Will I avoid US taxes by buying stocks in Taiwan?

I mean, I could, but that’s not true and it will be evident on my tax returns, so isn’t that a bad idea?

I don’t know, say you’re self employed?

Plus they are not the IRS and ultimately you would report your employment to the IRS for tax purpose. I assume they’d submit some kind of IRS forms saying how much you earned or lost through it?

I just feel like putting down a dishonest answer is going to bite me in the ass someday.

Are you speaking from experience? Are you a US citizen working in Taiwan but have US based investment accounts? If so, what are they and how do you manage them?

No I never did investment apart from Walmart’s associate stock purchase (where you can buy Walmart stocks at a slight discount).

So what I said is just conjecture but it seems reasonable that all you had to do is submit the right IRS forms.

The Walmart investment account I had was done by computershare. But I sold it all when I came back to Taiwan for much needed money.

I see. I mean, it might be reasonable, but I’m wary of having different information on my investment account and my income forms. Plus, if I choose unemployed, other than it not being true, the firm could limit what kind of investments I can make coz I’m basically telling them I don’t have any steady income coming in for investing.

Yea I guess it pays to be careful, especially with the US. So many legal gotchas, they are not number 1 in incarceration in the world for nothing.

Try Schwab or Interactive brokers…I PM’d you a referral link to Schwab should you decide to go that route they’ll give you some extra money. It appears I don’t get anything other than your gratitude. :slight_smile:

Can verify. I was sipping on a latte in Xinyi today minding my own business and got pinched. Awaiting my extradition hearing now.

And all I did was HODL GME.

2 Likes

I do have a US employer, but I feel like you should be able to honestly list some version of what you do: consultant, self-employed, etc. These probably do apply to you for US tax purposes. I do regular mutual funds through Vanguard and an employer plan through Fidelity (although I am investing modest amounts). I did open these in the States and use in-laws’ address to maintain them.

As long as one is not selling guns online, should be safe is my guess.

As a US citizen, you are taxed on worldwide income, including financial instruments like ETFs.

Depends on the financial institution. For example, Fidelity will not allow customers overseas to invest.

Remember that you still need to file a tax return and form 2555 to claim FEIE.

1 Like