Will I receive entry permission?

Dear Forumosa people!

Just a short introduction before I return on-topic. My name is Malvin, 23 years old and I am from the Netherlands. I will study at YunTech University in the upcoming semester (i.e. February - June).

So, I already have booked a round ticket. My inbound flight arrives on February 11th at Taoyuan. My outbond flight will depart on August 11th. This results in a stay of 182 days. However, during my semester I will make some foreign trips (Hong Kong, Shanghai) and I will make a backpacking trip after the end of the semester (from approx. July 1st until August 8th or so). This means I won’t be in Taiwan for 90 days in a row, since I will plan my trips in between this way.

I didn’t apply for a 180 day visa since I planned to leave the country inbetween. But now the question arose, when I arrive at Taoyuan, customs probably requests an outbound ticket which I have but since it is 182 days after my arrival I’m afraid that they won’t accept it.

What are my options?
Just apply for a 180 day visa (single/multi entry)?
Book a foreign trip already which is within 90 days of my first arrival.
Other options?

Thanks guys! Your answers would help me a lot!

Oops, I just found a similar question in forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtop … 7&t=123579. Sorry for opening an extra topic.

But I just want to verify now that I can enter the country without any troubles. Still someone with an answer?

Maybe, maybe not. You roll the dice, they tell you whether you win or lose.

Why not book a trip outbound on day 89 and returning on day 92, going to someplace you plan on going anyway?

[quote=“Varmint”]Maybe, maybe not. You roll the dice, they tell you whether you win or lose.

Why not book a trip outbound on day 89 and returning on day 92, going to someplace you plan on going anyway?[/quote]

Well yeah, that’s always possible off course. But I was wondering this since in that other topic it says that ‘customs dont care, it’s just important for the airline’. So since I do have an outbound ticket, I guess there shouldn’t be any problems. Right?

I hope you do. Sadly I seem to be refused entry permission most of the time :whistle: :pray: :snooty:

And, what happens then?

I was exactly in the same situation like you. Before I arrived I booked a ticket within the 90 days for China Airlines to Hong Kong, because I wanted to go there anyway. I know for China Airlines that they offer the service to change the travel date online and for free. So I did this as soon as I knew when I am free to travel.
I entered Taiwan already three times in the last 4 months and at the customs they only ask you how long you will stay. But the Airlines always wanted to see a return ticket within the 90 days.
I would not go the risk to have problems with entering! Just book a cheap flight within 90 days, because you want to travel there anyway.

1. The airlines are not allowed to let you board without a 90 day onward ticket. They normally ask for a paper copy. Occasionally the airline checkin representative may overlook this when in a hurry or distracted.

The safest option to to have one.

1. What is best to purchase? Everyone has different situations. Adjust the current plan, do a visa run in between, or perhaps just buy a $50 one-way ticket to Philippines and forfeit it if not usable. I bought a ticket on Air Asia last year for $25/NT$800.

[quote=“tango42”]1. The airlines are not allowed to let you board without a 90 day onward ticket. They normally ask for a paper copy. Occasionally the airline checkin representative may overlook this when in a hurry or distracted.

1. What is best to purchase? Everyone has different situations. Adjust the current plan, do a visa run in between, or perhaps just buy a $50 one-way ticket to Philippines and forfeit it if not usable. I bought a ticket on Air Asia last year for $25/NT$800.[/quote]
    Thanks for your reply! I will go for the second option. You’re sure a one-way ticket will do the trick?

You may just as well buy a ticket on Cathay Pacific. Make sure it is business class fare code J. Refunds are free and you can show an actually booking to the check-in agents. Refund the ticket after your arrival in Taiwan. If you purchased the ticket in the same month as you refunded it, both debit and credit will appear on the same bill :slight_smile:

[quote=“malvlex”][quote=“tango42”]1. The airlines are not allowed to let you board without a 90 day onward ticket. They normally ask for a paper copy. Occasionally the airline checkin representative may overlook this when in a hurry or distracted.

1. What is best to purchase? Everyone has different situations. Adjust the current plan, do a visa run in between, or perhaps just buy a $50 one-way ticket to Philippines and forfeit it if not usable. I bought a ticket on Air Asia last year for $25/NT$800.[/quote]
    Thanks for your reply! I will go for the second option. You’re sure a one-way ticket will do the trick?[/quote]

Well, Philippines (and Thailand) also require an onward ticket so also need to think about that if traveling to those countries