Will i be able to survive/Company offered me Job

A degree is not necessary to get a work permit, expertise in a relevant industry will suffice especially if a company can show that such expertise is unavailable locally.

Ask then to match your current salary.

Overall its cheaper here than in Austria, but its more expensive than Slovakia for example. I wouldnā€™t move half way round the world for a pay cut. But still ask, if they matched it you would have a serious decision.

Iā€™d say Taiwanā€™s price level is more or less comparable to that of the Czech Republic or Spain. Definitely cheaper than Austria.

If we had all the old emojis I would be torn right now between ā€œno wayā€ (shaking head) and rofl. :2cents:

As somebody who has visited It a few times recently and know folks thereā€¦there are differenceā€¦but in terms of living in a hot urban Asian metropolis, living in nicely serviced and secure apartments, going to shopping malls, improving Subway infrastructure, asianschool system, food choices, concept of face and superstitionā€¦it seems similar enough.
Traffic is really bad there still though ā€¦

I agree with this approach. Evaluating what would be the worst scenario for both paths and if you can handle it can make things clearer for you.
As many here already said, donā€™t make it all about the money. See the experiences you can get it. Especially if you donā€™t have a degree, these are the things that will bring opportunities in your career.

1 Like

I calculated and actually my loss in a year (salary) compared from now to taiwan would be 10k dollar.

Also the COO replied and no change to the package, visa wouldĀ“ve been approved though. So i am not sure about necessary degreeĀ“s, or how he handled it.

I was really hoping to come close to 100k NT$, i will likely decline the offer. He gave me rest of the week to think and decide. Unfortunately my mindset is falling towards the big money loss situation.

So thank you guys for all the advice and tips.

PS: i have to mention that this Taiwan forum is the best iĀ“ve experianced so far, before my job offer i tried to get a job in Seoul. By no chance there is a forum as good as this one for foreigners and expats.

You are 24 y.o., right?

26 why?

To be very honest, I had a friend who was about your age, was a French expat, but signed a contract similar to yours. 60K NTD a month + working visa + national health insurance and probably 15ish days of paid leave.

He loved Taiwan for almost everything except how expensive the good cheese was.

I would say, if they donā€™t give you the 100K NTD salary (which to be very honest is a lot for a 26 yr old with no 4 year degree) try to get rent and moving expenses out of them on top of what the other benefits were. Do not allow them to take away x amount of vacation days for x dollars of rent/moving expense.

In response to your ā€œPSā€, usually many people get flamed hard here. Maybe the niceness of locals rub off on us. Surprisingly, this is one of few threads where flamers and trolls have not derailed the thread.

1 Like

Jesus is working on the flaming bitā€¦

The OP is looking for the moneyā€¦if thatā€™s what heā€™s looking for he wonā€™t get it here. Fair enough.

No.

Let me try. Being the cynical old hand who has seen too much pain, I am thinkling: what is teh worse that can happen?

The worst would be that you come here after leaving everything behind, and they give you a song and dance, dear OP, telling you you are on a 3 month probationā€¦ Then, they starts processing the work permit after that -or so they tell you- and send you on a visa run -on your own dime. Then, they stall and tell you the permit is delayed, some paperwork is neededā€¦ Six months or more can go by. By that time, they finally come out and say they cannot process the work permit. You have been working illegally, and basically are silly putty in their hands as you need the money to go back and by that time, all your bridges home are gone. What would you do then?

We were sort-of assuming that itā€™s a reputable company that isnā€™t run by halfwitted monkeys, but of course that isnā€™t always the case. Thatā€™s why I was suggesting to the OP that he make some proper enquiries about his ARC (and not be fobbed off with ā€˜no problem, no problemā€™). IIRC I had to get the work permit arranged first. As for the work experience thing replacing a degree: yes, Iā€™ve heard of that, but unfortunately it boils down to the say-so of a bureaucrat who may not actually know anything about the job or what it involves.

Anyway, it sounds like to OP isnā€™t ready to take the plunge :slight_smile:

Yep. I was half troling, half serious. I mean, if he gives this step, what would be the worst that can happen? Go home with more experience and other wise empty handed? To start again? Is he going to lose his place in line for the next available cubicle? Not really, right?

I agree. If heā€™s as good as he says, there will always be a blue cubicle waiting for him back home. I think itā€™s a wasted opportunity that heā€™ll look back on 20 years from now and think, ā€œdamn, wish Iā€™d spent some time in Taiwan, instead of sitting here in my nice safe blue cubicleā€. Even the nightmare scenario (stupid boss, bureaucratic problems) are all good life experience.

Still, canā€™t tell people what to do. We can only describe what happened to us, I guess.

1 Like

Yes you are. :grin:

If I were him I would definitely stay in Austria, especially if I were based in Vienna, aka one of the best cities in the world, if not the best.

Yes Vienna, you are the best. Evlybody says so.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zi8ShAosqzI

Second worst thing that can happen: he meets a Taiwanese woman who wraps him around her finger. They get marriedā€¦ and he has to stay here forever, buahahahaha!

2 Likes