeling these people are 80% waishenren and 100% of them (the protesters) do offend me;… of course i know the majority of waishenren are reasonable people but this is basically an ethnic conflict that has been simmering for decades and i’m siding with benshenren…always have always will…doesn’t mean i want to fight with your wifes family…but if it came down to a defence of democracy there is only one side to take…

Maybe a better question would be: If war breaks out, would you want to stay?

I know many of you have families here, but many more do not. How do you feel?

[quote=“canucktyuktuk”]Maybe a better question would be: If war breaks out, would you want to stay?

I know many of you have families here, but many more do not. How do you feel?[/quote]

I have family here. If I can get my wife and daughter out, I will leave. If I can only get my daughter out, I would want to stay, but I am sure my wife would push me onto the plane. If I can’t get my daughter out, I am definately staying and I will even take a gun in my hands and shoot at any ChiCom I get my sights on. Coast Guard training and experience can come in handy!

I second that, ludahai. Even though I’m a USN alum, not a Coastie. :slight_smile:

Me too. Although was part of the Royal Canadian Navy.